What's new

need help identifying sake bottle

badmumps

後輩
27 Apr 2016
Bought a bottle and I am pretty sure it is a sake bottle. It stands 10 1/2" tall and has 3 different scenes with beautiful asian women in each. Thanks for any help because there isn't any identifying marks on bottle.

Attachments

• 20160426_202020.jpg
    20160426_202020.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 20160426_202010.jpg
    20160426_202010.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 20160426_202000.jpg
    20160426_202000.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 202
Looks very modern with all Western scenes. I can't imagine it was a sake bottle. Any markings on the bottom?

Bought a bottle and I am pretty sure it is a sake bottle. It stands 10 1/2" tall and has 3 different scenes with beautiful asian women in each. Thanks for any help because there isn't any identifying marks on bottle.
You mean a bottle to serve sake?

The neck looks wrong compared to the bottles with which I've generally been served. I'm no expert at sake (just an enthusiastic amateur :D), but the bottles I've usually seen are very tapered with a flare at the top for pouring. Somewhat like a bowling pin shape.

Doesn't look at all Japanese.

Yeah, I agree with the comment about looking on the bottom. Look very carefully all over the bottle. There should be some kind of writing somewhere that will give you a hint to help you figure out who made it.

No markings of any kind. I bought the bottle at an estate sale and it was listed as a sake bottle. Thanks, Andrew

Maybe this is related. Forgive me if it isn't but this oddity came from the same estate sale. This is a piece of ceramic art. Maybe these have similar origins.

Attachments

• 1461756817341.jpg
    1461756817341.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 1461756848315.jpg
    1461756848315.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 178
I think it is probably a Chinese name. Google turned up nothing.

Yeah, a Chinese name: 呂承杏 (Lu Chengxing). It matches the western-style signature below it. Only a couple of minor hits on google, but nothing related to the bottle.
I tried the search technique of cropping your photos to just the images of the women, and then doing a google image search, but that came up empty, too.

the bottle and tile do not look related; the tile seems to be signed by the artist, who I'm guessing from the way they signed their name in both languages that it's probably a Chinese person or person of Chinese descent that lives in the west.

The bottle appears to be just a nice bottle that got mislabeled, but it's much more likely it's European in origin, given the art nouveau styling.

One other purchase from the same estate sale is this. It has an Asian symbol or letter in the lower right corner above signature.

Attachments

• 20160430_205321-1.jpg
    20160430_205321-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • 20160430_205315-1.jpg
    20160430_205315-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
One other purchase from the same estate sale is this. It has an Asian symbol or letter in the lower right corner above signature.

It looks more like an affectation intended to resemble an Asian symbol or letter.

These other objects do not look at all related to the bottle.
I am pretty much out of ideas, but recommend that you very, very carefully scrutinize the bottle one more time, looking over every single part of it carefully, looking for any type of writing or marking, no matter how small or what color. It seems strange to me that such a bottle would have no identifying information anywhere on it. (It's likely, of course, that when sold there was a cap and other covering with identifying information, but I would expect something to appear on the bottle itself, as well.)

Paydirt!!

I tried the Google image search one more time, and this time I was successful. It appears that all three images are based on art deco illustrations from the early 1910s.
The artists are both French: Georges Lepape (red dress on swing, apple tree) and Charles Martin (table).

The three illustrations can be seen here, with additional info provided:
Georges Lepape's artwork titled La Balancoire presented by Artophile
Georges Lepape's artwork titled Le Verger presented by Artophile
Charles Martin's artwork titled La Surprise presented by Artophile

And here's a biography of Lepape:
Georges Lepape biography presented by The Artophile Gallery

By the way, that's a really cool bottle. Good find.

Paydirt!!

I tried the Google image search one more time, and this time I was successful. It appears that all three images are based on art deco illustrations from the early 1910s.
The artists are both French: Georges Lepape (red dress on swing, apple tree) and Charles Martin (table).

The three illustrations can be seen here, with additional info provided:
Georges Lepape's artwork titled La Balancoire presented by Artophile
Georges Lepape's artwork titled Le Verger presented by Artophile
Charles Martin's artwork titled La Surprise presented by Artophile

And here's a biography of Lepape:
Georges Lepape biography presented by The Artophile Gallery

By the way, that's a really cool bottle. Good find.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom