What's new

Need help again

UnHinged

後輩
23 Dec 2016
What is this phrase below? I can't make sense of it. Is that the katakana for 'mi' with ten ten or the kanji for 3 with the ten ten making it mean mitsu? I translated it as "You can smoke these three things, you see?", but the context is after saying that, the person gives reasons on why to shop at a store.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 102
The first katakana is シ, not ミ. How about other letters? Can you read what is written there correctly?

EDIT:
Did you read our replies in your previous thread?

The first katakana is シ, not ミ. How about other letters? Can you read what is written there correctly?

EDIT:
Did you read our replies in your previous thread?

I read the replies. Turns out gemuzu was Gamers (the shop).

Also considering ji to ru is katakana, what does "ja niru" mean? The best I can come up with is the ja being dewa and the niru being "to resemble". What would the translation be then?

ジャンル, not じゃにる

You really need to put in some more work on learning the basics first before you get into trying to read handwritten colloquial text.

I read the replies.

From our Forum Rules:

1 Display of courtesy

Our members and staff go to great lengths to answer questions and support requests. As a matter of general courtesy and basic "netiquette," we ask posters to acknowledge their efforts by either replying to their thread in a timely fashion or by expressing their gratitude with a "like". While the absence of such civility is deplorable, it will not result in an infraction. Be advised however that any future requests by members deemed discourteous and/or uncooperative may simply be ignored.

A "please" or a "thank you" never broke anybody's jaw.

Last edited:
ジャンル, not じゃにる

You really need to put in some more work on learning the basics first before you get into trying to read handwritten colloquial text.

From our Forum Rules:

1 Display of courtesy

Our members and staff go to great lengths to answer questions and support requests. As a matter of general courtesy and basic "netiquette," we ask posters to acknowledge their efforts by either replying to their thread in a timely fashion or by expressing their gratitude with a "like". While the absence of such civility is deplorable, it will not result in an infraction. Be advised however that any future requests by members deemed discourteous and/or uncooperative may simply be ignored.

A "please" or a "thank you" never broke anybody's jaw.

I'm sorry about that, thank you all for the help. It is just that this book uses katakana for non loan words at times and I am not used to handwritten text. It really means alot you guys are helping. I realize now that even after reading through the textbooks I am still having trouble with what is considered basic Japanese. I am going to reread them again I guess if I want to get anywhere near as good as the wonderful people here. Also thanks for the help you two.

You're very welcome and we're happy to help.

Go back through the opening section of each lesson, look through it, and determine what parts of each lesson you can just skim and which you feel it would benefit you to read more carefully again.

Handwritten Japanese can often be an entirely different beast than typeface Japanese. It definitely takes some getting used to.

Back
Top Bottom