What's new

Occupation as Independent Contractor

TGI-ECT

先輩
6 Jan 2007
I had a problem during my registration at the city hall and I hope someone might be able to help me.

When it came time to fill in the section related to "occupation" we had a lengthy discussion about the title "independent contractor". I was told, "Not popular in Japan.", which translates to 'not specific enough'.

"Yes", I told them, "my primary work might very well include language instruction at this time, but that could change in 6 months, and I am even now engaged in other language support work: writing, copy editing, online work."

"Self-employed?"

"Not popular."

So we skipped that part for today, and I told them I'd come back next week with some ideas on what Japanese language title could be "popular".

It has become more common over the past few years for the language instruction providers to act as sub-contractors and we the instructors are used as independent contractors, and that trend will not change.

Have any of you tried to register yourselves as such? If so, what nomenclature did you use? I mean, in Japanese.

There isn't a problem with an answer in this sub-forum to be written in romaji, is there?

I'd appreciate advice, because I am not going to allow myself to be conveniently categorized as something I am not. I am not anybody's employee. My taxes are higher than those that are classified as an employee. I think if big business wants to save money at my expense, then the local governments had better get with the times and figure out how to categorize the new kind of worker.

The term you're looking for is "jieigyou" 自営業 (self-employed, which I realize you said they rejected, but I offer it in case you didn't try that specific term).

If all else fails, give the name of what you currently do (language instruction). If the nature of your self-employment changes to something different in the future, all you have to do is go back and change it. They'll flip the card over and with an ink pen write in your new occupation. The thing isn't carved in stone, and you needn't wait until the card comes up for renewal in order to make corrections to it. My card has had hand-written corrections as a matter of routine.

Hopefully the above will allow you to stand by your principles while mollifying the hide-bound petty public officials. Or you can continue butting heads with them. Your choice.

Thank you for the response.

Thank you, Mike. Any thoughts on using "keiyakushain"?

That's become recognized by most credit card institutions when used by a

Japanese national, why not for a foreigner at the city hall.

And it is just about on target.

A 契約社員 is somebody's employee, which I thought you were not.

I'm not entirely familiar with the intricacies of Japanese labor law and the minute differences between seishain, paato, arubaito, etc.....but I'm pretty sure there is a distinction. And part of the the reason for the keiyakushain thing is to make it easier for companies to eliminate staff without repercussions from the labor standards board or lawsuits.

For example:

My wife works part time at a factory. Until recently, she was classified as パート at work. Then a few weeks ago a woman who was a disruptive b*tch and useless worker was let go. She went straight to the LSB (労働基準局 ろうどうきじゅんきょく); do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. Now the company has a government investigative board crawling up its butt with a magnifying glass and will probably end up having to pay the woman off or hire her back.

This prompted the company to tell all the パート that they were being converted to keiyakushain, on 6 month contracts with no promise of renewal. My wife was worried about this, but I told her it was just a step to make it easier to remove unproductive and/or disruptive workers in the future.

As to why it is accepted by credit card institutions for Japanese but not for foreigners at city hall.....you're really talking apples and oranges there.

The credit companies want to know the nature of employment (full-time, part-time, contracted) in order to determine what sort of credit to extend, if any. They don't actually care what the nature of the task you perform is, just so long as they can get a read as to how secure/steady your employment (i.e. source of cash inflow) is.

The city hall has to find out the nature of the work you perform, since for most of us the nature of work we are legally allowed to do varies by our visa classification and a change in the nature of work may or may not involve a change in one's eligibility to remain in the country.

Firstly, that company your wife works for may not be putting themselves at such an advantage, because I seem to recall that the Labor Standards Laws cover those that work under contracts, yet are employees. Something like after a contract has been renewed a certain number of times the worker has just about the same rights as a regular employee.

I'm also somewhat surprised to hear about such ツ"energyツ" from a branch of the LSB. My experience in the past is that they are very sluggish, at best.

Anyway, back to this keiyakushain. I thought the term was being used for those that are dispatched to another company for, say a 6-month term, but are not actually an employee of either the sub-contractor or the primary contractor. That is what the major language service providers are doing, dispatching teachers as independent contractors not employees.

In addition, I intend to open a language school within the next few months. Prior to that, maybe this week, I'll be starting a web site service. I might very well continue to supplement my income through the services of a sub-contractor, but I could become a sub-contractor myself.

I did discuss with the gentleman at the city hall about just coming back and updating the card every time my type of employment/source of income changes, but that seems rather a waste of time when I am already an independent contractor beholden to no one company. It seems this is a good opportunity to nail this one down correctly the first time.

Of course, there may not be any ツ"correctlyツ".

Actually, I was surprised they allowed a delay in making a decision on that point. I guess being stubborn has merit sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom