What's new

Newbie first post! Tattoos!

Bumpinmyvolvo

Epic Bass!
7 Sep 2010
Well someday in the future I will plan on moving to Japan. I will first finish up college, save up some money for a while, take a nice trip over there and see how it will be like to live there before I dive into it. But one question among others seems to worry me about moving to Japan.
As of the moment I'm 19 and have 3 tattoos on me(planning on quite a few more!)
So how would I be "judged" so to say in Japan for having these tattoos?
By the end of the year I will most likely have a half sleeve on my left arm.

It seems to be less of a big deal with each passing year, and depending on the crowd, tattoos aren't that uncommon anymore. You might have a spot of trouble if you really like onsen.

You might have a spot of trouble if you really like onsen.
Is there one I could go to without being shunned? Also one huge question I would love to have answered too. Is there any good CAR AUDIO shops, because that's one thing in my life I love and would like to see what japan has when it comes to some bass!

You're a foreigner so you'll just be thought of as a foreigner, except one with tattoos.

If you work here you'll be expected to cover them of course.

If I really had to guess I'd say having tattoos will polarize the response you get from others slightly more. A few young folks or others with tattoos may think you're cooler than you would have been without them, but on the whole most working adults will think a little less of you for having them. But as I mentioned, most people won't think of you at all.

As for car audio, not a big industry here. Car stereos are loud and disruptive to local neighbourhoods so not many people go for big sound. I'm sure large electronics retailers have products available but it's not a huge craze here like it is back in the West. I doubt you'll get your hands on anything you can't somehow get back home as far as car audio goes.

Among the crowd I knew, tattoos were not good. I would say that if you want to revel in your foreigness, go ahead, but if you plan on assimilating into the culture, hold off on the tattoos.

Thanks for the responses everybody! I will definitely keep my tats wrapped then. I got my tattoos where no one can see them because my current job doesnt like them anyway. So hiding them shouldn't be much of an issue.

I think it would depend greatly on your tattoo ( the drawing, what it says, what it entitles)
as well as the location of your tattoo and size ( whether it is discreet or all out and about)

I know certain regions have groups were tattoos are a way of identifying them.
So as you can see, there are many variables when it comes to that.

Mainstream wise, they should be more common in "pop culture" rather than in the traditional culture. So once again the region should be a good indicator of the response.

The only thing I would say is, be careful if you have any 'Japanese' tattoos. You don't know what these really say unless you did your research and came up with the symbols yourself from an official source, so be wary of that.

Tats in Japan

Being in the military (name check) I have 2 tats... not large and easily hidden (one on the left arm and one on the back of my right shoulder). I frequently go to Japan for buisness and vacation, I will be stationed there for the third time in Feb 2011. Here is my personal advice. Think about the situations you might want to be in; jobs, relaxation, relationships, etc...

In Japan the tattoo still holds a negative stigma, yes they are becoming more prevelant among young people BUT they are not widely socially accepted yet. Expect to be shunned if you have a sleeve or anything that is visible.

Unless you are going to work in a Tattoo shop you will have to hide them on a daily basis.

Forget onsens... it took me and my wife about a month to find one that accepted me, my tattoos are small (approx 7" x 3" and 4" x 2") and they are not Japanese. Unless you are willing to pay for the "private" rooms at the onsens then you are more than likely not going to be allowed in... this is from personal experience in both southern and northern Japan.

Relationships can be easily broken because of the stereotype that tattos give Japanese people (think yakuza) I am in no way saying everyone with a tattoo in Japan is a gang member, I am more educated than that, however you are going to have to deal the the stigma that in inbred in Japanese culture, like it or not. This said, some people will find them a sign of the "bad boy" in you and be attracted to it others will not want to be associated with you for the same reason as it might taint their families honor.

All in all you can make having tattoos work in Japan but I personally would not get any sleeves or other easily seen art work, again this is up to you.

Good luck and hope to see you in Japan!

Back
Top Bottom