What's new

Need help with a few English to Japanese translations?

Anny

Kouhai
Reaction score
My friend says she wants to say "My sister is cooking this early in the morning?" and she wrote
"お姉ちゃんがこれをはやい料理する" and I'm not sure how to fix it?

She also said she wants to say "please take the cookies I made" and wrote
"私は自分が作ったクッキーを" but not sure what to put after the を
would 持っていってください or もらう work as to say taking/accepting something?

Thank you if you can help. ^^

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Are either of you actually studying Japanese or do you just look things up one word at a time in a dictionary?

姉がこれを朝早く料理する予定です

私が作ったクッキーをもらってください。

I did those with nothing but constructions, grammar points, and vocabulary that one would expect to find in an introductory Japanese textbook which could easily have been gone through in the year or so since we last heard from you.

If you have been studying Japanese, you need to alter the way you've been going about it.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Staff member
Donor
Reaction score
I know "eng" is a common abbreviation of English, but please don't use "jap." As an American (or at least someone living in America), I hope you understand how the historical use of that word has tainted it beyond redemption.

1. Japanese is highly contextual, so the situation will greatly affect how this is said. If you mean that she's planning to cook this (in this case, "this" is vague and without context) early in the morning:
お姉ちゃんが(これを)朝早く作る(つもりです)
Older sister will/(is planning to) make (this thing by me/in my hand) early tomorrow morning.

1. If you leave a plate of cookies out, all you need is どうぞ. The context says everything except who made the cookies.

Last edited:

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
"My sister is cooking this early in the morning?"
The above is meant to express surprise at the early hour that the activity is taking place? In other words, "what in the world is my sister doing at this hour of the morning?" Or, is it meant as a flat statement: My sister is cooking this, early in the morning.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I edited the title line for them.