What's new

"Never Give Up" to kanji

Relyt

後輩
28 Feb 2013
Basically I would like the Phrase "Never Give Up" put into Kanji.

I spent 3 summers touring the US with a drum corps with several Japenese friends. Unfortunately I have lost contact with them and was to get some Kanji things in rememberence of them.

The stock kanji website states the following:

Japanese Tattoo Designs By Master Calligrapher Eri Takase

However I don't want to pay for a stencil that is incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ironically, at a lot of the schools I've been to, they would never say keshite akiramenai... They always say "ネバーギブアップ!" You could try that one.

The original is a command or admonition. The translation is a simple declarative.

That ought to tell you what sort of crap that site puts out.

What's this Westenern obsession with kanji tattoos?

The same could be asked about why anyone gets any sort of tattoo. Why get a flaming skull or roses, or even a person's name tattooed on yourself? The reasons are very individual. Yes, some people just want to show off or jump on a bandwagon with their friends. Some people just want to imprint themselves with something that A. has meaning to them and / or B. is beautiful. Kanji is / has both of these things. It may seem odd to get a tattoo in a language you don't understand, but it's really not up to us to decide what's right for someone else. The best we can do is try to help as much as we can and hope that they are happy with the result...or at least not give misleading information.

They always say "ネバーギブアップ!" You could try that one.

Really?

Basically I would like the Phrase "Never Give Up" put into Kanji.

I spent 3 summers touring the US with a drum corps with several Japanese friends. Unfortunately I have lost contact with them and was to get some Kanji things in rememberence of them.

The stock kanji website states the following:

Never Give Up in Japanese - Japanese Tattoo and Stock Kanji Art

However I don't want to pay for a stencil that is incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please make sure you've read this: WANT A KANJI TATTOO? Read before you ask | Japan Forum

You could try 決して諦めるな or 決して諦めないで which is the command form Mike was talking about (the second being MUCH more polite, being, in fact, a request form), but try to wait to see if anyone else replies; I'd hate to set you on the path of getting something that's not as correct as possible.

In case it got missed, the difference between a command form and a declarative form isn't trivial; it is the difference between telling someone else never to give up and saying that you yourself will never give up.

So if the intent is to tell someone else, then the translation is totally wrong.

If the intent is to express one's own resolve not to give up, there are certainly more appropriate/natural ways than that crap they pulled out of a dictionary.

Either way, it sucks.

Oh yes, ネバーギブアップ is what they often say. It's written "Never give up" on their banners, but that's what they say. That's why it's ironic. Some westerners think the phrase is deep when it's written in kanji, but Japanese think it's more fun to say it in English. Of course, I don't think they'd ever tattoo it on themselves, even the ones who like tattoos.

I have to say, I'm of the opinion that if you need help to read the thing inscribed on yourself, it is better not to have it... But the OP wasn't asking my opinion on that, so I'll move on.

What's this Westenern obsession with kanji tattoos?

Being you are very concerned about my history and life: I'm a police K9 handler. My dog came from Germany. I have a tattoo in reference to him as he is not only my best friend, he would give his life for me. Like I said, part of that tattoo is German.

I also spent several years traveling with a few Japanese guys drumming across the United States. At the time it was a very unique experience, and the guys, despite lack of ability to communicate very easily, became some of my best friends. Due not not using Facebook and time having passed, I have lost contact with them. They were probably some of the most respectful friends I have ever had. Because of this I would like to get my favorite slogan that I would convey to them every day, as part of my tattoo. Does that make you feel better?

Thanks to those who responded, I have read the tattoo section before in an effort to figure out if I could even ask a question on this site.

Being I do have a Type A personality, I have to leave with a smart a$$ remark; financial War, I hope my symbolic and meaningful past experiences are ok with you. 🙂:. Thank you everyone. I'll continue to do research to make sure everything is as correct as it can be do it doesn't say, " never drink milk."

Angel, you said it perfect. I spent many months not having ANY clue how to talk back and forth, yet some how we made it work. I do not want the "command" presence, more or less the polite version. But like I have reiterated, the tattoo is out of respect and remembrance to them for being such good friends. I don't need the world to read it. Would just like to have it so that in the small small small small chance I ever see them again, they will know exactly what it means and see what our friendship meant.

You're starting with an imperative in English. To not have it an imperative in Japanese changes it. Ignorance of stuff like this is why you're going to end up with something odd and part of why getting a tattoo in a language you don't have the first clue about isn't a terribly good idea to begin with.

If kanji tattoos weren't so incredibly trendy right now would it have crossed your mind to do this? The acquaintances you had are just a convenient excuse to follow the herd.

When I was a kid we had a cocker spaniel. I think in honor of him I will have "Trendy kanji tattoos are stupid" tattooed on my arm in Spanish.

German tattoos aren't trendy, police dog tattoos aren't trendy, and I also have a phrase in English relating to my police dog.

Do you wear trendy clothes? Do you use Facebook, do you do ANYTHING that could be construed as trendy. I'm truly sorry you want to be judgemental. You don't know the relationship of the group of japaneese people I shared my life with for several summers in a row for several years. Tamatsu and Satoshi even lived with me for a while.

I'm sure you are just as judgmental of people with tattoos period. I'm sorry you feel a direct ownership of kanji and I applogize for not having your permission.

I simply came here to see if there was a logical translation. I also could not be thankful who arent trying to cast the first stone.

If I can't find a good translation I simply won't get it.

And for clarification, if my K9 partner was born and trained in Mexico,who knows, maybe I would have a Spanish symbol.

I simply thought Kanji looks beautiful, and would reflect the slogan we used in English but would tell them every day. It's not like I'm getting German dog commands written in Kanji.

There's a difference between writing something "in kanji" and writing something "in Japanese". Wanting something translated/written "in kanji" is like a red flag to an internet bull. ;) It's your skin, of course, but if you are going to do this, I would highly recommend locating a native speaker with some calligraphy training and getting a design done properly rather than getting stock art available to anybody with the ability to type in "never give up kanji tattoo" into google.

There's nobody in the drum corps you toured with who would have some sort of forwarding address for them? Presumably if they came over for three summers' running they were there in some official capacity and were involved in similar things in Japan.

Being you are very concerned about my history and life

Being I do have a Type A personality, I have to leave with a smart a$$ remark; financial War, I hope my symbolic and meaningful past experiences are ok with you. 🙂:. Thank you everyone. I'll continue to do research to make sure everything is as correct as it can be do it doesn't say, " never drink milk."

I can see how my previous post could have offended you, but it was NOT about you, and I apologise if you were offended.

When I say "this Westenern", I did NOT mean you, I meant the whole Western society in general as there seem to be a lot of Westerners with Kanji tattoo or wanting to get one. If you walk into a tattoo parlour, they have a section of generic computer printed Japanese kanji as tattoo design right? In fact, I think there are more white people with Kanji tattoos than Japanese people with Kanji tattoos.

I understand that every culture has it's trend and fashion, I am obsessed with Kanji as a writing system, not as a pattern of tattoo.

There's a difference between writing something "in kanji" and writing something "in Japanese". Wanting something translated/written "in kanji" is like a red flag to an internet bull. ;) It's your skin, of course, but if you are going to do this, I would highly recommend locating a native speaker with some calligraphy training and getting a design done properly rather than getting stock art available to anybody with the ability to type in "never give up kanji tattoo" into google.

There's nobody in the drum corps you toured with who would have some sort of forwarding address for them? Presumably if they came over for three summers' running they were there in some official capacity and were involved in similar things in Japan.

No. I used to be friends with them on Facebook but they no longer have a Facebook account. I have been trying to find them for months (not tattoo related). The last I had any contact was when word of mouth traveled across the ocean informing us they were ok after the earthquake. I understand Kanji and writing in Japanese are a touch different, but I have enough "words on me" and wanted more of a design.

And you are right, I may just have to find some type of calligrapher master guy to do it lol. For the German I simply went to a High School teacher I used to teach with before I left teaching school and did the cop thing.

Thanks for most all of your help! And no I'm not completely tatted with ink, it took me 27 years to get some and they are all a story that are completely hidden under my uniform etc so when I work plain clothes, nobody can see.

It may have been lost in translation, but like stated above I took some advice and located one of the long last friends from Drum Corps. Shino sent me this picture that she drew up. Does anyone disagree. :

Hi Tyler!
How's your life?I'm glad you remember me:)

Anyway,I can translate it for you;)

We write "never give up" in Japanese...
"諦めない".

You want get tattoo?
If so,I recommend
"不撓不屈".
Because that's cooler than first one for tattoo:)

Can you see those kanji on your PC?

Does this make sense to the rest of you?

The first still misses the difference between a plain statement and a command/admonition which I (apparently) pointlessly typed up at least twice already. Go with the second one.

To answer some of your questions from earlier, though....

No, I don't wear trendy clothes. No, I'm not on Facebook. No, I don't do anything that could be considered trendy. Yes, I'm incredibly judgmental, but I grew up in the days before that came to be considered the only social sin short of racism. I'm judgmental about everything and everybody, with or without tattoos, in kanji or otherwise. People who say they are not judgmental are either liars, devoid of principles, or lacking the stones to stand behind them if they do have them.

The first still misses the difference between a plain statement and a command/admonition which I (apparently) pointlessly typed up at least twice already. Go with the second one.

To answer some of your questions from earlier, though....

No, I don't wear trendy clothes. No, I'm not on Facebook. No, I don't do anything that could be considered trendy. Yes, I'm incredibly judgmental, but I grew up in the days before that came to be considered the only social sin short of racism. I'm judgmental about everything and everybody, with or without tattoos, in kanji or otherwise. People who say they are not judgmental are either liars, devoid of principles, or lacking the stones to stand behind them if they do have them.

Well I feel terrible that you can't just have the abiliry to enjoy life and go with the flow without being extremely judgmental. If someone agreed and went with your beliefs 100% wouldn't that be trendy in and of itself?. Is Kanji trendy. Sure is. But so are the ASIC running shoes I put on daily. To me the tattoo express different things in my life.

Yes you apparently typed it up 2 times pointlessly.... Even though I did what everyone explained and found one of my old drum corps friends. Either was I'm sorry your so judgmental and can't just have a good time in a relaxing matter. I know I don't know you from Joe Schmoe , but I hope you have one hell of a good time the rest of your life. Until then, I'll continue to put murderes behind bars, works my *** off at what I do, and have one hell of a ride enjoying my life. As I'm sure this will be my last post before I get banned.... If you want to be an ***, pound salt.

Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to, Officer Touchy-Feely. How dare you arrest people? That's so judgmental!

Is the "Never give up" meant as an admonition/encouragement to others? Or is it meant as "I don't give up"? Because that us the difference I so pointlessly tried to make you aware of. The two are different. I was just trying to help you make sure you got the one you actually MEANT before you accidentally got the wrong one due to somebody else (like your friend, who mistranslated it) who doesn't pay attention to seemingly trivial crap steering you wrong. You're welcome.

I enjoy my life just fine, thanks. Having principles does not prevent one enjoying life.

Somebody needs a big tickling :D

I've been smiling all afternoon. Who are you referring to? You must have missed the bit about my enjoying life. Or perhaps it is just your demonstrated tendency to presume anger on the part of others when you don't like what they say.

More to the point: Is it your intention to follow me around the forum and actively try to antagonize me?

Gentlemen, which part of "keep the bickering private" didn't you understand? I have repeatedly asked to refrain from locking your horns in public. If you are not certain of each others intentions, then please clarify the situation through PMs, *NOT* in a thread. Otherwise I see myself compelled to introduce a new infraction: abusing the "Report" button.

Thank you!

Gentlemen, which part of "keep the bickering private" didn't you understand? I have repeatedly asked to refrain from locking your horns in public. If you are not certain of each others intentions, then please clarify the situation through PMs, *NOT* in a thread. Otherwise I see myself compelled to introduce a new infraction: abusing the "Report" button.

Thank you!

Cash, I'm not saying I disagree with your help. My statement is meant to express that I want led a kanji tattoo despite others approval. I have my reasons for one much like others have reasons for what they do. Maybe my friend did misunderstand me as we do have a language barrier. This is why I was bringing the results here.

But to get back on track and put our differences aside, "Never give up" is a slogan I carried in my pocket as a child that my dad put on a card for me. It was meant to tell me to not give up.
This slogan has continued throughout my life, into the drumming world and now is apart of my cop world. It is to tell myself that no matter how hard things are, how many sick calls I go to, how
Many dead people I have to see I should "Never Give up." So Cash, I would appreciate if you could help as you seem intelligent , rather than explain to me that I am trendy.

Like stated in earlier posts, I already have English and German Tattoos. I'm just curious as to what I need to get for
A kanji one. Thank you.

German tattoos aren't trendy, police dog tattoos aren't trendy, and I also have a phrase in English relating to my police dog.

Do you wear trendy clothes? Do you use Facebook, do you do ANYTHING that could be construed as trendy. I'm truly sorry you want to be judgemental. You don't know the relationship of the group of japaneese people I shared my life with for several summers in a row for several years. Tamatsu and Satoshi even lived with me for a while.

I'm sure you are just as judgmental of people with tattoos period. I'm sorry you feel a direct ownership of kanji and I applogize for not having your permission.

I simply came here to see if there was a logical translation. I also could not be thankful who arent trying to cast the first stone.

If I can't find a good translation I simply won't get it.

And for clarification, if my K9 partner was born and trained in Mexico,who knows, maybe I would have a Spanish symbol.

I simply thought Kanji looks beautiful, and would reflect the slogan we used in English but would tell them every day. It's not like I'm getting German dog commands written in Kanji.
Agree with you 100%. Did you ever decide on your tattoo? It's really not anyone's business why you want to get the tattoo.

Back
Top Bottom