What's new

Need help

Are you looking for sites with info about Japanese language for self study or something else?

yea self study is ok too but if u wanna help me in this forum is appreciated too

like basic asking question stuff.. how to ask if u know jap or not, where are u from, etc

well, I'm maybe two weeks in and have a grand collection of maybe 6 words. For example

SAIKO = great
OISHI = delicous
DES = is
DES KA = is it
CHO = very

SAIKO DES KA EVE-CHAN? (is it great Eve?)

HAI! CHO OISHI DES ZED-KUN(yes, very delicious!)

Am sure somebody can up the level from my weak first attempts...

Ok I'll check out the link and will come back and ask you guys if I have any questions thanks for your time

Yes check those sites."Can you speak Japanese" is: Nihongo o hanashimasu ka. In Kana and Kanji that is 日本語を話しますか。

Last edited:
Originally posted by Eisuke
Yes check those sites."Can you speak Japanese" is: Nihongo o hanashimasu ka. In Kana and Kanji that is 日本語を話しますか。
Actually that is "Do you speak Japanese?"
Can you speak Japanese is "Nihongo ga hanasemasuka?" or "Nihongo ga dekimasuka?"

You're right sorry I meant "Do you speak Japanese"."Can you speak Japanese" in Kana and Kanji is 日本語が話せますか。

Last edited:
Originally posted by Eisuke
You're right sorry I meant "Do you speak Japanese"."Can you speak Japanese" in Kana and Kanji is 日本語が話せますか。
No, problem, although you probably should say "in Japanese" rather than "in kana" :).

Well isn't that Kanji and Kana. I think the kana would be:
にほんご お はなします か
nihongo o hanashimasu ka

Originally posted by TZed9
well, I'm maybe two weeks in and have a grand collection of maybe 6 words. For example

SAIKO = great
OISHI = delicous
DES = is
DES KA = is it
CHO = very

SAIKO DES KA EVE-CHAN? (is it great Eve?)

HAI! CHO OISHI DES ZED-KUN(yes, very delicious!)

Am sure somebody can up the level from my weak first attempts...
Where to start? :p
Wherever you picked up initial vocabulary like "saikou" (not used in isolation and never for food :p) and "chou" (also not used alone, closer to super in the sense of "more than" something).

Tadashiku wa: Correctly:

Eve-chan, oishii desuka?
Hai, totemo (very) oishii desu.

Originally posted by SkaKid0911
Well isn't that Kanji and Kana. I think the kana would be:
にほんご お はなします か
nihongo o hanashimasu ka

The direct object particle is written as を, not お. This is why romaji is evil.

Also, there are no spaces between Japanese words, assuming you weren't putting them in to make reading easier. :)

Good luck, though! ;)

Yeah I forgot there aren't spaces, so umm, how do they tell when words end???
There are a few ways, but it doesn't take long for it to become second nature. One of the easiest way is looking at where the particles are, so be sure you learn the particles and their uses - に、へ、は、が、を、の、で should be good for starters. Also, in a lot of Japanese there is Kanji, which is a great help for word recognition and speed reading. For example..

東京の二店が好調なことから全国展開を計画中だ。
"Because the two stores in Tokyo are doing well, they are planning to expand nationwide".

I'm sure someone will explain it better than I can :p

Canyoureadthissentenceeveniftherearenospaces?

That's because you recognize the words. Looking for particles is a good way, and so is looking for verb and adjective conjugations. Also look for common kanji and kanji compounds, like SacredBlue said.

ok i couldnt find what these words mean "Suteki Da Ne" and anybody know where i can get japanese quotes with english translation?

"Suteki da ne" = "Isn't it cool?"

(or, if it's "suteeki" - "It's a steak, isn't it?) XD I'd opt for the first one.

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Where to start? :p
Wherever you picked up initial vocabulary like "saikou" (not used in isolation and never for food :p) and "chou" (also not used alone, closer to super in the sense of "more than" something).

Tadashiku wa: Correctly:

Eve-chan, oishii desuka?
Hai, totemo (very) oishii desu.

:)

Who mentioned food Liz? My total verbs so far include

saiko
saite
oishii

I can use with these

des
des ka
jani
cho

Thank you Liz, would you do some role playing with me?

🙂 🙂 🙂

Back
Top Bottom