What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Nominate the best Manga you ever read.

Fugu

Poisonous but sweet!
Reaction score
Twisted asked for to you nominate the best Anime that you ever saw and I resolved to complement it with this enquiry about the best Manga.
Watsuki Nobuhiro's "Rurouni Kenshin" stills as my favorite.

TomAsInfinity

Kouhai
Reaction score
I haven't reall read many Manga books. I read more of the Viz pulp graphic novels and even that is limited. It's pretty harsh at times and very violent, but I really like "Sanctuary" and "Strain" with art by the masterful Ryoichi Ikegami. I am not sure if I can name my fave Manga, but my fave artist is Ikegami. You really need to check out his attention to detail in some of the landscape drawings he does to know the upper end of magnificence in comic-book art

Harvey

先輩
Reaction score
ニ淡ニ停?。ニ淡ニ停?。窶堙固?テッ窶点窶堙遺?伝ナ陳ッツ。
Jojo no kimyou na bouken.
jojo's strange adventure?

cool stuff

Scott

Sempai
Reaction score
I find Ranma 1/2 both hilarious and entertaining to read.

Shinmeiryu

Sempai
Reaction score
Love Hina for me. It's the only long running manga I've completed in its entirety. Though a typical shounen-romance storyline, the character development was a strong factor.

Motoko Aoyama is good. Why else would I have this forum name. :)

moyashi

Sempai
Reaction score
Have you read the novel series too by the name "Miyamoto Musashi", Eiji Yoshikawa?

Also, Musashi also has a book out called "Go Rin no Wa" or "Book of 5 Rings".
It's Musashi's interpretation of his technique with a mixture of the classic milatary Arts of Sun Tzu.

:)

nukleareraffe

先輩
Reaction score
Yes, i read the novel, but it was a shortened german version. One day i'll try the japanese full version.

I've also seen the Mifune movies. They are really good, too. The "gorin no sho" is quite interesting, but i don't know anybody who understood the sword-technique part. I do Iaido and Aikido, but if you just read it it's very hard to understand.

Eiji Yoshikawa also wrote a niece piece on Toyotomi Hideyoshi. I think it shows the life in the sengoku period really good. Well, it's a novel.

MHtrStevie

Sempai
Reaction score
Although I really did enjoy "Video Girl Ai", it recently was replaced on the top of my manga list by "Lone Wolf and Cub". Absolutely stunning...

I really did like Kenshin as well, though...

:confused:

nukleareraffe

先輩
Reaction score
Yeah, Lone Wolf and Cub (or Okami) is really good. But it is more "art" than the usual manga-style, what makes it a little more difficult to read i think.

lineartube

free spirit
Reaction score
Ikegami... love it! I have a few manga issues of Crying Freeman and the artwork is beautiful.
But my favourite manga has to be Ghost In The Shell by Masamune Shirow. The guy doesn't just draw, he writes some of the best sci-fi covert-ops stories I have ever read.
On a merit note, the first manga I read and still love was Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira. The movie didn't made justice to it.

Ancella

Sempai
Reaction score
I like GTO and rurouni Kenshin:D

#nukleareraffe
well... I'm a kendoist. And you right, it's hard to understand if you just read it. You play Iaido?? wow!!!👍
It's hard to look for Iaido dojo around here
:( hicks... hicks....

Marc

先輩
Reaction score
Originally posted by animecartoons
RANMA 1/2! RANMA 1/2! :D

I don't know if it's the best, but it's the funniest I've ever read:D
Inuyasha is great but it's almost identical to the anime, so there're no surprises. Rurouni Kenshi is a classic. Nah, I don't know, there so many great artwork that I can't nominate one.

Wait, wait! Just remembered, Crayon Shin-chan is the funniest manga ever :D

Luz-chan

先輩
Reaction score
Hm....it's a toughy for me. I have a lot of favorites, but here's the short version:
Chobits
Rurouni Kenshin
Gravitation(the Remix, too *sly giggle*)
Utena
Inu Yasha
Ranma 1/2
Card Captor Sakura
X/1999
Fushigi Yuugi
Ayashi no Ceres

youki

後輩
Reaction score
I like Angel Sanctuary, X/1999 and Kenshin the best.
But Mars is also great.

tasuki

先輩
Reaction score
For me 窶斗窶堙娯?冢窶ケ窶ヲ窶堙ーナステァ窶堙≫?堙 (Please save my earth) is at the top.

Top Bottom