What's new

"Nihonto" sword signatures

Acoyauh

後輩
1 Nov 2016
I was recently given a collection of swords that I believe to be Chinese replicas, but they are really pretty with really fine handicraft, so I don't really mind on their authenticity. However, for those that have a signed blade, I would like to know what the signature says, or if it means anything at all. I understand many Chinese replicas have "signatures" written in Chinese or gibberish kanji, so let me know if this is the case here.
So, here are photos of the "really real, authentic, no bs I swear" Nihonto signatures :p and I would really appreciate anyone helping make some sense of these thingies I got.
Thank you!
china1.jpg
china 1

china2.jpg
china 2
classic1.jpg
classic 1
classic2.jpg
classic 2

Thank you!

Attachments

• classic1.jpg
    classic1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 115
  • classic2.jpg
    classic2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 110
Your picture is upside down.
小林次郎
Kobayashi (Japanese surname) Jirō (Japanese male given name)

Doesn't make sense.

佐田正川一郎
Sada (surname) Shōkawa/Masakawa (surname) Ichirō (male given name)
Quite odd that two surnames are there.

Doesn't make sense.

Toritoribe,
Thank you so much for such a quick answer. I got 2 translations more than I expected =D
I'll do some light research on those names (still don't believe any of them swords are really Japanese) and see what I can find.
I really appreciate your taking the time for this =)

Edit: LOL Jirō Kobayashi is a character in a Japanese TV series =P that's rich!

Last edited:
Edit: LOL Jirō Kobayashi is a character in a Japanese TV series =P that's rich!
It's quite reasonable that there are many people of the same name since both Kobayashi and Jirō are very very common names just like John Smith.

Thank you, Toritoribe. I will search deeper then, maybe I come up with something better then a soap opera =)

I really appreciate you taking the time to illustrate a novice, you guys are great!

Probably it's useless to search the name, I'm afraid. The fake sward smith would just use a plausible Japanese name without knowing how odd it is as an old Japanese name.

Back
Top Bottom