What's new

New to the forum & Nihongo

Noelia

後輩
14 Jun 2006
Hi!

My name is Noelia, I'm 24 and I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm new to this forum, and I've been reading a little in the past couple of days.

I love languages, if it were up to me, I'd learn them all! lol.

I started studying japanese last week, on my own. I was wondering if any of you know good online free courses for me to check out. I know you don't give "classes" per se around here, I read that in one of the posts, so I won't ask you to teach me from scratch. I just could use a little help getting started! ;)

I know some of you would recommend me go to a Japanese school or tutor, but I honestly don't have the time for that, and I really want to learn the language, so I'm taking matters on my own hands. I learnt English that way, by myself, so I guess I can try and do the same thing with Japanese... right? :)

I'm not having any troubles with pronunciation, since Japanese shares the same vocals that Spanish (that's my mother tongue), and almost the same consonants, and the ones that aren't in Spanish, are in English... except for the "r", of course, but I'll manage...

So... I think that's it for now. I'll take your advices, and if you have any URL where I can find classes or courses, in spanish and/or english, that'd be great!. I already checked out Learn Japanese online with our free Japanese lessons and AULEX - Diccionarios para autodidactas AULEX

Well... thanks for "listening" (or I should say reading? ;) )

Great forum. Keep it up!

Noelia.

I like "Teach Yourself Japanese," but I'm sure others have sites they prefer (check my sig for the link). Other than that welcome aboard! I hope your learning experience is a pleasureable one, as well as your experience on the forum.

Hello Noelia. iBienvenida a nuesto foro!

Let me recommend Maktos Japanese is Possible lessons to you: Welcome to Maktos Japanese lessons There are some people here who say they're not any good. It's true that they are in a state of disrepair and are incomplete but many people have said that they helped them a lot. You should at least check out the first three lessons. All of the lessons are free. No ads or popups.

Still, probably the best thing to do is get a textbook and work from that. I think that Ultimate Japanese (beginner-intermediate) from Random House is really good even though it's mostly in romaji. I think the explanations are really good and the lessons are structured well. Other people can probably recommend some other lesson books.

Your English is extremely good. How long have you been learning English? I thought you might like to know that the English word for "vocal" is "vowel." In Japanese, it's "boin."

Happy learning.

Ha! I thought she (?) was talking about sounds! Well, I learned a new Spanish word today. 👍

Yeah... vowels... I know... :(

Sometimes I go back and forth between one language and the other... sorry...

I was nearly falling asleep when I wrote the post... I'm sorry if you had trouble understanding it....

Thanks for all the links, I'll be cheking them out and see how it goes.

About the textbooks... it's not that easy to get those kind of textbooks here in Buenos Aires. Nevertheless, I have an acquaintance (I call him that because he's not a friend... I don't like calling just anyone a friend) that has studied some Japanese and he said he would lend me a couple of textbooks... and the boyfriend of one of my volleyball team partners also has some notes and books and he said he'd lend me those as well. So once I get hold of those I suppose it will be a little easier the task of learning Japanese... ;)

I hope to keep coming to the forum, as long as I have the time. I'm working right now, but I took a little break to take a peek. LOL
😊

Well... thanks again for your help. If you think of anything else, great! ;)

:p

Noelia.

Hi, Noelia, I'm from Argentina also, being around this forum for a while. There are several [beginner/not-so-beginner] courses online, and I've also been taking classes in a once per week course on saturdays (here in Buenos Aires) for a couple of months now. If you want any details contact me via this topic or via PM. Whatever works for you.

By the way, good English. I'm surprised you learnt on your own.

Hi there, also new to this forum. Please check out this link:

AP/JP1000 6.0 Lecture Notes

You can watch all lectures of the Japanese program of the University of York
(select the links below "Lecture Video Mediasite Live"). Contains a lot of other stuff as well.

Fehrant said:
Hi, Noelia, I'm from Argentina also, being around this forum for a while. There are several [beginner/not-so-beginner] courses online, and I've also been taking classes in a once per week course on saturdays (here in Buenos Aires) for a couple of months now. If you want any details contact me via this topic or via PM. Whatever works for you.

By the way, good English. I'm surprised you learnt on your own.

Hi!! Where in Buenos Aires are you?

Where are this once per week classes? are they any good? is it worth it? Remember I'm a beginner, I just started. If they don't have beginners class, it won't do me any good. If they do, that may work for me, since saturday morning & noon is the only free time I actually have in the whole week & weekends. I'd appreciate more info on that. Thank you very much for your help!

🙂

Noelia.

Luckily for you, before actually starting classes on this place I'm attending, I did a thorough research on all the possible places I could study Japanese in Buenos Aires, taking into account working and studying at the same time (which is currently my case, as I imagine it is yours). I'll send you all the information via PM as soon as I post this, since I don't want to start spamming up the topic with Spanish street names, or other personal information.

Back
Top Bottom