What's new

Obliged to resign = 辞職をされた

J44xm

経験値が足りない
6 Dec 2004
その大臣は内閣からの辞職を余儀なくされた。
The minister was obliged to resign from the Cabinet.

Is this translation correct? I'm not understanding why させられた wasn't used.
おわかりの方、手伝ってください。m(_ _)m

First of all, I'm not familiar with this story (time to hit the papers ~ !). But speaking purely grammar-wise 余儀なくされた seems to have the connotation more it was an act "done out of necessity," not specifiying a locus agent, rather than the causative-passive "was forced to" (strong-armed) by some unnamed outside player. ?? :?

You can use 辞職させられた instead of 辞職を余儀なくされた. But 余儀なくされる has a nuance of "to be pushed in the state of no other way to do," so is often focused more on "to be pushed in the state," as same as ~に追い込まれた.

Thank you for the comments! The usage of the 受身 here was throwing me off and I didn't realize that 余儀なくされた was something of a set expression. Fascinating.

(Oh, this is just an example sentence, by the way. The story it's from could be years old!)

(Oh, this is just an example sentence, by the way. The story it's from could be years old!)
Oh, I should have seen that ! :D

Forced to resign I think is normally more as ~~せざる得なかった or ~~させられた ?? 🙂

And 辞職 again for resigning politicians. I've always expected it to be 退任 or 辞任 (sometimes it is this) to imply giving up a position of high regard or high responsibility. 辞職 is to quit an ordinary job.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say that 余儀なくされる seems really similar in meaning to せざるを得ない, except its use is a bit limited because it usually follows an action noun (e.g., 辞職, 避難所暮らし, or I guess just 避難). For instance, 辞職せざるを得なかった seems to me to mean pretty much the same thing as 辞職を余儀なくされた, but I wonder if that's actually the case.

To me せざるをえない has more emphasis on one's decision (to have no choice but doing xxx) while 余儀なくされる sounds one is against it but forced to do so by the third party (not necessarily by a person but also by the circumstances etc).

Oh, alright. Thanks. Where does わけにはいかない fit into this? I was thinking that it was more along the circumstances line as well. Maybe it's closer to 余儀なくされる than せざるを得ない is.

余儀なくされる means 余儀ない状況にされる or "to be pushed into the state" as I wrote above. So it's more close to ~しないわけにはいかなくなる/~せざるをえなくなる. Although 余儀なくされる emphasizes more on "forced by someone/something," as undrentide-san pointed out.

To me せざるをえない has more emphasis on one's decision (to have no choice but doing xxx) while 余儀なくされる sounds one is against it but forced to do so by the third party (not necessarily by a person but also by the circumstances etc).
Thanks ! That makes sense. I went back and checked when the "Drunk" Japanese Finance Minister 中川氏 resigned a year ago Feb in face of protests, and that seems to have been described in the papers more as 辞任に追い込まれた/辞職を余儀なくされた than 辞職する羽目になる or 辞任せざるをえない etc。

[しないわけにはいかなくなる] works here too, I suppose. As it was a decision not made from obligation or responsibility or incompetence but owing to some external circumstances that blocked any other choice.

AFAICT. :D

Last edited:
I just came across this 実例 of 余儀なくされる so I thought I'd post it here.

[バンコク 7日 ロイター] タイのアピシット首相は7日、反政府勢力のデモが 1カ月近く続いている首都バンコクに非常事態宣言を発 令した。デモ隊は議会を襲撃し、政府当局者らはヘリコ プターでの避難を余儀なくされた。
出典: http://jp.reuters.com/article/topNew...14711520100407

How about that? It's paired up with 避難.

Hmm, as for the difference between 避難せざるを得なかった and 避難せざるを得なくなった, the former seems to put focus more on the result; "避難した", whereas the latter more on the situation to me. 避難を強いられた may fit in that context.

Hmm, as for the difference between 避難せざるを得なかった and 避難せざるを得なくなった, the former seems to put focus more on the result; "避難した", whereas the latter more on the situation to me. 避難を強いられた may fit in that context.
Also I was thinking what about the conjugated forms of しか ~ない, ~なければ etc. instead of ざるを得なかった ? Especially しか ~ない, ざるを得ない seem very similar in that they are both restricted to "no choice" situations and may have slight differences in emphasis but should both express equally well "forced to leave and enter the shelter."

As far as ~なければならなかった can be conceived as an obligation (should, must, have to) AND "forced"/"no choice" situation, I suppose in that usage it may come off as undesirably vague. ☝

余儀なくされる means 余儀ない状況にされる or "to be pushed into the state" as I wrote above. So it's more close to ~しないわけにはいかなくなる/~せざるをえなくなる. Although 余儀なくされる emphasizes more on "forced by someone/something," as undrentide-san pointed out.
「やむをえず」is also forced into an action against ones will. But I wonder if it doesn't implies and ongoing situation in which the subject is being forced to participating in an inevitable conclusion - one that hasn't yet been taken.

More like a reluctant action in English. "Because I could find no other path (to choose), I did it." 仕方ない」と「仕方なく」

I saw it here :
政府の対策について、山田農林水産副大臣から説明を受けた宮崎県の東国原知事は「この段階ではやむをえない決定だ。

I'm kind of turning this into the 余儀なくされる thread. Here's another example of its use:

この問題に対策するため、今月に予定していたインドネ シア、オーストラリア訪問の再延期を余儀なくされていて、原油がいつ止まるのかはオバマ政権 の行方にも影響を与えかねない状況になっています。

I transcribed it myself from a news clip about the oil spill that won't stop. :(
I hope there are no errors.

I'm kind of turning this into the 余儀なくされる thread. Here's another example of its use:
この問題に対策するため、今月に予定していたインドネシア、オーストラリア訪問の再延期を余儀なくされていて、原油がいつ止まるのかはオバマ政権の行方にも影響を与えかねない状況になっています。
I transcribed it myself from a news clip about the oil spill that won't stop. :(
I hope there are no errors.
Interesting. Where is this from ? That must be a less common alternative. I've seen this story several times and none of them used anything like a word that implied 余儀なくされていて as in frustration, has had to, wanted to go but was talked into staying etc.

Does it mean also the president is forced into appreciating the ecological and financial catastrophe that is spiraling out of control in the Gulf of Mexico ? :(

I didn't think it was implying frustration, just that he had no choice but to put off the visits to Indonesia and Australia for a little while to take care of the problem.

I got it from a Youtube video that was embedded in Google ニュース's page. I don't remember whose it was, and it's gone from that page now.

Oh, OK. I'm not sure but 余儀なく doesn't seem neutral enough to be used in most print media without insinuating something about the way the decision was made. ??

今月中旬に予定していた両国歴訪を延期すると伝えた。
米史上最大規模になった南部ルイジアナ州沖の原油流出事故への対応を優先したとみられる。
米大統領、アジア歴訪3回目の延期 原油流出で

オバマ米大統領が今月13日から予定していたオーストラリア、インドネシア訪問を延期するとの声明を出した。
米通信社によると、メキシコ湾沖の海底油田事故への対処などが理由という。
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/4809430/

ホワイト・ハウスのロバート・ギブズ広報官は、「大統領がケビン・ラッド首相に電話し、決定を伝えた。また、インドネシアのスシロ・バンバン・ユドヨノ大統領にもインドネシア訪問延期を伝えた」と発表した。さらに
「オバマ大統領は、延期はまことに申し訳ない。原油流出問題が片付き、なるべく早く両国を訪問できることを期待していると語った」としている。
25today.com - This website is for sale! - 25today Resources and Information.

ホワイトハウスは今回の延期理由を明らかにしていない。
http://www.bloomberg.co.jp/apps/news?pid=90920008&sid=aWrgzgQszNmo :confused:

Last edited:
この問題に対策するため、今月に予定していたインドネ シア、オーストラリア訪問の再延期を余儀なくされていて、原油がいつ止まるのかはオバマ政権 の行方にも影響を与えかねない状況になっています。
A bit off topic, but この問題に対策するため might be この問題に対処するため, by any chance? ;)

I kind of thought that too when I was transcribing it, but it didn't sound like 対処 to me. I could have sworn he was saying 対策. I listened to it a few times, too, and I was still hearing something more like 対策 than 対処. But my ears have been known to deceive me... (for instance, for years I thought a certain lyric was "walking scared let me tell ya," but it turns out it's actually "walking stiff let me tell ya." My little brother pointed that out to me and I was sure he was wrong until we listened to it together. But then again I'm really awful at understanding lyrics...)

この問題の対策のため would be fine, too. (or may be just the announcer's grammatical mistake 😅)

Back
Top Bottom