What's new

Neighbourhood temple

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
I'm far from talented when it comes to photography, in particular compared to other members here on the forum, but I took my new wide-angle out today and visited our local temple. I love the effect of fisheye lenses (I got myself a 8-16mm zoom), and it's hard not to use them to excess. Anyhow, I thought I might share a few shots, they are all linked to the gallery.

The temple is Togaku-in in Miyamae-ku, Tendai School.

I think you did quite well. I don't own any real wide angle lenses so I don't have any sort of experience with using them or with viewing scenes to get good shots with one.

Temples are great places to get pictures, especially if you wander through the cemeteries.

Temples are great places to get pictures, especially if you wander through the cemeteries.

Thanks for your feedback! Living close to a vast cemetery, I can attest to that. Also, exploring tombstones helps me expand my limited knowledge of kanji.

SJ: the fisheye is really useful in cramped spaces, see samples below, but the novelty effect wears off fast. Also, you shouldn't use it for portraits, ask my wife. ;-)

Soba restaurant in Ashikaga

Ashikaga Bannaji Temple

Let me guess. She looked like one of those cute pictures of puppies which feature a huge nose and a tiny body. For portraits use something around 75mm or so.

You were at Bannaji? That's just the next town over from me. Did you visit the restored school near there? It is said to be the oldest school in Japan.

I guess wide angles look cute on puppies, but it doesn't really work on human faces ...

We intended to spend a weekend in Ashikaga and thought of contacting you and Ashikaga-san, but we cut it short due to heavy rains. We managed to see Bannaji, Ashikaga Gakko and the Kurita Museum though. It seems to be a really lovely area, I wouldn't mind cycling up the Watarase Valley one day.

I heard that your home town is very picturesque too, with most of the old buildings preserved and restored.

I am still writing on JREF's Ashikaga Travel Guide, the images are already in the gallery.

=> Ashikaga - Japan Gallery

Back
Top Bottom