What's new

Nintendo DS and learning games?

Soloistic

後輩
9 Jun 2007
I have heard that the DS has some educational games on it to help one learn kanji. I sorta googled the games and found that they are all purely in Japanese (Not a bad thing, but as a some what beginner still it seems a little much.)

Basically I am wondering if there are any good games I could get for learning Kanji, or grammar or vocabulary etc. If I pick up a DS from my local store, would these games from Japan work on it?

Sorry if this was talked about previously, but I didn't find much on it here using the search.

Here's a thread I posted a while ago about it.

I believe that the sequels are out as well, with more questions and mini-games.. I wish I had time to play them! Haven't touched my DS in months.. :(

Thanks for the reply. So out of the games you listed, would you say that these two are of better choice to try?

漢検DS(Kanken DS)
Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-kun

If you're only looking to improve your basic kanji skills, at a beginner's level, I'd go for Tadashii Kanji no Kakitori Kun.
- It only has the 1006 kanji taught on elementary school
- A bit more strict on stroke order

KankenDS also test your ability to name the parts of the kanji and 4-word proverbs (yonmoji jyukugo), and has more mini-games. Also, it contains more Kanji, which is handy if you're already advanced.

I've been looking for something to spend my time on bus and train while going to college; this might be it. Haven't got a Nintendo DS yet, but I might buy one in Japan this spring. Anyone knows how much they cost at the moment in Japan ?

Can I find the games that are mentioned here easily in Japanese electronic stores or should I order them online ?

Can anyone confirm whether a North American market DS will play these kanji games? I would definitely buy a DS if Japanese games worked on it.

Well I'm wondering if I can avoid that whole 'backup' thing.., is it possible to buy North American DS's, Japanese games, and just use them together?

Well I'm wondering if I can avoid that whole 'backup' thing.., is it possible to buy North American DS's, Japanese games, and just use them together?
I'm pretty sure you can.. I haven't tried though; I bought mine in Japan as well because of the price differential.

However, I don't remember the gameboy, gamegear or any other hand-held game device being bound regionally.. You're supposed to travel with it, right?

Ah well, I did a little Googling and peeps on this site say that it has no regional encoding.. Go for it!!

Don't get the "Kanken DS" one!
In my opinion that's one of the worst Kanji Games ever, especially because you can't look up the readings or practise how to write the Kanji!
I don't know about "Tadashii Kanji no Kakitori Kun" but I got "Nazotte oboeru, otona no kanji renshuu" and I'm really happy with it...
*ww.nowpro.co.jp/products/game/kanzen/index.html

Don't get the "Kanken DS" one!
In my opinion that's one of the worst Kanji Games ever, especially because you can't look up the readings or practise how to write the Kanji!
You're right in the fact that Kanken can not be used as a piece of reference or dictionary. The game is not intended to serve that purpose. I think it is meant to serve people who want to practice their Kanji knowledge, which they have acquired through other means. In my humble it is not a bad game.
I don't know about "Tadashii Kanji no Kakitori Kun" but I got "Nazotte oboeru, otona no kanji renshuu" and I'm really happy with it...
www.nowpro.co.jp/products/game/kanzen/index.html
Almost forgot about that one! I got that one too, but the fact that it is age-based kind of put me off after a few tries.. I filled in 28 and then had to deal with Kanji's I never saw before!! :D It's good though. I should give it a try again soon!!

Nintendo DS games are region-free. You can play any country's games on any system.
And if you are looking for reviews of the games out there, check out my site.

The game is not intended to serve that purpose. I think it is meant to serve people who want to practice their Kanji knowledge, which they have acquired through other means.
Not to practise.... in my opionion just to test it!
And they kind of always use the same words...

I got that one too, but the fact that it is age-based kind of put me off after a few tries.. I filled in 28 and then had to deal with Kanji's I never saw before!! :D It's good though. I should give it a try again soon!!
Well, you don't need to use your real age!
Just fill in that you're 5, then you can begin with the first graders kanji.
The mini-games are also fun :)
Since I bought this game I have completely forgotten about my Kanken DS one...

Back
Top Bottom