What's new

Need help with three sentences

soulcage

Registered
24 Dec 2013
I'm trying to translate the sentence above but can't do it, even with online translation tool. Can anyone help me ? The scene takes place as a flashback concerning two people getting married. The man helped the woman in the past. He just got his university degree and she's thanking him. This is his reply

I'm trying to translate the sentence above but can't do it, even with online translation tool. Can anyone help me ? The scene takes place as a flashback concerning two people getting maried. The man helped the woman in the past. He just got his university degree and she's thanking him. This is his reply

雪菜のためにがんばらなくちゃと思うと、自分の実力以 上の力が湧いてくるんだ。誰かのためにがんばれるって さ・・・自己満足かもしれないけれど・・・こういうの って、うれしいことだと思わない?

her : そうね。こんな私でも・・・慎一さんの力になれるなら うれしいわ

and his final quote : 雪菜がいるだけで、僕はすごく幸せになれるんだぜ?

Not exactly where to put 以上 in the translation, here's my take

雪菜のためにがんばらなくちゃと思うと、自分の実力以 上の力が湧いてくるんだ。誰かのためにがんばれるって さ・・・自己満足かもしれないけれど・・・こういうの って、うれしいことだと思わない?

I thought I would have to try harder for Yukina's sake, and because of that I was able to muster up my true abilities. For who's sake was it, that I was trying so hard, I wonder... It might have been for my own satisfaction.. but something like this, it's something that's supposed to be thought of as happy isn't it?

そうね。こんな私でも・・・慎一さんの力になれるなら うれしいわ ( idk what that name reads)
Yeah that's right isnt it, I also am happy if i become 慎一さん's strength/power.
雪菜がいるだけで、僕はすごく幸せになれるんだぜ
Just by yukina being here, I'll become very happy.

Not exactly where to put 以上 in the translation, heres my take

雪菜のためにがんばらなくちゃと思うと、自分の実力以 上の力が湧いてくるんだ。
---------
I thought I would have to try harder for Yukina's sake, and because of that I was able to muster up my true abilities.
Notice that the first sentence is not the past tense. と is a kind of conditional, meaning "when" here. 自分の実力以上の力が湧いてくる means that he can show more power/ability than his real one by that.

my attempt:

雪菜のためにがんばらなくちゃと思うと、自分の実力以上の力が湧いてくるんだ。
When I think I have to work hard for Yukina, I can show more power than I really have.

This part seems a bit disjoined to me:

誰かのためにがんばれるって さ・・・自己満足かもしれないけれど・・・こういうの って、うれしいことだと思わない?

"Working hard for someone... I may be content, but... don't you feel happy about such a thing?"

I don't see how 自己満足かもしれないけれど fits in here. Does けれど not have a 逆接 meaning here?

He said it's happy to work hard for someone though it might be just self-satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom