What's new

Need help on sentence from anime

yellowjello

先輩
17 Aug 2011
the sentence reads:

"ore ni wa, omae ga omae de nakunaru hodo no nanika wo ushinatta you ni wa mienai kedo ne."

the part i'm confused about is the "omae ga omae de nakunaru hodo". If i omit "omae de nakunaru hodo no" then the full sentence would just mean "to me, it doesn't seem like you lost something."

I'm not sure how to translate "omae de nakunaru hodo no nanika". i think it roughly means "something that (because of you) is going to disappear." is this the correct interpretation of it?

but i believe the full sentence should translate to something like "to me, it doesn't seem like you lost the thing that makes you who you are."

could someone help explain how to interpret "omae de nakunaru hodo no nanika" and obtain an accurate translation for this sentence?

In over-literal translations,

omae de nai : not yourself
(the difference between this and omae ja nai is that there's no 'ha' particle involved. It's not a case of 'de' indicating agency.)
omae de naku naru : become not yourself
omae de naku naru hodo nanika wo ushinau : lose something to the extent of becoming not yourself

Unless it's a typo, though, the original says, "omae ga omae de nakunaru hodo no nanika," which would mean "something that (causes/makes?) you not to be yourself." Then he doesn't look like he's lost that thing, which all-in-all, looks like a really convoluted way of saying "you're still yourself." If the "no" was a typo and wasn't supposed to be there, I feel like it would make more sense.

I understand the sentence much more clearly now. thanks for both of your answers!

yes the original quote as I hear it does have the "no" before "nanika."

I have a question about the phrase "omae de nai". which meaning of the particle "de" is used in this situation? as stated above, "de" does not indicate agency in this situation. however, the only other use of "de" that occurs to me is to indicate location.

also, how is "omae de nai" different from "omae jya nai" in terms of meaning?

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I understand exactly what the sentence means with the 'no' that I overlooked. It feels weird.

I don't think that 'de' in 何々でなく is a particle at all, I believe it's a case of で as the て form of the copula. At least that's my impression from the way it's used, and also because the で in では・じゃ is the copula and this usage is essentially the same. There's many examples in 英辞郎, でなくの英訳|英辞郎 on the WEB:アルク ...

I can't really say there is a difference between 'omae de nai' and 'omae ja nai'. I mean, obvously there's a lack of a は particle, but I don't get much sense of contrast or setting topic from the は in じゃない, but to the extent that there is such a sense, it's not there in 'de nai'. Maybe I'm missing something.

Glenn-san is correct. "Omae de nakunaru hodo no" modifies "nani ka". If there isn't "no" there, it expresses "the extend" as Chris-san translated.

As for "de" vs "de wa/ja", they are the same in meaning in this case. The only difference would be that "ja" sounds colloquial than the rest.

Back
Top Bottom