What's new

Question New "Japanese the Written Language Book" - Has anyone seen it??

Apocatiel

Registered
4 Jul 2019
I just discovered that a new Japanese the Written Language book (Part 1 Volume 2) was published in 2018 - it, covers Hiragana and 100 Kanji. Along with the Part 1 Volume 1, which covers the Katakana, it supercedes the "Field Test Edition" Volume 1..

I have searched and searched, and I cannot find any information about it - aside from the brief blurb on the Yale Press site. No reviews, no announcements, no previews/sample pages - nothing.

So I'm asking - has anyone here seen it? How does it compare to the Field Test Edition? And how does it compare to "Reading Japanese"?

Judging from the page count, about 280 pages in the Textbook, and another 200 pages in the Workbook, it appears that it has a lot more information than the Field Test Edition, which has 256 pages and includes Katakana..

If anyone has any information about this at all, please post it - I can't be the only person who is a bit excited about its existence!

I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post, but "Japanese the Written Language, Part 1 Volume 2" is by Eleanor Harz-Jorden, Mari Noda, Masayuki Itomitsu , and Ginger Marcus, published by Yale University Press.

I just discovered that a new Japanese the Written Language book (Part 1 Volume 2) was published in 2018 - it, covers Hiragana and 100 Kanji. Along with the Part 1 Volume 1, which covers the Katakana, it supercedes the "Field Test Edition" Volume 1..

If anyone has any information about this at all, please post it - I can't be the only person who is a bit excited about its existence!

It looks like the publishers have tempered their ambitions, and are just calling it 'Volume 2' rather than 'Part 1, Volume 2'. That kind of makes things a little confusing when juxtaposing with the predecessor volume. Perhaps the original will be renamed during its next printing.

The lack of reviews does seem odd. It gives the appearance of a stealth dropping on the market -- totally unexpected in this publicity-driven era.

Based on the lack of reviews out there, I think it is quite possible that you ARE the only person excited about its existence.

Back
Top Bottom