What's new

Need help Translating a Hinomaru Yosegaki

Thaddeys

後輩
12 Mar 2016
Hello,
I recently purchased this Hinomaru Yosegaki from Dr Mike Bortner at Fortunesofwarmilitaria.com. I was wondering what the Kanji says as well as if there are any dates or if the family name is on it. THanks in advance!
glf-0011_1d.jpg glf-0011_2d.jpg glf-0011_3d.jpg glf-0011_4d.jpg glf-0011_5d.jpg20160108_090444.jpg
T

Anyone? I wish to find out the history on the Hinomaru Yosegaki to honor the soldier that carried it. I would really appreciate any help that I receive!

How does one honor a person by buying a personal item stolen from him or from his corpse? That's a serious question.

Valid question Mike. With every piece of militaria that I collect, I like to know the history behind it. I feel that if I know the story behind it, and if I am able to tell others the significance about it, that the soldier never truly died. The war was horrible for each of the different combatants involved. Telling the story of the different items and the significance that they have could possibly help future generation understand that this type of conflict can NEVER happen again. With this Hinomaru Yosegaki, I am going to frame it behind UV resistant glass to ensure that it remains preserved. I wish to find records on the soldier and trace his steps to see if he has any family left. It might not fit your personal views but that is why I want to research it....

If you discover who the soldier was and determine he does have surviving family do you intend to repatriate the flag?

Curious, Mr. Cash, I see nothing in Thaddey's question that indicates this item was "taken from a corpse". In fact, if one peruses eBay auctions for such items one will discover that they are often being sold by sellers in Japan; presumably from the grandchildren of soldiers who returned home, or never left the islands. It is not beneficial to assume the worst with no real evidence.

Curious, Mr. Cash, I see nothing in Thaddey's question that indicates this item was "taken from a corpse". In fact, if one peruses eBay auctions for such items one will discover that they are often being sold by sellers in Japan; presumably from the grandchildren of soldiers who returned home, or never left the islands. It is not beneficial to assume the worst with no real evidence.

I would find your position much more compelling were it based on a stronger foundation than the one you are criticizing. You base it on presumptions which have nothing more to recommend them than their palliative effect in removing any moral objections to the collection, possession, or display of war trophies of dubious provenance.

It is not beneficial to presume the best with no real evidence; it is merely self-serving.

I did not take a "position", I merely pointed out the weakness of yours. Sorry you misunderstood my statement, perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte. It is not a "war trophy" unless taken in combat; and you have no proof it was. Once again, you merely assume the worst.

I did not take a "position", I merely pointed out the weakness of yours. Sorry you misunderstood my statement, perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte. It is not a "war trophy" unless taken in combat; and you have no proof it was. Once again, you merely assume the worst.

And you assume the best, with no particular basis for doing so other than wishful thinking. The things you used to point out what you perceive as the "weakness" of my position (being based on an assumption) are, by your own words, themselves based on presumption. There is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. I have never placed below the 98th percentile in any reading comprehension test from childhood to adulthood. Don't try to pass off your own inability to recognize the flawed logic inherent in your criticism as being the result of a shortcoming on my end.

In the absence of reliable provenance, I'd rather "assume the worst" and do without a flag (or any other piece of memorabilia which was a personal possession rather than a piece of issued gear) than on NO BASIS other than speculation and wishful thinking convince myself that I wasn't adorning my home with items which may for all anyone knows was stolen from a POW or from the personal effects of a dead man.

I don't have to go through self-deceiving mental contortions to convince myself there isn't the slightest taint of immorality in this GHOULISH fascination with these flags. If you find it helps you sleep at night, then keep on convincing yourself that your baseless presumptions are inerrant facts instead.

Please stay on the topic.

@ The op, the surname of the recipient is 城戸 "Kido" or "Shiroto", and the given name is ?四郎 "?shirō". (The first kanji is illegible. It could be 傳四郎 "Denshirō".)

Here is a project to return the flag to the soldier's family if you are interested in it.
OBON 2015: English

Thank you for the reply Toritoribe. And thank you for helping keep The focus on the thread....I really appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom