What's new

New book: Iketenai-Nippon

halloalex

後輩
15 Apr 2002
Hey there!

When I heard about it today, I was quite surprised too: A gaijin has written a book with the title:

Iketenai-Nippon
Nihonjin-No Honto-No Tokoro

(in English: "Why Japanese nerves")

It seems, the release in Japan was quite successful. That's why it is also available in German now:

Darum nerven Japaner
Der ungeschminkte Wahnsinn des japanischen Alltags

I dont think, that it is already available in English.

But if you can read either Japanese or German, I think it might be quite interesting (for further information see easyDialog – easyDialog (Voice and NLP Solutions))Because I find it quite offensive to publish a book with such a title, you too?

Alex

Oooppps, probably wrong forum - if so, could someone please move my entry into another forum?

Thx,
alex

Hi Alex,

I've heard about that book in the past, it was discussed in a few Usenet groups and on Fukuzawa, causing very mixed reactions (Japanese title: "Nihonjin-no Honto-no Tokoro").

Well, despite the fact that the author has the appearance of an East-German neo-nazi, I am thinking of ordering the book.

Hm, the cover too seems to be a bit tendencious...

Btw, does anyone know the Simpson episode where they present the "Big Book of British Smiles"? :D

Attachments

• tokoro.jpg
    tokoro.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 128
Originally posted by halloalex
Hey there!

When I heard about it today, I was quite surprised too: A gaijin has written a book with the title:

Iketenai-Nippon
Nihonjin-No Honto-No Tokoro

(in English: "Why Japanese nerves")

It seems, the release in Japan was quite successful. That's why it is also available in German now:

Darum nerven Japaner
Der ungeschminkte Wahnsinn des japanischen Alltags

I dont think, that it is already available in English.

But if you can read either Japanese or German, I think it might be quite interesting (for further information see easyDialog – easyDialog (Voice and NLP Solutions))Because I find it quite offensive to publish a book with such a title, you too?

Alex
As I understand the it, the original would probably read something like "The truth about Japan's-the Japanese awkward(maladroit)ness/ineptitude/lack of wisdom etc. Perhaps even with connotations of "dasai" or "yabo" (uncouth, senseless, stupid). At any rate, much more offensive than "nerving." Hard to believe that it was so popular there.

I also got some background on the origin of 'ikeru/iketeru' -- but it was in Japanese so didn't completely catch the details. Something to do with that well-known foppishness of Saitama people, though.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom