What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Need good divorce lawyer

Mango

後輩
Reaction score
Hi, I am helping my Japanese friend with his divorce case. He is trying to find out his rights and entitlements, how much he has to pay for alimony etc. Can anyone recommend a good lawyer that deals with divorce cases? My friend is not living in Japan at the moment so he has to be able to communicate with this lawyer through telephone.

By the way, does anyone know off-hand whether Japanese law allows a couple to share inherited property after divorce? For example if a man has property which he inherited, would he have to split this with his wife and vice versa after they get divorced?

I heard that in Europe, Switzerland for example, the spouse cannot touch each other's property if they were inherited from their parents. Anyone know if this is true?

Appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Maciamo

Twirling dragon
Reaction score
Mango said:
By the way, does anyone know off-hand whether Japanese law allows a couple to share inherited property after divorce? For example if a man has property which he inherited, would he have to split this with his wife and vice versa after they get divorced?

If the spouses have signed a "prenuptial agreement", that is a contract signed before the marriage stipulating the conditions of divorce, such as property, custody of children, etc., then there is no problem. Contracts of separation of property are very common in some European countries, but if no such contract was signed, then the default law of the country where the divorce take place (?) are to be applied. But I don't think it is 50-50. There should be a legal limit to prevent someone to get married and divorced just to get half their spouse's property.

Mango

後輩
Reaction score
Dear Maciamo,

Thank you for your reply. No, there is no pre-nup agreement bec my friend does not want any of her property but he would like to use it as a leverage should she demand for alot of alimony from him. ie. he will not demand any of her property from her if she does not demand any alimony from him.

Wondering if anyone knows & can recommend a lawyer as the Japanese embassy in his current country of residence is able to provide him with a list of lawyers but he does not know which one is reliable so he is looking for a good lawyer through recommendation. He will get a divorce in Japan & not in current country of residence so need Japanese lawyer.

Mango

Top Bottom