What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Non-Joyo kanji

Monica9191

Registered
Reaction score
I need to find the translation for a non-joyo kanji. The root is mizu (Nelson 3030:water) combined with oku (Nelson 1165:heart, interior). Printed together with kuni/koku. What country, what area? Concerns 19th century.

joadbres

八方凡人
Reaction score
It could be Austria or Australia. Both countries have been written with that character as the first character. (Although both have been written in other ways, as well.)

According to the Japanese-language wikipedia page for kanji country names, the abbreviated form (i.e., just that one character) was used to represent Australia in both China and Taiwan, so Australia is the most likely answer, especially if your source material is written in Chinese.

source: 国名の漢字表記一覧 - Wikipedia

Monica9191

Registered
Reaction score
It must be Austria then! I have seen another kanji used, but this would also make sense. Thanks a lot joadbres! Neither was I aware of the Wikipedia page for country names, so thank you again!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Incidentally, the most common kanji abbreviation for Australia is 豪州(濠洲 in the traditional form) in Japanese.

joadbres

八方凡人
Reaction score
One other useful resource is kanjipedia.

The kanjipedia entry for that character makes it clear that in Japanese (but not necessarily Chinese, which may differ) it stands for Austria. Although the Wikipedia page also mentions Australia as a possibility, the kanjipedia page makes clear that Austria is the most likely meaning, when the character is used to refer to a country.

source: 澳 | 漢字一字 | 漢字ペディア (definition #4)

Top Bottom