What's new

Need help with a word

7 May 2009
Hi Everyone,
I need to have the word "Necessary" translated into a Kanji. My Dad had a saying... before talking about someone ...make sure it passes the three gates ...is it "Kind" "Necessary" and "True" . I lost my Dad to cancer and I am trying to paint these three symbols on the wall for my Mom. I have kind and true...just not necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. What words do you have for kind and true?

Because of the context, and that's it's more like a proverb, it would go like this:
思いやりがあり、必要があり、なおかつ、真実であること
it has kindness (consideration), it's necessary, and (besides, in addition), it is truthful.

You could put the three words by themselves if you wish, but then they aren't connected in any considerable way. Hope that helps!

Thank you...

Hi and thank you for your response and your kindness regarding my Dad.

I have just found the kanji's for the words kind and true just using sites like tattoo sites. What I really want are just the three words. I want to make sure they are all the same (meaning all japanese and not chinese...hope that makes sense) and by using a tattoo site I am not sure they are all the same. If you could please show me what the three words would look like...I would appreciate it.

Jennifer

Tattoo sites are a dangerous way to look for Japanese words, mainly because most tattoos in "Japanese" are abysmal. Part of the main reason for this is that people who get kanji tattoos don't understand the language, so they figure a direct translation of their favorite phrase can consist of three or four kanji, and the results are ultimately illegible in Japanese. People also seem to be adverse to using kana, but insist they want Japanese. It's kind of like saying you want an English phrase but don't like consonants. Kanji are Chinese characters that were adopted into written Japanese, so there's a whole lot of overlap between the two.

Fortunately, you're talking about something that could be painted over if it gets screwed up. That said, if you you really want just three separate words not connected grammatically to each other, I'd have to say :

親切 (shinsetsu) for kindness. 思いやりがある is probably a more appropriate term for what you're asking about, but it's more of an adjectival phrase.
必要 (hitsuyō) for necessary
真実 (shinjitsu) for truth

That way you have three kanji compounds that express the concepts you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom