What's new

Need help translating this sentence

Pebble

後輩
16 Feb 2015
I was trying to read this article and I can't understand what the second paragraph (sentence) is talking about because it's so long.

「MAG」は、経産省のアニメやマンガの海賊版対策に関する呼びかけに賛同した出版社やアニメ関連企業によって発足された「マンガ・アニメ海賊版対策協議会」のプロジェクトで、セミナーには、集英社の鳥嶋和彦専務、アニプレックスの夏目公一朗代表取締役のほか、ゲストとしてアニメ、マンガファンとして知られるアイドルグループ「SKE48」「乃木坂46」を兼任する松井玲奈さんが登壇した。

Is it the same meaning if rephrased as, "経産省のアニメやマンガの海賊版対策...のプロジェクトで、「MAG」はセミナーには..."? And as for "...賛同した出版社アニメ関連企業によって...", these 2 entities aren't grouped together in approving the appeal of the countermeasure, rather it's 出版社 that's the one that approves, and アニメ関連企業 that launches the project right?

What I gather from the second part is that in the seminar, other than Shueisha and Aniplex's directors, there is also 松井玲奈, who is part of both SKE48 and 乃木坂46 and she's at the seminar both as a guest and an anime/manga fan? And from what I've searched online, "登壇" means "going on a platform" which I don't understand, does it mean "going onstage"? And if my vague translations are correct, I don't understand where "「MAG」は" fits in all of this.

The core of the sentence is 「MAG」は「マンガ・アニメ海賊版対策協議会」のプロジェクトで、セミナーには鳥嶋和彦専務、夏目公一朗代表取締役のほか、松井玲奈さんが登壇した。

The first half of the sentence 経産省のアニメや…プロジェクトで is the explanation about MAG.
経産省のアニメやマンガの海賊版対策に関する呼びかけに賛同した modifies 出版社やアニメ関連企業.
出版社やアニメ関連企業によって発足された modifies 「マンガ・アニメ海賊版対策協議会」のプロジェクト.
アニメ、マンガファンとして知られる modifies 松井玲奈.

As for 登壇する, yes, it means "to go on stage" ("to participate in the seminar" in this case).

going on stage to give a speech, etc
登壇の英語・英訳 - 英和辞典・和英辞典 Weblio辞書

I just got back from overseas so I'm sorry for the late reply :cry:
I think I got it, I'm definitely clearer about the structure of the sentence now though!
Is this correct?
"MAG attended the "Anime/manga piracy counter conference" Project, which was launched by the publication company and anime-related enterprises that were supported by counter-piracy operations by the Ministry of Economy and other organisations. At the seminar, guests included managing director 鳥嶋和彦, Aniplex's representative director Natsume Koichiro, as well the popular idol Matsui Rena from the groups SKE48 and Nogizaka46, who attended the seminar as both a guest an anime fan."

Where did "attended (in MAG attended)" and "that were supported by" come from?
METI(Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry) is the only organization that did 呼びかけ.
What is the main verb of the second sentence?
松井玲奈 didn't attend the seminar as an anime fan.

I've been rereading that sentence maybe a hundred times now and I still can't get the translation. I still don't know MAG's purpose in the sentence because after セミナーには it talks about the guests and I can't seem to fit in MAGは anywhere, so I simply assumed that MAGは...プロジェクトで was an incomplete sentence about MAG attending the conference.
I thought that アニメファンとして meant "as an anime fan", that's the only meaning I know of として, what does that part actually mean?

The で in this case is not the location particle, but the te-form of です. The sentence can be split up in two:
「MAG」は、...「マンガ・アニメ海賊版対策協議会」のプロジェクトです。"MAG" is a project called "manga and anime anti-piracy conference". (The seminar is about this project)
セミナーには、A、Bのほか、Cが登壇した。Apart from A and B, C also made an appearance at the seminar.

And indeed, purely grammatically 松井玲奈 didn't "attend the seminar as an anime fan". She attended it "as a guest", and she's known as an anime fan.

Last edited:
You ignored the 知られる

xxx として知られる zzz

zzz, known as an xxx

I see, I have a pretty bad understanding of Japanese particles/grammar- this is what happens when one becomes too ambitious and attempts to read beyond their comprehensive abilities. Thank you!

I'm just guessing from the kanji, but I suspect 登壇 would involve more than just appearing at the conference, at least appearing in the dais and perhaps even speaking a bit. Just simply appearing would more likely be expressed by 登場, wouldn't it?

Thank you. I didn't read the early parts of the thread carefully.

Back
Top Bottom