Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rey Chirino

Registered
11 Mar 2016
Hi there
I am developing a translator app for android that include japanese among other languages but I know nothing about this language and I need help translating the labels of the app correctly to japanese from english.
I used google tranlation for my prototype but I know for experience that it is not the best solution. I uploaded a couple of screenshots in japanese and english. Can you help me please?

For testing I'll share the app for a couple of weeks and I will appreciate any feedback to improve it
Dropbox - Universal_Translator.apk
thanks

2016-03-10 16.18.52.jpg

2016-03-10 16.33.37.jpg

41 views and no reply? really?
Can anyone who speak japanese help me with this issue please?

41 views and no reply? really?
Can anyone who speak japanese help me with this issue please?

I'm dying to know what you use to do the actual translating for people who use the app. Obviously not the app itself since you had to use Google Translate to get this far. Presumably the app won't be using Google Translate to do the work, since you acknowledge it isn't adequate.

Is "clean" in "clean text" meant to be a verb or an adjective?

Hi Mike
I am using a professional API from Yandex that is very accurate for english to spanish and viceversa, same for french and portuguesse to english and spanish but I don't know how accurate it is in translating japanese, korean or chinese to these other languages.
CLEAN TEXT here means to empty the textbox where the original and translated text is
Thanks for your interest, can you help me in translating these label?

In that case we talk about "clearing" the textbox, not "cleaning" it.

Since you asked for feedback: going from the poll and the UI, it looks like the intent of the app is to communicate with others through machine translated text messages. This seems like a terrible idea bound to result in misunderstandings on both ends - especially with Asian languages, which are much more different from English than the European ones you mentioned.

Not to mention, it's already been done before - take a look at the "Ttalk" app for example.

Last edited:
I am using a professional API from Yandex that is very accurate for english to spanish and viceversa, same for french and portuguesse to english and spanish but I don't know how accurate it is in translating japanese, korean or chinese to these other languages.
I translated several Japanese articles and sites into English with Yandex Translate, and got results worse, mostly far worse than Google Translate.

CLEAN TEXT here means to empty the textbox where the original and translated text is
I don't think this is clear to English speakers. Clear, Clear Text, or Reset may be alternatives.

This seems like a terrible idea
I think it's a great idea but for different reasons. He's not going to beat Google at their game but he'll get some great experience building an app like this.

To Rey:
Please put the list of things you want checked/translated into text form here and I'll do this for you. Like:
  • Send Text - テクストを送信
  • etc.
One reason why I didn't do it in the first place is because it requires me to create the whole list of phrases that are in your images. It's not that much but still enough for me to pass.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help!
to lanthas:
thanks for the advise, I know it has been done before but I am cuban (spanish is my language) and many of my people have problem with the language in the US so I decided to create a simple program that will allow them to comunicate with english speaking people almost in real time and the first tests have been promissing, so I decided to go a little further and this what I'm doing now.
I intend to show like a warning about these inaccuracies at startup but this engine is very good translating from english to other romanic languages like spanish, portuguese and french and viceversa even in russian is not that bad but no idea with asian languages and that's why your input is so important to me. Thanks again.
to Toritoribe:
thanks for sharing your experience, I definitly have to take it into consideration.
to MdChachi:
You bet I am learning a lot! it has been a great experience but my main motive is to help my people to get integrated into the american society as faster and smoothly as possible.
Thanks a lot for your help and here is the list as you requested
  1. translate text -
  2. clear text
  3. send text
  4. share translation
  5. enter here text to translate
  6. phone number
  7. accept incoming SMS
  8. disable voice
  9. phone number is missing
  10. no text to translate, try again
  11. Error tranlasting your text, try again
thanks again to all!

With the caveat that these aren't perfect but certainly better than Google can do. Probably the other folks will jump in with improvements now.
  1. translate text - 文章を翻訳する (however 翻訳する alone is sufficient).
  2. clear text - クリア
  3. send text - 携帯メールで送る
  4. share translation - 展開
  5. enter here text to translate - ここに翻訳したい文章を入力ください
  6. phone number - 電話番号
  7. accept incoming SMS - 携帯メールを受ける
  8. disable voice - 音声なし
  9. phone number is missing - 電話番号がない
  10. no text to translate, try again - 翻訳できる文章がない。もう一度やってみてください。
  11. Error translating your text, try again - 翻訳エラー。もう一度やってみてください。

Back
Top Bottom