What's new

Need some advice!

a51ts4

先輩
1 May 2007
Hello everyone. I've slowly begun developing my Japanese vocabulary. I'm not far yet, just the beginning stages. I started 2 days ago, but have had a desire for a long time. I plan to start a Japanese class next quarter at my college. Although, I haven't checked how far it goes beyond that course.

Before I go further, I'd like to rule out some do's and don'ts before they become custom.

My current plan:
Doin some flash cards with around 25 words. (ex. he/she/them, room, to walk, where etc...) It seems to be working to some extent.

What is good material to start with? I'm planninig to also try and learn katakana and hiragana at the same time (based on some advice already given).

Also, does anyone know of any good programs/techniques to help learn effectively? Since I have no partner to help through the learning, I find it difficult to progress with pronunciation, spelling etc.. Any tips/techniques would be greatly appreciated.

for ex: should I try and learn the katakana & hiragana while learning the spelling & meaning, or do one first, then after I have it down go to learning the other, and then move on to other word etc...?

Arigatoo!

It sounds like you have a pretty good plan so far.

Flash cards are very helpful, but you might want to learn hiragana first and then after you master that start on katakana. Along with your flash cards post sticky notes on things around your place with their name in Japanese.

If you have a good computer pick up a langauge program like 'Japanese Now.' It's a great way to hear how words are pronounced.

Well, good luck with your Japanese friend.

I'd suggest learning Hiragana first. When i first started with my Japanese i'd learn 10 Hiragana a week. Within a few months i knew them all in and out. Then i did the same for Katakana. I wouldn't suggest learning them at the same time.

I agree with the flash cards. I have learned 25 words so far in 3 days with them. Today I am am starting to learn hiragana.

nattsie, when you put hiragana on your flash cards, did you put full words (if so what kind), or did you write them as individual letters? (I hope you get what I'm asking.)

I've downloaded a few things to help out. Some are like ebooks, and the other is just audio with a little guide. They seem to all start differently, while they are all for beginners. I also just recently installed rosetta stone, and it seems to be OK.

From what I've done so far, it gives you a sentence with audio, text(ramji,katakana,hiragana), and picture, then you pick which picture fits the phrase.

Arigatoo :)

This is site where you can download: ReadWrite Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji...
All 46 hiragana and katakana symbols with reading and a lot of words and you have all 1945 joujou kanji to learn stroke order, onyomi and kunyomi with amazing examples... Also, you have Japanese FlashCards.

If you don't have installed Microsoft IME Standard for writing Japanese on your computer, try downloading this cute, amazing and helpful program... It has a huge directory so you can translate what ever you want. AND IT'S FREE...

I started to learn Japanese just one month ago and I can make some small conversation with full writing... I know about 70 kanjis and + 100 more to recognize and I love it.

And I have 17 years.
I wish you all luck with your Japanese learning...
Tip: First learn hiragana than katakana and at the end kanji.

1 month ago.. wow. That's great! Hopefully I can progress in a similar matter :). Thanks for the links, although I already have JWPce installed :).Haven't quite figured out how to use it yet, but I'm getting there.

1 month ago.. wow. That's great! Hopefully I can progress in a similar matter :). Thanks for the links, although I already have JWPce installed :).Haven't quite figured out how to use it yet, but I'm getting there.
I hope that you made romaji input (this means that if you type 'hito' on your keyboard you'll get this ひと)... When you got this, than select it and click 'kanji convert' (F2) or
あ A J 漢
in menubar. Now you'll get this 人...

To see dictionary for some word (example: ツ静堋触), copy and paste into the window and than click right click > Directory or Ctrl+D or F6... By the way, this means 'contact'... Also, if you see some unknown kanji highlight it and on right click select 'Get info'... You'll get kunyomi, onyomi, meaning and also a lot more information (Stroke number, Chinese pronounce, grade when this kanji is learned in Japan etc.)

when you type small letters you'll get hiragana, for katakana press caps lock or hold shift...

Hope this helps :D
Wladimir
P.S. When you type 'thanks' type 'Arigatiou', not 'Arigato'... That 'u' is not readable at the end of the sentance, but you must write it... (ありがとう)

Back
Top Bottom