What's new

New design for JREF

Maciamo

先輩
17 Jul 2002
We are working on a new design for JREF. I would appreciate if you could give me your feedback on the possible new background. (please note that you might not see the background well on a 800x60 resolution or lower)

1) Do you prefer a white background like now or the new drak grey one ?

2) How could we improve the background ? Is it too dark/light ? Does the style fit with JREF's image ?

Thanks,

Maciamo

That seems a bit over the top to me. I think it would be better without the lines and the "jref.com"s, but I like it the way it is best.

I tend to agree with Glenn. I don't think the Grey and lines fit well with the image of Jref. Maybe a softer tone and a nice pattern would do, but the lines, no.

Agreed, the grey pattern with white lines are quite distracting to the eye.

I don't think they're working on a new design for the forum, just for the main page. At least that's how I understood it.

No comments on the lines, but I think if you were to make it have the horizontal scroll bar for 800x600 resolution, you might as well take up the rest of the space to fully full for 1024x768, else you're just wasting space and have it not look good for smaller resolutions.

Keiichi

😊

I prefer the current look. That other one looks like an empty music sheet on pea soup paper. If a change is necessary, maybe a different color scheme.

dont like the lines!!! the color is a bit mmm should be a bit more color in it... there should be a background color like that yeah.. white is a bit simple.. so yeah background is okay..but without the lines, and a bit more colorfull

Sorry I dont like the lines much either... they are a bit too sharp, but good job on everything else! 👍

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try without the lines then.

What about this background for the culture category ? We were thinking of having different background for each category (matching the colour of the category).

Maciamo said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try without the lines then.

What about this background for the culture category ? We were thinking of having different background for each category (matching the colour of the category).
The blue looks kinda annoying to the eye maybe 😌

Besides the blue being annoying, the script does not add anything. If I were to design a background, it would be a faded photographic image. Having script in a background would make a page too busy.

On color schemes, what colors would immediately come to one's mind when thinking of Japan? I would go with a color scheme that would remind people of Japan.

this is to bright!!!!

it is realy anoying to find a good bg color for your site, i know that myself ( even i just made 3 websites... ) what about Light blue, with lines in it like this Responsive Design Software, HTML Editor & CSS Grid Tools

Goodluck with it!!!! 🙂

ps for prof advice you can also look on www.sitepoint.com there are some i-net guru's who can help with finding the right colour maybe.... but yeah we Jref members are more important isnt 🙂 🙂

The blue is way way too bright. And the words don't need to be repeated, keep it simple and clean. If you want to have a label, then just put it one corner, and keep it out of the way. The faded photographic image is a good idea as long as it's not too busy. You don't want your background to be the object of your viewer's attention - it's just a background. When your view sees the webpage you want their eye to first catch the text/content of the page, then they want to be able to look at the background if they want, don't "force" them to.

yo maciamo what about a contest? design contest... ? just for the background... ( maybe you have a page available for us in html inc java and css if posible???, so we can mess with the background.. and the best wins? Just an idea.....

ArmandV said:
Besides the blue being annoying, the script does not add anything. If I were to design a background, it would be a faded photographic image. Having script in a background would make a page too busy.

Yes, I don't want the page to be to big, so the bg image has to be small. That doesn't leave much space for creativity. I thought of some kind of white and light grey grid (?)

On color schemes, what colors would immediately come to one's mind when thinking of Japan? I would go with a color scheme that would remind people of Japan.

Pink, but I don't think it's a good idea. It just doesn't look serious. Grey or white would do better. Thomas and I thought of having different backgrounds for each site section, but that may prove difficult.

dutch baka said:
yo maciamo what about a contest? design contest... ? just for the background... ( maybe you have a page available for us in html inc java and css if posible???, so we can mess with the background.. and the best wins? Just an idea.....

What about you post the background image you create here on the forum and I display it on a test page ?

lonesoullost3 said:
The blue is way way too bright. And the words don't need to be repeated, keep it simple and clean. If you want to have a label, then just put it one corner, and keep it out of the way.

It's not that easy. Background images are repeated to take all the space available on the page, whatever the screen resolution. So I can't have words written just in one corner, except if I create a bg image at least 1280x1024, but probably taller as most pages can be scrolled down a few times down the screen. That would be too heavy to load, so I won't even consider it.

Another problem is that the same colour looks different on different screen. I am using a flat screen, but it's true that on a regular monitor colours do look much brighter.

Please check the blue background again. I have used more pastel colours now.

Maciamo said:
Yes, I don't want the page to be to big, so the bg image has to be small. That doesn't leave much space for creativity. I thought of some kind of white and light grey grid (?)

Pink, but I don't think it's a good idea. It just doesn't look serious. Grey or white would do better. Thomas and I thought of having different backgrounds for each site section, but that may prove difficult.

Pink?! You're kidding, right?

On the new revision you just came up with, I really don't see the need for the script. The color doesn't excite me either. Frankly, the site looks fine just the way it is.

ArmandV said:
Pink?! You're kidding, right?

Well, that's the most popular colour in Japan, and the one the most associated with the country (from cherry blossoms to kitty-chan to girls' handbags).

On the new revision you just came up with, I really don't see the need for the script. The color doesn't excite me either. Frankly, the site looks fine just the way it is.

Yes, after all, maybe white is better.

Personally I like the present page in the link I clicked above with the soft lavender color background. Soft on the eyes and is a nice contrast.

I think the light blue color is a nice one too. I wonder if making the background 'fixed' would look good also.

Keiichi

😊

Back
Top Bottom