What's new

OK Tomodachis

Timsan

後輩
4 Dec 2003
I will be in the Tokyo/Chiba area from June 15th-September 5th at KUIS through a study abroad program at my college as I continue to learn the Japanese language. During the last few weeks of this trip my parents will be visiting me. I have been to Japan before and have seen many of the tourist attractions in Kyoto and Tokyo, and so I would like to spend my last two to three weeks of free time experiencing unique thrills that both a college student and his parents could enjoy. I remember reading about a sort of spa town, but I do not remember where that is or how pricey it would be to go there. If you have ANY suggestions, that would be gladley appreciated. In terms of travel, I believe Sapporo is game, but I am mostly interested in what secrets Honshu holds.
Domo!
Tim

EDIT:

I meant from JUNE 15th, NOT August.

Last edited:
Enjoy that incredibly hot, humid, sticky and nasty rain weather?

I don't know if you've been to Japan during the summer and into september but that's like when it's incredibly humid and it rains, not only does it rain though but the rain mixed in with the humidity and pollution kind of makes you think of acid rain or something because when it touches you it's warm and gross.

I personally prefer not to go to Japan in the summer and on into October for that reason, the weather is gross and sure you could buy an umbrella and a raincoat no problem but the weather changes people's behaviour and that can have potential impact on the "success" of your trip.

I can study Japanese whenever I want in America and so when I hear of people flying over to Japan to study Japanese I feel they should be studying common sense instead.

*** But have a fun trip, don't take any of this as an insult or like I'm talking down your trip or anything. You'll have a great time no matter what, it is Japan right?

Josh

Oh yeah and you shouldn't make the word "tomodachi" plural in your topic, tomodachi means friends too (friend, friends, you know?) And plus that's like speaking Japenglish which is far from cool, like saying "Hey does she like gaijin? She is choo kawaii." Yeah, punch me.

Hi Timsan!

Great to hear your parents will come to enjoy Japan! 👍
I'd say don't forget to take your parents to Kyoto/Nara because the area is A MUST for any tourist!

As for unique thrills, I think there are many, and I'm sure Nagashima-san can come up with many. But, here's my two yen:

Nikko area: You go see the Nikko Toshogu (where Tokugawa Ieyasu is enshrined; also World Heritage Site), take a dip in the hot springs of Kinugawa, and go to this very funny place--a simulated Edo town:
http://www.kinugawa.ne.jp/facilities/edomura/edomura.html

Take pictures, enjoy ninja demonstrations, funny shows, and other Edo Period enactments!

I'll come back if I can think of more! 🙂

Addendum: If you plan to stay in Kinugawa Hot Springs, there is a full range of hotels and Japanese-style inns--from budget to luxury! Also, Nikko is cooler (less humid) than Tokyo during summer.

Last edited:
YOBARETE TOBIDETE JAJAJA-JA-N!!🙂

At first it is gourmet information
"Ushikouツ honten"
A sukiyaki restaurant.
Decoration of a restaurant is Japanese-style
Because it is a restaurant doing a high-quality Japanese cow, dinner is high
About 5,000 yen
However, I recommend lunch because a Japanese cow is eaten for lunch menu 1,050 yen.
A restaurant is popular with office workers.
You had better go to a restaurant at about 12:50 when the lunch break is over.
(Attention)
This restaurant cannot use a credit card.
There is a restaurant in a place hard to find.
You had better make a preliminary inspection.
牛幸本店:ホームページ移転しました
A gourmet map of Tokyo
すき焼き

Thanks for the suggestions, especially epigne. As for the rest of you, thanks for being typically american.

You should go festival in tokyo. i really miss those. it called "ennichi"or"matsuri". last time i was in Tokyo i went to festival in Azabu-jyuban. Azabu is near roppongi but more rich and nicer area. it was great. great food and beer ;) i think it was during august.

Back
Top Bottom