What's new

Need a word or phrase translated?

What does 思わず時が止まる mean here? (i guess it means : "I feel like time stopped around me" but i'm not sure)
Story: Protagonist gave an alien girl (A-san) his energy bar- kind of food. He thought she would take it and use her hand to eat that normally like him, but instead she hold his energy bar together with his fingers inside her mouth and taste it :D (she doesn't understand human's etiquette or common senses on Earth)
Protag「俺は料理できないんだよ。飯自体は……ほら、いつもこれ食べてるだろ?」
言いながら彼女に常備しているブロック状の携帯食を見せる。
Alien girl「これって……ご飯なの? お菓子じゃなくて?」
Protag「見たことないのか?結構腹に溜まるんだよ……少し食べてみる?」
Alien girl「ん、じゃあ遠慮なく……あー……あむ♪ もぐもぐもぐ。」
Protag「…………!?」
差し出した携帯食を受け取らず、そのままパクっと咥え込むAさんに思わず時が止まる。
そんな俺に構うことなく、Aさんは俺の指ごと携帯食を味わっていった。

Hello everyone, I need help with translating the description of an ukiyoe.
It goes like this: 無款 江戸名所八景 八まひ之内 ニ 両国夕照
たばこと塩の博物館
I understand everything, except for 八まひ之内 which I don't know how to translate, like at all. Can anyone help me?

What does 思わず時が止まる mean here? (i guess it means : "I feel like time stopped around me" but i'm not sure
Sorry - this one slipped through the cracks.
Yes, your interpretation is fine. 思わず means unexpectedly, or something happened beyond the speaker's control or intention. So yes, when she held on to the snack that he was holding, and took a bit, time just completely stopped for him. It was an unexpected thing that blew his mind (in a good way). He was smitten.

八まひ之内 ニ

〇之内〇 is a very common construction. On ukiyoe you see it often, because many ukiyoe were printed as a set of many individual prints. "100 Views of Edo" or "53 Stations of the Tokaido", etc... so you find 〇之内〇 on many ukiyoe prints (well, it helps to know that 之 means の).

Once you know that, the rest is intuitive.

It's also useful to know that Japanese writing up until the early 20th used ひ and へ and ふ for words that ended in the い, え, or う sound. So words like 思い are written as 思ひ, or 変え becomes 変へ, etc... Similarly, the use of dakuten is relatively recent also, so old Japanese writings don't have dakuten. 喜ぶ would be written as 喜ふ.

Last edited:
There's 1 hard part when a character is describing the origin of 1 historical character, hope somebody could help me understand this correctly.
呉郡の一兵家に過ぎなかった (my guess but not sure: "He was born from a normal soldier family in Go district/county" ? )
Context: 2 character are discussing about the origin of 1 historical character (孫堅 )
A「すごいなぁ……孫子の末裔なんだ」
B「ふむ。じゃが、炎蓮様は単にその家柄にあぐらをかいていたわけではない」(*炎蓮様 is another name of 孫堅)
B「孫武の流れとはいえ、あの方も元々は、呉郡の一兵家に過ぎなかった」

Last edited:
There's 1 hard part when a character is describing the origin of 1 historical character, hope somebody could help me understand this correctly.
呉郡の一兵家に過ぎなかった (my guess but not sure: "He was born from a normal soldier family in Go district/county" ? )
Context: 2 character are discussing about the origin of 1 historical character (孫堅 )
A「すごいなぁ……孫子の末裔なんだ」
B「ふむ。じゃが、炎蓮様は単にその家柄にあぐらをかいていたわけではない」(*炎蓮様 is another name of 孫堅)
B「孫武の流れとはいえ、あの方も元々は、呉郡の一兵家に過ぎなかった」
Yes, it looks to me like
"He was born from nothing more than a soldier's family in Gō county."

Or, if you prefer
a poor soldier's family
a humble soldier's family

that's sort of what the original implies, even though it doesn't explicitly state "poor" or "humble". It's embedded in the phrase に過ぎなかった

Yes, it looks to me like
"He was born from nothing more than a soldier's family in Gō county."

Or, if you prefer
a poor soldier's family
a humble soldier's family

that's sort of what the original implies, even though it doesn't explicitly state "poor" or "humble". It's embedded in the phrase に過ぎなかった
i got another answer from a Japanese on internet, he said this kanji combination 一兵家 probably mean : "a military strategist / a person's occupation" and not about his family. Maybe someone could give opinions about this.

I think the critical part of the sentence is に過ぎなかった. Meaning that the person in question was nothing special.
And, considering the times, when potential occupations were probably farmer, soldier, scholar, merchant, or bureaucrat, the intent of the author is to say that the person was from a mere soldier's family. I think if you try to spin it by saying "a strategist's family" it takes on a nuance that shouldn't be there.

That's my interpretation, anyway. (Well, also, I think strategist would be more like "戦術家".)

身体能力を引き上げる、魔術未満の魔力行使だ。
Hope someone could help me understand this part correctly. I could only guess the character mean something like : "He use mana/inner energy to increase physical ability, not for magic spell" ??

Context: A girl describe his opponent while he's trying to get close to her position, in a magic fight. Her opponent is using dagger as weapon, while the girl doesn't use melee weapon (only magic spell)
防護魔術を展開し続けられるだけの魔力は、私にはもはや残されてはいない。
切り返すための魔力すらも、無くなってしまう―
Girl(守ったら駄目!!)
近付かれる前に、奴を仕留める。
それ以外に道はない――そう、分かっているのに。
Girl「っ、疾い……!?」
人の域を遥かに超えたその速度。
身体能力を引き上げる、魔術未満の魔力行使だ。
Girl「そんな魔力、一体どこに……!」
おまけにこちらの構えを見て取ったのか、直線的だった奴の軌道が大きく揺らぎだす。
右に、左に。また右に。
大胆に跳躍し、かと思えば小刻みな牽制を交えて。

包み込むような雰囲気
Hope someone could explain what does this mean about a person's aura/vibe
Full sentence : A girl's thought when she met another woman who came to help her in a fight with enemy (she can use power to summon a scythe as her weapon). This woman told the girl don't use it to kill people (i guess another Naruto lesson about saving life of an enemy :D)
初めて会う人で、敵か味方もわからないけれど、包み込むような雰囲気で言われて、私は思わず鎌を身に戻してしまった。

Oh - I get it: the girl with the scythe is the speaker.

So its

"It was the first time to meet her, and I didn't know if she was friend or foe, but her voice was so soothing/comforting that I put my weapon/scythe away"

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the meaning of this part 手がかりがもろすぎて / "My hands are too weak" ? Hope someone could tell me what did this expression mean exactly
Context: A character's thought when he's hiking/climbing up a mountain road to the summit, then he saw a strange black human-like figure a head, got surprised and slipped.
いやな気分を振り払おうと、頭を振った瞬間――視界の隅に見えた人影。
Mc「え!?」
ここは尾根だ。正面の山頂以外、足場はない。なのに、何もない場所に人影!?
逆光の中に浮かび上がる、その漆黒のシルエットに目を奪われた瞬間。僕は足を滑らせた。
Mc「うわっ!? あああああああっっ!? わぁーーーーーーっっ!!」
勢いで足元の砂利が次々と砕け、無数の玉になって僕を転倒させる。
慌てて山肌をつかもうとしても、手がかりがもろすぎて――滑落が止まらない!!

その笑顔に当てられた
I met this expression but not sure what it means in a story, my guess is :" I fell in love with her smile" ? Hope someone could help
Protagonist is remembering about his co-worker at his part time job.
MC「お嫁さん、か」
失恋したわけじゃない。
バイト先の店員さんが寿退社することになり、その笑顔に当てられたというか。
MC「……ずっと子ども扱いだったもんなあ」
店員さんより僕の方が年上だったんだけど、小柄で童顔のせいか、弟みたいに可愛がられてた。

その笑顔に当てられた
I met this expression but not sure what it means in a story, my guess is :" I fell in love with her smile" ? Hope someone could help
Protagonist is remembering about his co-worker at his part time job.
MC「お嫁さん、か」
失恋したわけじゃない。
バイト先の店員さんが寿退社することになり、その笑顔に当てられたというか。
MC「……ずっと子ども扱いだったもんなあ」
店員さんより僕の方が年上だったんだけど、小柄で童顔のせいか、弟みたいに可愛がられてた。
Yes or more literally, "I was struck by her smile."

I need help with a snippet of text, I don't really understand its meaning.
領域を押し返す時の初動に近い感覚かな?
For context.
必中効果は薄まるが確実に術式を中和してくる
What is the role of the particles は and が here? I mean, 'sure-hit effect will be weakened and technique will definitely be neutralized'? Or is there no 'and' here?

不適な笑み
I met this while reading a story, but don't understand what did the author mean about a smile. Hope somebody could answer !
Story: A boss of a mercenary group just received a contract from the King of a country. The letter said the King will hire them to join the war against the elf race.
王国兵は封蝋に王国の紋章が入った手紙を渡してきた。
ここまで仰々しい手紙は、俺が傭兵団に入ってから初めて見た。
グレイ (Boss of mercenary group)「いつもは簡易的な封蝋のクセに、今日は一段と気合入ってんな」
封蝋で閉じられた手紙を開き、依頼を確認する。
グレイ「くくっ! なるほどねぇ……」
長々と形式ばった文章が書かれていたが、要約すれば『金を出すからエルフとの戦争に加わってくれ』とのことだった。
傭兵幹部A「どんな依頼だったんっすか?」
グレイ「お前らも読んでみろ。最高の気分になれるぞ」
俺は手紙を団員に渡す。
すると手紙を読んだヤツらは軒並み不適な笑みを浮かべ、ウズウズし始めた。
傭兵幹部B「……なるほど。エルフ族との戦争に加勢しろということですか。これは面白いですね」

Hi everyone, while reading a novel I stumbled upon this sentence: 「これ程好チクリンな事件に出会ったのは初めてだ」.
Can anyone help me with the translation of 好チクリンな事件?
I'm finding various different translations such as "such a good-natured case", "a friendly case" etc. but none seems to be correct.

I need help with a snippet of text, I don't really understand its meaning.
領域を押し返す時の初動に近い感覚かな?
What part don't you understand?

必中効果は薄まるが確実に術式を中和してくる
What is the role of the particles は and が here?
は is the contrastive marker and が is for the adversative conjunction.

Back
Top Bottom