What's new

Need help to translate from Japanese excerpt to English

nogos

後輩
28 May 2013
Hi,

can anyone help me translate this text to English please? If not, at least help me identify the subject or something because it has so many commas that it's confusing. It's the sentence that starts with 家具らしい。。。

This is an excerpt from an Okinawa text so I'm not really good with identifying the Okinawa dialect. I would really appreciate it if someone can help me. Thanks.

1.jpg

What part of that is in Okinawan dialect? Looks like standard Japanese to me.

The core of the sentence is わたしは写真を撮ることを思いついたのだった.
家具らしい家具も(ない) and 装飾品らしい小道具もない both modify 部屋.
いつの頃からか押入れに仕舞っておいた modifies オートボーイ.

It's written in Standard Japanese, and there is no Okinawan dialect in it, as Mike-san pointed out.

Last edited:
Try reading some novels by 松本清張, who my friend called 形容詞の少ない松本清張. He doesn't waste as much time on all the verbal clutter.

Hi Mike and Toritoribe,

First of all, thank you Toritoribe for your respond and short sentence breakdown, it helped a lot!

Mike,

I'm not saying that this particular sentence has Okinawa dialect. Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I meant to say that it's from an Okinawa text so there might be some Okinawa dialect in there in case a helper might not recognize it or something... And to answer your suggestion, I will most certainly read other easier texts after I finish this one since my Japanese is not good. This text is actually a text I'm reading for the purpose of doing an analysis about two of the author's work. One of them is translated while this one is not so I'm looking at her writing style in order to make my thesis stronger. In any case, thank you for the suggestion and I hope that you continue to help me with translations if I ever stumble upon something I can't translate myself.

Back
Top Bottom