What's new

Need some help on this weeks lesson

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
こんでいますので
I think こんで means crowed or busy.
But can you translate this for me, please.

You are on the right track. こんで comes from こむ, usually meaning something like "crowded".

The ので means "because". A very important point to be aware of is that Japanese expressions meaning "because" come AFTER the reason, not before it like in English.

So that would be "Because it is crowded...."

You are on the right track. こんで comes from こむ, usually meaning something like "crowded".

The ので means "because". A very important point to be aware of is that Japanese expressions meaning "because" come AFTER the reason, not before it like in English.

So that would be "Because it is crowded...."

Thanks Mike.
Class starts in 3 hours. This stuff is all new territory for me. I hope the sensei spends enough time on this lesson. Seriously, they go real fast in this class. Luckily I'm motivated to study before hand of the new lesson.

This involves using the "ので" affirmative. Please check to see if I did this correctly.

yasuminode
gakuseinode
benrinode
himanode
takainode
iinode
kikitainode
taberunode
kurunode
surudode

Thanks guys.

This involves the "negative" じゃないので。 See if I did this correctly.

yasumijanainode
gakujanainode
benrijanainode
takakujanaide
ikunainode
kikitakunainode
tabenainode
kunainode
shinainode

thanks guys

yasuminode
gakuseinode
benrinode
himanode

Notice that those are all nouns, while everything else was verbs and adjectives? Didn't your materials say anything about use with nouns (or "adjectival nouns")?

Notice that those are all nouns, while everything else was verbs and adjectives? Didn't your materials say anything about use with nouns (or "adjectival nouns")?

I probably was getting ahead of myself without instruction on this lesson, but we had class and nouns and verbs and adjectives were slightly mention. I think we went over like, class 1 2 3 type ending using the above words.

Thanks Mike

In addition, "takai" is an i-adjective, and "ii" and "kuru" conjugate irregularly.

I'll check now to see if I did it correctly.
Class is moving fast and I need to be more prepared ahead of time. When they (the teachers) they are mostly using Japanese since many of the students don't speak English.

I prefer to help people with language questions by poking and nudging them into the answers rather than just handing them the answers. That usually takes the form of asking them questions about the things they asked about, hoping to lead them into noticing something and it often takes several back-and-forth exchanges. It works best when the exchange can proceed without gaps of several days.

There's a reason I asked if you noticed those were nouns. It has to do with wanting you to spot what was odd for yourself by contrasting them with the answers you had for the negative versions and by contrasting with the adjectives and verbs as well.

Class is actually moving rather slowly. If you find it fast, that's a sign you're not spending enough time reviewing and pounding the material into your noggin outside class. After over two decades in Eikaiwa you should know full well that nobody succeeds like the students who put in lots of work outside class and nobody fails like the bump-on-a-log students who apparently don't give it a single thought outside the class.

I prefer to help people with language questions by poking and nudging them into the answers rather than just handing them the answers. That usually takes the form of asking them questions about the things they asked about, hoping to lead them into noticing something and it often takes several back-and-forth exchanges. It works best when the exchange can proceed without gaps of several days.

There's a reason I asked if you noticed those were nouns. It has to do with wanting you to spot what was odd for yourself by contrasting them with the answers you had for the negative versions and by contrasting with the adjectives and verbs as well.

Class is actually moving rather slowly. If you find it fast, that's a sign you're not spending enough time reviewing and pounding the material into your noggin outside class. After over two decades in Eikaiwa you should know full well that nobody succeeds like the students who put in lots of work outside class and nobody fails like the bump-on-a-log students who apparently don't give it a single thought outside the class.

Mike, I'm doing what I can on my own, and I appreciate the way you are guiding me into thinking for myself. Now that I'm fairly well settle in (was gone all weekend and just got back this morning) I'll be able to focus with more time, also I'm into the Kenki book also, but moving slow on it. Today I'll be , well, you'll notice by my post how much effort I'm going to be putting into this. Got them bills a coming in already and trying to make out what all that kanji is. But yes, I'm applying myself as best I can and with the help of the books and you guys here, I'm DOING it.

again thanks

Back
Top Bottom