What's new

Need English-learning resources for native Japanese speakers

JoeShmoe

Registered
14 Dec 2014
Hi, everyone,

I'm looking for English-learning textbooks, websites, programs, etc, that are written in Japanese for a native Japanese speaker to use. I have several English grammar and vocabulary books that are supposedly "beginner" level, but the explanations and everything are written in English, so I can't give these to a Japanese speaker who can't understand basic English already.

So essentially, what I need are some links to websites and resources that are written in Japanese for a Japanese native who is looking to learn English. Thank you.

How old is the person you want to help out? English is part of compulsory education here so it is very unlikely that the person has had absolutely zero exposure to learning English.

Churning out learning materials for people who want to learn English is also a lucrative industry in Japan; there is no shortage of materials.

Hey, Mike, thanks for your reply.

Well, the age range would probably be 13+. I'm in the waiting phase of the JET application, and I'm trying to gather a collection of ELT resources to help with lesson preparation, and also to use if I end up doing private lessons or opening up my own English school after the JET program.

My Japanese is at beginner level, so I'm unable to translate the English explanations of the grammar points in these books.

I'm sure there are a ton of materials out there that are exactly what I'm looking for, but because my Japanese is so poor, I can't search for those resources in Japanese. Hence, I'm getting all my Google results in English, which is showing me Japanese for English-Speakers, and I want the opposite. Secondly, I can't read Japanese, so even if I found the perfect resource, I wouldn't know it by looking at the Japanese title.

Your exuberance is admirable, but misdirected.

You'll not be expected to procure materials or prepare a curriculum. I think you may have a misunderstanding of what your role is likely to be as a JET teacher.

I understand that I'll just be an assistant to the JTE, and I won't be in charge of creating the lessons. The reason I'm looking for English-learning books written in Japanese right now is that there are Japanese speakers that I'm talking to online at the moment that would like some help in learning English. I'm looking for some resources to direct them to.

The other reasons I listed above are valid reasons as well, though not necessarily the primary reason. I understand that JET doesn't pay a whole lot, and that you pretty much have to "hustle" on the side and teach private lessons on the down-low if you want to have any kind of extra spending money. And yes, I know that working a second job while on a JET contract is a breach of contract, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do to survive and actually have the money to enjoy your time in Japan.

Direct your online friends to Amazon.co.jp or their neighborhood bookstore. Trust me; they're not going to suffer a shortage of materials if you don't research and recommend them for them.

Dial your enthusiasm down a few notches; you haven't even made it through the selection process yet.

Lol, I'm aware that I haven't been selected yet, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being proactive.

I can't read Japanese, so even if I found the perfect resource, I wouldn't know it by looking at the Japanese title.
So how in the hell are you (not the JTE) going to choose let alone teach with these? Most JHS and HS textbooks (like Horizon) already have instructions in Japanese anyway, which makes it easier for the JTE to use. You, on the other hand, will be totally lost.

Get your students used to simple instructions in English. I have found that even in college, they are lost if instructions are in a paragraph form even 2 sentences long. Complex sentences also confuse them. So, I've learned to make bullets/numbered lists of instructions, and even that is no guarantee.

Teach them key verbs and adverbs in English. It'll make your / their life easier down the road.

And learn some Japanese along the way yourself.

Back
Top Bottom