What's new

new to Anime and Manga! Advice!

8 Aug 2007
Hi I have been studying Japanese for this past year and am making my first trip to japan next wednesday ( I have never been so excited in my life!!!) but I have never gotten into anime and manga like most of my fellow classmates. The past few weeks I have looked at DVDs at best buy and a local used bookstore for DVDs and books but they have so many! I do not really know where to start does anyone have any ideas maybe some books or shows that you would def recommend for a newbie? Let me know what you all like and what they are about! I am really into cars also does anyone know good car anime?

First off, I want to say that you should always watch a few episodes or read the first few chapters of any anime or manga you want to buy, because, and I won't lie to you here, it can be very expensive, and you don't want to end up spending $30-$140 on something that sits on the shelf and never gets watched, especially on a student salary. Anywho...

If you're into cars, then Initial D is definitely one manga you should check out. It centers on the world of illegal Japanese street racing, and although I've never read it myself, I have talked with quite a few who have - and most of them really enjoyed it. Here's a link to the wikipedia article in case you want to look into it: Initial D - Wikipedia

Here are a few of my favorites from a variety of genres:

Bleach (Action/Sci-fi) - An anime/manga that starts off about a boy named Ichigo Kurosaki who can see ghosts, and his various adventures with a shinigami (soul reaper/death god) named Rukia Kuchiki. As the story progreses, the characters get more involved in the world of these shinigami.

Eureka Seven (Sci-fi/Romance/Mecha) - Since you're new I'll explain that last one, mecha are basically giant (usually humanoid) robots that are piloted from the inside. If you've ever heard of Gundam, then think of something along those lines. Now, the story, set very far in the future, centers around a boy named Renton and a mysterious girl named Eureka, whom he meets after her mecha breaks down and she comes to his grandfather's shop. After the initial meeting, Renton joins up with the outlaw group Gekkostate and learns more about the imminent peril facing the world he lives in.

Comic Party (Comedy) - This manga follows the story of Kazuki Sendoh, an art student who failed to get into an art college, and then (against his friend Mizuki's wishes) attempts drawing manga, all the while spurred on by his eccentric otaku friend Taishi. The plot follows the ups and downs of Kazuki's journey to the top as he fights to make a name for himself while holding on to the enjoyment he gets out of drawing.

Love Hina (Romance/Comedy) - "The story is a comedy of the shōnen genre about a clumsy young man (Keitaro Urashima) with an unparalleled amount of personal drive despite having horrible luck. After failing to get into Tokyo U (the college of his dreams), he visits his grandmother's onsen only to discover it has been turned into a girls' dorm. After his grandmother gives him the deed to the building, he has the tough job of being landlord, studying to get into Tokyo U, and dealing with the girls living there, who never pass up an opportunity to humiliate him." - Wikipedia (It's been a while since I watched this, but I highly recommend it if you're into romantic comedies)

Trinity Blood (Fantasy/Sci-fi/Action) - Set 900 years after an apocalyptic war between humans and vampires, in the wake of which arose two major powers, the Vatican (on the side of the humans) and the Empire (on the side of the vampires). The story follows Father Abel Nightroad, a vampire who feeds off of other vampires, who fights on the side of the Vatican in this on-going cold war. All while each side strives to find a way to coexist-rather than risking their own destruction.

Really, though, I'd be able to help you out more if I knew more what you liked. Whether or not you like any of these is up to your own tastes, but I really enjoyed all of them. I hope I helped you out a little. 😌

First off, I want to say that you should always watch a few episodes or read the first few chapters of any anime or manga you want to buy, because, and I won't lie to you here, it can be very expensive, and you don't want to end up spending $30-$140 on something that sits on the shelf and never gets watched, especially on a student salary. Anywho...
If you're into cars, then Initial D is definitely one manga you should check out. It centers on the world of illegal Japanese street racing, and although I've never read it myself, I have talked with quite a few who have - and most of them really enjoyed it. Here's a link to the wikipedia article in case you want to look into it: Initial D - Wikipedia
Here are a few of my favorites from a variety of genres:
Bleach (Action/Sci-fi) - An anime/manga that starts off about a boy named Ichigo Kurosaki who can see ghosts, and his various adventures with a shinigami (soul reaper/death god) named Rukia Kuchiki. As the story progreses, the characters get more involved in the world of these shinigami.
Eureka Seven (Sci-fi/Romance/Mecha) - Since you're new I'll explain that last one, mecha are basically giant (usually humanoid) robots that are piloted from the inside. If you've ever heard of Gundam, then think of something along those lines. Now, the story, set very far in the future, centers around a boy named Renton and a mysterious girl named Eureka, whom he meets after her mecha breaks down and she comes to his grandfather's shop. After the initial meeting, Renton joins up with the outlaw group Gekkostate and learns more about the imminent peril facing the world he lives in.
Comic Party (Comedy) - This manga follows the story of Kazuki Sendoh, an art student who failed to get into an art college, and then (against his friend Mizuki's wishes) attempts drawing manga, all the while spurred on by his eccentric otaku friend Taishi. The plot follows the ups and downs of Kazuki's journey to the top as he fights to make a name for himself while holding on to the enjoyment he gets out of drawing.
Love Hina (Romance/Comedy) - "The story is a comedy of the shōnen genre about a clumsy young man (Keitaro Urashima) with an unparalleled amount of personal drive despite having horrible luck. After failing to get into Tokyo U (the college of his dreams), he visits his grandmother's onsen only to discover it has been turned into a girls' dorm. After his grandmother gives him the deed to the building, he has the tough job of being landlord, studying to get into Tokyo U, and dealing with the girls living there, who never pass up an opportunity to humiliate him." - Wikipedia (It's been a while since I watched this, but I highly recommend it if you're into romantic comedies)
Trinity Blood (Fantasy/Sci-fi/Action) - Set 900 years after an apocalyptic war between humans and vampires, in the wake of which arose two major powers, the Vatican (on the side of the humans) and the Empire (on the side of the vampires). The story follows Father Abel Nightroad, a vampire who feeds off of other vampires, who fights on the side of the Vatican in this on-going cold war. All while each side strives to find a way to coexist-rather than risking their own destruction.
Really, though, I'd be able to help you out more if I knew more what you liked. Whether or not you like any of these is up to your own tastes, but I really enjoyed all of them. I hope I helped you out a little. 😌

tv shows, Id say go with one of the ones above. But manga, read the 28 volumes of rurouni kenshin. It is the best manga I have read!!! The tv show and OVA's are good too.

Aieee, car anime? The only one I know is Initial D, and even that one I've never really watched (I only heard about it)... XD

Back
Top Bottom