What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Need help with keigo

xSerah

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a university student and I have to write an email to my Japanese teacher. I'm supposed to write " could I come to ask a question please?" but I'm not sure of a correct translation. Here is a copy paste of our email exchange:

Teacher's reply: "来週の月曜日に渡辺先生の事務室で質問してもよろしいでしょうか。
「行く/来る」を使ってください。"

My reply. "来週の月曜日に渡辺先生の事務室に伺えませんか。"

Teacher's reply: >来週の月曜日に渡辺先生の事務室に伺えませんか
ここに「質問」という言葉を追加してください。"

Would be "来週の月曜日に渡辺先生の事務室に質問しに伺えませんか。" even correct??? I don't want to mess it up again. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Why did you drop the form to ask permission you used in the initial one?

xSerah

Registered
Reaction score
Why did you drop the form to ask permission you used in the initial one?

Because my teacher wanted me to rewrite that sentence using 「行く/来る」. I misunderstood and I thought that the underlined part was wrong, so I used 伺う only

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
よろしいでしょうか was not underlined, and there's no problem to use 伺う with it, right?;)

Your initial sentence is not wrong, by the way. That question means "Could I ask a question in your office?", so your teacher would just want to point out that it didn't imply "to come", unlike the original English question.

xSerah

Registered
Reaction score
よろしいでしょうか was not underlined, and there's no problem to use 伺う with it, right?;)

Your initial sentence is not wrong, by the way. That question means "Could I ask a question in your office?", so your teacher would just want to point out that it didn't imply "to come", unlike the original English question.
Ah, okay, I see. Thank you very much for your help :)

Top Bottom