What's new

Need Info On Modern Japanese Name system.

Wakaranai

先輩
8 Jun 2004
Are newer Japanese putting their Sir name or last name Last instead of first?

A player named So Taguchi He playes Baseball for the St. Louis Cardneals.

Taguchi is on the back of his shirt so his name is not displayed in the traditional way of you Sir name first then your name.

Hideki Matsui I can not tell what is the Sir name or what is the last name.

So my question is Do the Japanese still do the traditonal name system or are they starting to take the Western name system?

They use the traditional system. The names are reversed on the baseball jerseys because they are in America, and they abide by the conventions of the Americans. By the way, it's sur name.

Glenn said:
By the way, it's sur name.

that's what i was thinking, but dude is scottish... so i was about to give in to the fact that maybe it's sir in scotland? they are odd after all.. them scots...
:D

TwistedMac said:
double-negation.. can you handle it? WELL CAN YOU!?!? *makes WWF wrestler pose* RWAAAAR!!!
I'll have you know I don't never misuse double negatives. :eek:

PaulTB said:
But it wasn't always not sirname everywhere, if you want to get really, really pedantic.

Definition of surname | Dictionary.com
Note: This word has been sometimes written sirname, as if it signified sire-name, or the name derived from one's father.

Yeah, but there's also this:
[Middle English, partial translation of Old French surnom : sur-, sur- + nom, name.]

I find this interesting. I guess the spelling of "sirname" or came after the word was introduced into the language. Or maybe they just imported the sound and created their own spelling. I wonder how old the "sirname" spelling is. I'm guessing that it ended when the English Language Council came together and decided on the rules of spelling and grammar for the language.

TwistedMac said:
that's what i was thinking, but dude is scottish...

I don't think he is. He used to have a Hungarian flag, and then he changed it. So maybe he's just living there now.

They still use surname first, unless they're visiting a country (e.g. the US) where this is not done usually, where they then adapt and put the surname last.

Golgo_13 said:
Suriname is a country in S. America.
Thanks for the info :D

My mom is Scottish and my dad is Hungarian I use the flags for respect of family orgin.
That is all.

You see the Hungarians is the only Euroup group that puts the last name first like the Japanese do.

it wouldn't matter if they were consistant about it, but they've started doing it the "western" way alot now.. to "make it easier for westerners" from what i've heard.. it just confuses the **** out of me!

TwistedMac said:
double-negation.. can you handle it? WELL CAN YOU!?!? *makes WWF wrestler pose* RWAAAAR!!!

Its "WWE", as we are being pandantic.

WWF is pandas 'n ****.

(the WWF stopped the WWE from using WWF, after the WWE tried to sue some small company from using WWF intials. Part of the deal from the WWF was that WWE didn't own the name and if they tried something like this then they would take back the rights, which they did. Much to the dismay of a friend of mine who was working on a wrestling game for x-box at the time, and had to change the logo in over 3 hours of video footage.)

Back
Top Bottom