What's new

New Xp Critical Updates Out Now !!

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
For those of you who don't let your XP update automatically; a bunch of new security band-aids are out.

Frank

😲

I've read on a few P2P related forums that these updates have messed up their sharing ability. Can anyone elaborate on this?

yuh thas the reason i dont auto update. i know a couple people whove had to reformat after their computer auto updated itself...

Im included in that category jeisan.. I had auto update it updated my gfx drivers, and i had no screen!

I ONLY ALLOW THE CRITICAL "SECURITY" UPDATES.

I hear they are coming out this summer with a giant patch.Between bug repair & security patches we will soon be buying Windows on DVD "SETS" instead of CD's!! For
us lazies, it's easier to deal with then use & learn the alternatives!!

Frank

:mad:

So far, my XP doesn't mess up from Windows Updates, but for my ol' 98, it seems to mess up more with each update...

The XP updates seem okay so far. They are useful if you are either a heavy user of laptops or if u are a security-minded person. For laptops, the updates are really useful to fix suspend / resume / hibernation wakeup problems; whereas the security patches are pretty useful if you have sensitive information on your system.

Yeah, i've heard of the XP2b that's going to be due out soon too, but it's better than downloading a bunch of updates as it is going to be rolled up into a nice package like XP1a.

I'm lazy too and don'y really do much updates unless i really need it since it takes forever to download update patches off the microsoft website.....

Shadow said:
The XP updates seem okay so far. They are useful if you are either a heavy user of laptops or if u are a security-minded person. For laptops, the updates are really useful to fix suspend / resume / hibernation wakeup problems; whereas the security patches are pretty useful if you have sensitive information on your system.
Does it really fix those suspend, etc problem? Man, I've been often having those problem on my laptop. It works the first time I go into hibernation or suspend, but when I come back and go again, it would freeze...

Keiichi said:
Does it really fix those suspend, etc problem? Man, I've been often having those problem on my laptop. It works the first time I go into hibernation or suspend, but when I come back and go again, it would freeze...

Yeah, it does help fix those suspend and resume problems... to an extent. This is because Windows (and its' update patches) are only pure software; thus, they can only fix a very limited amount of hardware related problems.

Keiichi, if you are having lots of problems with your laptop during hibernation / suspend; one of the better ways is to search for a bios update for your laptop. (you can do this by downloading a newer bios release from the website of your laptop brand; however, be very careful in choosing the correct bios before u reflash your cmos). Hope this helps!

Thanks. I've tried putting it on stand by today and after coming out of it, my screen became all messed up. I think it's happened the second time since I go the laptop for three years already. I keep the bios thing in mind. :)

I patched up my old 98 and did some virus checking, adwares, and stuff. I got rid of 15MB of ad/spywares! Not only that, the computer still starts up after the patches. Though it did freeze from the first time starting up after the patches.

From what I have been told, XP SP2 has an upgraded firewall, so that might be an hassle on P2P. If that's true then it is only a matter of configuration the firewall properly.

Personally, I'm still with win2000 and I'll probably only jump to XP only when the next generation OS appears. It saves me a lot of grief, this way.

As for patches, update only when they are critical and backup your information before starting it up. If the patch isn't critical think twice if you are really sure about installing something that might screw up your system.

Just updated to XP, for my old Win98 was completely messed up beyond repair (after installing an ACDsee trial, before that it worked without major problems for 2 years).

Since I don't trust XP very much (completely justified as it seems, 1st worm hit me on the 1st day after installation), I installed the Zone Alarm firewall. Now someone scans my port 139 the whole time, probably some type of bot. The whole day this is going on. I thought, after all ports scanned without finding a hole, it would stop, but it started all over again.

I'm on a university LAN, but not sharing anything.

Can I do anything to stop it (ZA shows the originating IP), or should I just ignore it since they obviously can't get through?
Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm not sure how to stop it, but there's a chance that it could be the university that is scanning your port(s).

Nah, it doesn't seem to be the university itself. It's a different IP. But I will go to the office to ask them about it.
Thanks, anyway.

July 2004

JUST CAME OUT WITH NEW CRITICAL UP-DATE ON XP SECURITY!! IT SAYS TO PREVENT TAKE-OVER OF YOUR PC BY AN OUTSIDER. 2nd July 2004.

Frank

:)

Yeah, if anyone still uses Internet Explorer, I suggest highly installing it. It's like 100kb, for those on dial-up.
Off-topic: I remember when I was on dial-up and had to download megs and megs of these critical ups. Took hella long... *hugs his dsl*

Back
Top Bottom