What's new

New copyright laws in november, youtube illegal?

No Youtube in Japan anymore?
I really hope something will happen in the next few months to make them change their mind one more time!! :(

窶「ツカ窶ーツサ窶卍。[Bunkachō] (The Agency for Cultural Affairs) says "Just to watch You Tube can be considered not copyright infringement."

窶禿「10 ツ「YouTube ツ」窶堙遺?堙??堙娯?慊ョ窶ーテヲ窶愬?ツ稿ニ探ニ辰ニ暖窶堙娯?ー{窶披?披?堙俄?堙や?堋「窶堙??堙?ツ,窶堋サ窶堙個催帚?堙家鱈ニ槌槌鍛ニ歎ニ停?ヲ窶堋ェツ催ャツ青ャ窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥ窶堋ス窶堙淞,ヒ?。窶邸窶堙俄?堙遺?堙ゥ窶堙娯?堙??堋キ窶堋ゥツ。 (窶邸窶佚ヲ30ツ湘ー1ツ坂ぎ3ツ坂??)
窶愬。
ツ 窶慊ョ窶ーテヲ窶愬?ツ稿ニ探ニ辰ニ暖窶懌┐窶堋ゥ窶堙ァ窶慊ョ窶ーテヲ窶堙ーナス窶ケ窶卍ョ窶堋キ窶堙ゥツ催帚?堙可,ナス窶ケ窶卍ョ窶堋キ窶堙ゥニ断ツーニ耽窶堋ェニ坦ニ停?愴痴ニ停?ヲツーニ耽窶愿?窶「窶昶?堙架?ェナスナセ窶廬窶堙俄?「テ帚?伉カ窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堋ェ窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堙懌?堋キ窶堋ェツ,窶堋ア窶堙娯?堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙按湘ョ窶「テア窶堙娯?凭ツ静渉(ニ鱈ニ槌槌鍛ニ歎ニ停?ヲツ)窶堙嫁?テ問?堋オ窶堙??堙債,ツ債。窶ーテア窶堙娯?ーテシツ青ウ窶堙可青キ窶堙ィツ最セ窶堙懌?堙ェ窶堙??堋「窶堙ゥ窶彭ナスqナ致ナスZ窶ケ@窶堙俄?堋ィ窶堋ッ窶堙ゥ窶厖慊催ャ窶「ツィ窶藩懌?廃窶堙俄?敖コ窶堋、窶「ツ。ツ青サ窶堙嫁?テ問?堋キ窶堙ゥ窶厖慊催ャナ陳?窶堙娯?氾。ナ?O窶ケK窶凖ィツ(窶佚ヲ47ツ湘ー窶堙? ツ)窶堋ェ窶廳窶廃窶堋ウ窶堙ェツ,ナ陳?窶藩慊侵ナ?Q窶堙俄?堙遺?堙ァ窶堙遺?堋「窶堙?考窶堋ヲ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堙懌?堋キツ。ヒ?。窶邸窶愬?ツ稿窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堋ス窶慊ョ窶ーテヲ窶堙ーナス窶ケ窶卍ョ窶堋キ窶堙ゥツ催帚?堙家坦ニ停?愴痴ニ停?ヲツーニ耽窶愿?窶「窶昶?堙可催ャツ青ャ窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥニ鱈ニ槌槌鍛ニ歎ニ停?ヲ窶堙俄?堙や?堋「窶堙??堙?窶慊ッ窶罵窶堙??堋キツ。
ツ 窶堋ス窶堋セ窶堋オツ,窶堋ア窶堋、窶堋「窶堙≫?堋スニ鱈ニ槌槌鍛ニ歎ニ停?ヲ窶堙ーニ鱈ニ槌槌鍛ニ歎ニ停?ヲニ稚ニ辿ニ停?ケニ胆ツ(窶ケL窶ーツッ窶倪?「窶冰ツ湘」窶堙?鱈ニ槌槌鍛ニ歎ニ停?ヲ窶堋ェツ催ャツ青ャツ・ナ?i窶拏窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥ窶氾戸?ヲツ)窶堋ゥ窶堙ァナステヲ窶堙ィツ出窶堋オ窶堙??「テ岩?堙姑箪ニ稚ニ暖ニ脱ニ巽ニ但窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙ィナス窶ケ窶卍ョ窶堋オ窶堋ス窶堙ィツ,窶「テ岩?堙娯?ケLヒ弯窶掵窶佚娯?堙俄?「テ帚?伉カ窶堋オ窶堋ス窶堙ィ窶堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙按湘ェツ坂?。窶堙俄?堙や?堋「窶堙??堙債,窶堋ア窶堙娯?氾。ナ?O窶ケK窶凖ィ窶堙坂?廳窶廃窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堋クツ,窶厖慊催ャナ陳?窶堋ェ窶ケy窶堙披?堙?窶堙娯?堙?考窶堋ヲ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堙懌?堋キツ。ツ(窶佚ヲ49ツ湘ーツ)

窶「ツカ窶ーツサ窶卍。 | 窶厖慊催ャナ陳? | 窶厖慊催ャナ陳?ツ青ァ窶忸窶堙嫁?テ問?堋キ窶堙ゥツ湘ョ窶「テア | 窶厖慊催ャナ陳?ツ青ァ窶忸窶堙娯?ーテーツ静?ナス窶倪?板ソ | ツ催??ケテ溪?堙娯?邸窶ーテシツ青ウ窶堙俄?堙や?堋「窶堙 | 窶「ツスツ青ャ21窶扼窶凖環湘ュツ坂?倪?ーテッツ 窶厖慊催ャナ陳?窶邸窶ーテシツ青ウ窶懌┐窶堙俄?堙や?堋「窶堙Ъ/url]

That speculations about cache sounds similar to EU laws about shape of a carrot which acceptable for eating.
There are many gray areas with all consequences.

Oh dear.
This is very bad.
If you are part of the Japanese Government shame on you.
If you are a Japanese Citizen or resident in Japan and you have not complained to your Memeber of parliment.
Then double, ney, triple shame on you.

The people get the government and laws they deserve.

One thing I noticed about Japan was that most people don't talk about Politics.
By most people that in my experience has been pretty much anyone that isn't a Nazi.

And I guess this is the result.
A populace that seems to turn a blind eye to rampant government corruption, on a scale normally seen only in central African dictatorships,
Who don't tend to discuss politics openly because it might go against the grain,
Now are left with a dangerous law that seems to have been taken directly from North Korea.

And this law is VERY dangerous. the wording is so very vague it's ridiculous.

A sad day for the people of Japan

How many Nazis did you meet in Japan?

How many conversations were you a "fly on the wall" observer of that you know nobody discusses politics here?

Do you speak Japanese and know nobody discussed politics? Or did nobody discuss politics in English around you?

What is the context and basis of your remarks is what I'm trying to get at here.

Ok well firstly the term NAZI was perhaps a little strong.
Perhaps ultra nationalist is more in keeping with the sentiment.

And FYI i did meet some. it was quite funny actually.
being white racism just does not compute in my mind
(not to get all white power or anything, but if one is segregating the world by race, as some chose to do,
the white race comes out as the richest, most influencial and also with the most military power all of which is on the back of a long history of running or literally owning the world. in the words of comedian Luis CK. "I am a white male. there is literally nothing you can say to me")
link to luis - Louis CK - Being White - YouTube

Also I didn't say "nobody" talks about politics.
I said most people don't talk about politics.
And i'm pretty sure i'm not wrong.

You live in Japan, would you say that most people there are uncomfortable discussing politics in the workplace,
say with their boss, who you know has an opposite political point of view?

but that is all a little off topic,
The point is these Laws are dangerous.
They are draconian.
They were voted in with 0 opposition.
Which means that either 100% of the population must agree with them or the will of the government is very far removed from that of the people.

Like I said,
It's a sad day for the people of Japan.

regardless of context or situation, when some big ******* steps on little people i don't like it.
I think it says something that no one will defend this law.
If enough people let themselves be counted, the law could go away.
So like I said.
If you are in Japan, and have access to a member of parliment.
If you do not at least contact this person to let them know this is not on.
Then you do your country and it's people a disservice.

Your rights and freedom will never be taken away in one go.
Are you a tourist?
Do you not care about the country of Japan?
Do you think that greedy corporate entities should have even more control of your lives, and that of your children?
DO you think the Government should put profit before people?

If you answered yes, the solution is simple.
DO NOTHING!

So you ask, what is the context.
The context is that these new laws are creepy and downright scary.

citizen: "what is the issue officer, I have done nothing wrong, you can't arrest me"
Officer "well we found some MP3's oon your computer"
Citizen "What!!?! that?!!? I own those albums, look they are on my shelf, it's just more convenient to have them on my computer so i don't need to look for the CD everytime!"
Officer "ahhhh so you admit it...that's all we need to hear"

That's the best thing about vague laws, they really are so useful.

If you are suggesting that non-citizens engage in political activity then you are suggesting something which is illegal.

What?!
You cannot be serious?
Engaging in political "activity" is illegal for non citizens?

lol that's not even the case in China!

=edit=
oh no wait, I call BS
According to Japanese election law, there are only three things that a non-citizen cannot do:

1)vote;
2) run in an election as a candidate;
3) donate political funds.

Other than these three points, a non-Japanese has exactly the same rights as a Japanese citizen when it comes to political and election activities.

Last edited:
More to the point, if you can't vote or donate to them, why would they care? You must have the other sort of politicians where you come from. (Can't even get a non-form answer out of the guy I actually voted for!). Ever heard of the Digital Economy Act? You might want to worry about that first. This is going on now, in the place where you (SevenStars) live. If you're on any of the ISPs they mention, expect to be monitored, and charged for the privilege of appealing if you're falsely accused:
Ofcom presses ahead with Digital Economy Act piracy crackdown - Telegraph
BBC News - Internet piracy appeal fee challenged by Consumer Focus
(and that's ignoring some of the ridiculous stuff that's already gone on under the Copyright, Design and Patents Act)

More specific information, including some on the anti side:
ITpro
article with opinions from lawyers

This is what I would consider a sensible argument against the new law (I am not a lawyer. This guy, on the other hand, is a lawyer):
「刑罰の対象とする必要があるのか疑問です。民間と民間との間の問題は、本来であれば民事事件として当事者間で解決をしてもらえばよいのであり、国が刑罰を持ち出して介入する必要はありません。実際には犯罪となり得るすべての違法ダウンロードを取締まることは現実的ではありませんから、結局は捜査機関による恣意的な取締りを許すことも予想されます。」 (加藤英典弁護士)

(extended version of the opinions from lawyers, for and against this law, here: 「違法ダウンロード」の刑事罰化について、賛成か反対か。|弁護士ドットコムトピックス )

Many of these sort of laws are badly written and endorsed by politicians with insufficient knowledge of the technology they're trying to control, and pushed by industry folk who like to make up large numbers about how much this is costing them. Certainly misuse is possible, same with any law. But jumping straight to "YOUTUBE WILL BE ILLEGAL! NAZIS!" is ridiculous, especially as this is not a problem unique to Japan (either the copyright theft part, or the ham-handed attempts at stopping it part).

From the Wiki link:

ナ?Oツ坂?伉人窶堙個青ュナスツ。ナ?ヒ??慊ョ窶堙固スツゥ窶燃窶堙坂?堙ュ窶堋ェツ坂?倪?堙個青ュナスツ。窶廬ヒ?毒スvナ塚??凖ィ窶凪?昶?堙坂?堋サ窶堙固ステ?ナス{窶堙俄?ーe窶ケツソ窶堙ー窶ケy窶堙壺?堋キナ?ヒ??慊ョ窶懌┐窶堙ーツ焦凪?堋ォ窶「テ崢湘。窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥツ。

So as long as your political activities don't influence the political decisions or actions of Japan (or the Japanese government), you're guaranteed the right to engage in political activities. As it applies to this topic, non-Japanese citizens aren't guaranteed the right to protest the gorvernment's decision about these copyright laws.

I don't know... that still seems like in practice non-citizens don't have the right to political activity. I guess unless all you want to do is talk about China's human rights issues or how Myanmar should become democratic or something, or you just don't mind not knowing when you'll be asked to leave the country.

Side note: I was going to use the quote tags, but I really don't like the way Japanese looks in italics.

Apperently Japan will get some new nasty copyright laws.
Discuss.

I think the new copyright law is not nasty, but the new law put more emphasis on value of creating something unique/new.
Unless protection by law, people do not spend their time/money on creating music, anime, literature, etc. It is because they cannot live on creative activity.

Seeing as nearly everything we rely on for our modern way of life was created without copyright or financial gain in mind
from the internet, to the electric motor.
From the technology that put men on the moon, to every great piece of music ever created.

...i find the argument that copyright = innovation and creativity deeply flawed.

Copyright is no longer needed. Neither are the middle men who profit from it.
middle men were required when distribution and sales of creative work where physical.
In the Digital age, they are surplus to requirement.

If anything, copyright holds back true creativity and innovation.
It also causes millions to die each year.

Copyright is no longer needed. Neither are the middle men who profit from it.
middle men were required when distribution and sales of creative work where physical.
In the Digital age, they are surplus to requirement.

If you say so, that's fine. Please enjoy free-copy society in your country. I don't care your country.

If anything, copyright holds back true creativity and innovation.
It also causes millions to die each year.

I think you are telling pharmaceutical products. So you better blame pharmaceutical companies. Prohibiting free-download of music or film will not cause any death of people.

You're absolutely right; nobody ever tried to copyright the electric motor. And manufacturers sold them at cost.

How does copyright kill millions of people each year?

(Learn the difference between "copyright" and "patent").

You must be the fellow Jerry Clower had in mind when he said, "Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

This thread may have been launched by one of Hackers ? or may be related to Anonymous Group who is angry about new law - copyright protection law.

Hackers target Japanese govt. websites NHK WORLD English

I think you are telling pharmaceutical products. So you better blame pharmaceutical companies.

NOPE! It is always sounds like: "I will die if I will not download new (album/movie) before it's release! EWWW!!!" :(

Without copyright protection, how are writers, artists, musicians, and other artists supposed to support themselves?

Why shouldn't they have the right to profit from their hard work and talent?

Why should people be allowed to steal intangible property, like copyright? We don't let them steal tangible property.

Cost of admission for two adults on any given day at your local cinema: ¥3600(¥1800x2)
Cost of a drink-and-popcorn set: around ¥1150

You've already crossed well over the $50 mark and that's not even including a meal for two, possible transportation, etc. ¥10000 "movie dates" are more common than you think.

Cost of a newly printed audio CD: ¥2800-3800 on average
Cost of a new Blu-ray DVD: ¥5440-6690 on average

Considering that the current exchange rate hovers at about ¥80 per USD and has been this way for a while... is it any surprise some people look for illegal sources in the current economy? Not condoning or anything... just sayin'.... 8-p

Without copyright protection, how are writers, artists, musicians, and other artists supposed to support themselves?

Why shouldn't they have the right to profit from their hard work and talent?

Why should people be allowed to steal intangible property, like copyright? We don't let them steal tangible property.

The people who are causing a stink are not the artists.

It's the middle men.

The middle men who are no longer needed.

People are often happy to pay for content they enjoy.

People actually WANT to support the artist or creative company behind something.

However. Things are changing.

Before we had the model where an artist creates a work.

the work is then licensed to a 3rd party (e.g. SONY MUSIC) for a fixed amount of money, + small royalty kicker.
The third party then produces the physical copies, takes care of distribution, marketing etc.
Retailers also get involved, and get their cut of the money

here is a graph showing the cost breakdown. (source: billboard magazine)
cd.gif

So as you can see, the total amount of money you are giving to the artist, is actually less than 20%

So supporting the "Record Industry" is not necessarily supporting artists.
In fact if that artist were to sell his album digitally and directly, for 25% of the price.
he would make more money.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY.

the point is.
The old system is a market system where the retailers set a price, and if you want to pay that price you can, if you don't you can't have the album.

the future will be a system where the price is set by the consumer.
This will lead to more money for the artist, and more freedom in creativity.

For example.
Imagine a new film comes out.
It's the latest and greatest blockbuster.
on day 1 you can either go see it in the cinema.
or
go to mgm.com and watch the film, streamed in HD for £1
with the additional option to pay a "tip" once you have seen the film.

MGM would make more money. Because they would not have to give a cut to distributers or retailers / cinemas.
they would also have an ever growing marketing database of people who watch their films.
This would drive the cost of their marketing way down.
as expensive trailer spots on tv are replaced with an email directly to customers containing a YOUTUBE link.
Whats more this new form of direct marketing would be targeted and return a much better ROI than current systems the film industry use.

This is why it is the future. Because it is where the money is.
If you happen to be the one that is creating content of course.

the founders of the Pirate Bay also created a novel system called flatter
This is Flattr - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom