What's new

Need your help with this translation

idomeneo

Kouhai
18 Apr 2015
At first do you think that this text has been writing by an adult or a 12 to 14 years old child ?

Thank you for your help with this translation :

だから質問に答えてんの?

あなたが悲しいのなんか知りません。わたしだって悲しいですよ。あなたの自己主張ばかりされても困ります。

父親の責任が果たせてないのは自己責任でしょ?わたしに言う必要ないでしょうが。

you ask for help with a translation in the subject, then ask something entirely different in the post. Just what is it you want?

The text is from a hurt and disappointed child of a self-centered irresponsible father. I don't think it is possible to tell if it was from an adult or a 12-14 year old child with absolute certainty.

You have a child that age you've abandoned or something? Since your profile says you're 94 years old it must your great-granddaughter.

I'm not 94 years old but 74 ! This child is my granddaughter.

She has not been abandoned by my son but his ex-wife ran away to Japan with her. Since he can't see his daughter.

you ask for help with a translation in the subject, then ask something entirely different in the post. Just what is it you want?

The text is from a hurt and disappointed child of a self-centered irresponsible father. I don't think it is possible to tell if it was from an adult or a 12-14 year old child with absolute certainty.

You have a child that age you've abandoned or something? Since your profile says you're 94 years old it must your great-granddaughter.

だから質問に答えてんの?

あなたが悲しいのなんか知りません。わたしだって悲しいですよ。あなたの自己主張ばかりされても困ります。

父親の責任が果たせてないのは自己責任でしょ?わたしに言う必要ないでしょうが。
"So, are you going to answer the question? I don't care about you being sad, I'm sad too. I don't want to put up with your selfcentric behaviour.

You having failed your responsibilities as a father is your own fault isn't it? There's no need to tell me that."

The other translation request from you that appeared in the sidebar isn't very flattering either.

寂しいってねー、あんたには彼女いるでしょうが。なに嘘ついてんだよ。

被害妄想もいい加減にしてよ。脅されたなんてどうせ嘘でしょうが。今まで嘘ばっかりいってきてたからなんかもう信用できないよ。
"You say you're lonely, but you surely have a girlfriend. What are you telling these lies for?

And stop with these delusions about having been hurt. You having been threatened is just another lie. It's been nothing but lies til now - I can't believe you anymore."

Last edited:
Do your son and granddaughter know you have access to their private communications and are publicly posting them on the internet?

This is my son who sent me this message to try to translate it.

So your son had a Japanese wife and has a child who writes to him in Japanese...presumably knowing her father doesn't understand or can't read Japanese...and he then asks his father (you) who also can't read Japanese to translate it?

Forgive me, but what it looks like from here is that you have a problem son who probably bears some or most of the responsibility for the breakup of his marriage and estrangement from his daughter and he either has lied to you regarding this or you're in denial about it. Of course, it is also possible that the child has received a biased version of things from her mother. We strangers have no way of knowing. The scenario of a son incapable of reading it himself or seeking translation assistance from some other source than a relative who also can't read Japanese is so implausible that it leads one to wonder if you haven't been snooping in their emails. I have no way of knowing the actual situation; I'm just being up front in letting you know how it looks.

At any rate, your granddaughter is bitter and resentful toward your son. Whether with good cause or not, we can't possibly tell (nor do we need to know).

Last edited:
Situation is very complex and I can't explain to you via a forum. My granddaugther has received a biased version from her mother and now she hate her father. If I'm sad for my son I'm more for my granddaughter.

It's unfortunately a frequent case during divorce with a Japanese woman.

Japan is the only member of the Group of Eight major industrialised nations that has not joined the 1980 Hague Convention, which requires children be returned to their usual country of residence if they are snatched during the collapse of an international marriage.

Hundreds of non-Japanese parents, mostly men from the United States and elsewhere, have been left without any recourse after their estranged partners took their children back to Japan.

So your son had a Japanese wife and has a child who writes to him in Japanese...presumably knowing her father doesn't understand or can't read Japanese...and he then asks his father (you) who also can't read Japanese to translate it?

Forgive me, but what it looks like from here is that you have a problem son who probably bears some or most of the responsibility for the breakup of his marriage and estrangement from his daughter and he either has lied to you regarding this or you're in denial about it. Of course, it is also possible that the child has received a biased version of things from her mother. We strangers have no way of knowing. The scenario of a son incapable of reading it himself or seeking translation assistance from some other source than a relative who also can't read Japanese is so implausible that it leads one to wonder if you haven't been snooping in their emails. I have no way of knowing the actual situation; I'm just being up front in letting you know how it looks.

At any rate, your granddaughter is bitter and resentful toward your son. Whether with good cause or not, we can't possibly tell (nor do we need to know).

Your information is out of date:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429310161.856786.jpg

If they signed they still don't apply. This is what is known as political diplomacy.

And has your son sought redress of the situation through official channels after the signing? Is he even aware of the signing? How many years has the child now been in Japan?

Is there a chance your son is a bit more of a ne'er-do-well than you as a loving parent may choose to see?

There is 7 years already and as you can see in the message her mother brainwash my granddaughter. Official channels can't help my son if my granddaughter don't want to see him anymore.

I would like to believe that these messages are not from my granddaughter but from her mother.

And has your son sought redress of the situation through official channels after the signing? Is he even aware of the signing? How many years has the child now been in Japan?

Is there a chance your son is a bit more of a ne'er-do-well than you as a loving parent may choose to see?

There is a big difference between "can't help" and "won't help". You can't fault the Japanese government for not unilaterally applying the provisions of the convention if either no one asked them to or if the child has reached an age where the child has some say in where she wants to live.

You don't say if your son has actually applied for redress since the ratification or not, and since you were unaware of the ratification over a year ago I would guess that the answer is "He hasn't applied and is similarly unaware of the ratification" and you just dodged the question.

No, I have no way of knowing that your granddaughter has been brainwashed with a biased version of the situation. It is equally plausible that your son is as big a skunk as she thinks he is. It is plausible that he has brainwashed you with a version of the situation that places him in the best light. It is impossible for us to tell and furthermore is none of our business.

The gist of the Japanese texts is that she is bitter and resentful toward her father, considering him a self-centered pathological liar. Is there something more we can help you with?

You are right, my son is as big a skunk as my granddaughter thinks he is !

There is a big difference between "can't help" and "won't help". You can't fault the Japanese government for not unilaterally applying the provisions of the convention if either no one asked them to or if the child has reached an age where the child has some say in where she wants to live.

You don't say if your son has actually applied for redress since the ratification or not, and since you were unaware of the ratification over a year ago I would guess that the answer is "He hasn't applied and is similarly unaware of the ratification" and you just dodged the question.

No, I have no way of knowing that your granddaughter has been brainwashed with a biased version of the situation. It is equally plausible that your son is as big a skunk as she thinks he is. It is plausible that he has brainwashed you with a version of the situation that places him in the best light. It is impossible for us to tell and furthermore is none of our business.

The gist of the Japanese texts is that she is bitter and resentful toward her father, considering him a self-centered pathological liar. Is there something more we can help you with?

It is sad that you two have to be deprived of contact through no fault of your own. You have my sincere sympathy. Could you not travel to Japan for a visit from time to time?

My son went to Japan 9 times. His ex-wife and her parents threatened to tell to my granddaughter that he came to kidnap her if he didn't go back to France.
The only time he could see his daughter is paying !

My son became depressed, he's completely destroyed, but it's only because he's as big a skunk as my granddaughter an you think he is. Right ?

Anyway thank you for your sympathy.

It is sad that you two have to be deprived of contact through no fault of your own. You have my sincere sympathy. Could you not travel to Japan for a visit from time to time?

I didn't say I think he's a skunk. I said that as a neutral observer with no way of knowing the facts it is one of the possibilities. He may also be a blameless saint for all I know. I have no way of knowing who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. I have no way of knowing how correct your information is, how much it may or may not be biased, or how much you may or may not have been lied to. Nor any way of knowing how honest or dishonest you are being with us or with yourself. Or whether you are being completely candid or are spinning things. As we say where I come from, I don't have a dog in this fight.

The nine times he went to Japan....did you finance the trips?

Off course my son financed his trips.

What do you think my wife couldn't see or just hear by telephone her granddaugther until her death, last year.

That's good to hear.

Is there anything else we can help you with?

Your translations help me already. Thank you.
I hope my granddaughter will be free to choose her life and be curious by her double culture when she will be an adult. But in Japan it seems difficult to be just different or choice another way.

Great but parents like my son whose children have been abducted prior to the implementation of the Hague Convention cannot apply for a return order.

The Hague pact is not retroactive, so it will only deal with cases that occur after Japan's ratification.

If I have misinterpreted this treaty please let me know in the following thread :
Hague Convention on Child Abduction doesn't work retroactively | Japan Forum

Back
Top Bottom