What's new

Need help with two sentences

26 Feb 2004
I'm still having great fun translating Nintendo's 縺ゥ縺カ縺、縺ー繧薙■繧・≧縲 almost completed the first level's translation but am stuck on these two sentences.

繝医Φ繝医さ繝槭う縺ョ荳€譌・縺ァ縺励◆縲�
繝壹Φ繝壹さ繝槭う・�

It must be grammar that I haven't done yet because the structure is similar for both but I can't find it in any dictionary and it generates gobbledy gook in online translators.

The context is that I've just finished the level and the character is giving me a summary of the situation. Often in this game, katakana is used where you might normally expect hiragana so they're not necessarily foreign derived words.

I'm sure this is easy for someone but I can't solve it, any help appreciated, thank you everyone.

Although if we're looking at the same thing, there is virtually no real grammar to understand. The tontokonmai and penpekomai are most likely character names with "ichinichi" or one day attached to tontokonmai.
繝医Φ繝医さ繝槭う縺ョ荳€譌・縺ァ縺励◆縲�
繝壹Φ繝壹さ繝槭う

The original text which bothers you may be:
"tontokomai no ichinichi deshita. penpekomai? iya tentekomai desuna. suimasen mada kotoba ga yoku wakaru masen".

If so, in that case:
tentekomai---- whirl of business / humming with activity
tontokomai/penpecomai------misspelling or misspeaking of "tentekomai"

But apparently there must be some wordplays in those misspellings. My guesses are: 1)"ton" means a pig in Japanese(and you start the game as a pig), 2)"(onaka)peko-peko" means to be extremely hungry(and you eat enemies one after another) . But I myself have never played that game, so these guesses about wordplays may be incorrect.

Elizabeth, thanks for helping again, you helped me out in another recent post and as I'm attempting to buy all my games in Japanese, I'll be back regularly with more questions I'm sure if that's OK. Kara, that was pretty astute! I AM playing as a pig and it IS a feeding game where you have to work your way up the food chain, spot on, ha ha, that's a gold star.

This is a great way to study Japanese, I have classes too but for motivation transcribing games is ideal because you have a real need to work out what's going on.

edwinbradford said:
Elizabeth, thanks for helping again, you helped me out in another recent post and as I'm attempting to buy all my games in Japanese, I'll be back regularly with more questions I'm sure if that's OK.
We'll all improve together as this goes along then. Although I should have at least put something together with the buta and stomach from last time. :mad:

I generally find that when I struggle to understand something, when it finally clicks it has a better chance of sticking. It may seem harder initially but now Pork cutlet is engraved in my mind forever.

Back
Top Bottom