What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Offline degree vs online degree?


29 Nov 2009
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newbie. =^_^= I hope I'm not asking a stupid question. But I already have like 3 years of college under my belt. But I don't have time to go to a physical college. I'm employed full time. I know that I would still have to work hard though. But is an online degree from an accredited college, including the brick and mortar stuff, good enough for a work visa? Thanks. 😊


16 Apr 2008
Reaction score
I don't think I quite understand your question...are you asking how you can obtain a *work* visa for Japan? or are you asking the general question if " physically attending college classes is better than an obtaining an online degree".

You can obtain a Work Visa for 90 days depending on your citizenship and country of origin.
You may need to consult with your Country's Consulate in Japan to see what their guidelines are. I don't believe education is considered in the application, but if you intend on working in Japan for an extended period of time you need to have the company hiring you sponsor you or act as your guarantor:
Japan: Work visa process

Now if you are talking about a *student* visa, then you may need to follow different procedures and declare your purpose of study. You can't obtain work while under a Student Visa. I don't know if there are any guidelines regarding online study but I don't think you can declare that.

In general, I think more people are starting to accept and look differently at online colleges and the certificates obtained through them. More and more traditional colleges are starting to offer online degrees as well so I think it is very much an alternative especially for those going back to school or wanting to earn advanced degrees.


Just me
20 Aug 2003
Reaction score
Your post is full of holes, JTM.

You cannot get a work visa for 90 days. Work visas are issued for one or three years.
Work or Long-term stay

Perhaps you are thinking of a working holiday visa, but even they are offered for 6 months at a time, not 90 days.
The Working Holiday Programmes in Japan

Also, it is very easily possible to get work under a student visa.
Immigration Services Agency of Japan
You might want to read your own link:
"Student visa holders are not allowed to engage in any paid activities, unless they get the permission of the school and the immigration office. Even then, students may work only a set maximum number of hours per week. "

What prompted you to reply to a 7-month-old post, anyway?
Top Bottom