What's new

Navy yokosuka

Amourdemavie

後輩
5 Oct 2016
Can someone help me what do .. I dated a guy who worked in Yokosuka base and got me pregnant.. He doesn't want the child ran on his obligation...I don't know where to start or to call if I should get a lawyer right away... Someone told. Me that need to talk to the commanding officer.. Or call the base office.. Does someone knows?? Please help me ...

I would try contacting the base chaplain as a start , they deal with issues like this. If you pursue the issue , they will probably ask for a DNA test for proof of fatherhood. He will probably claim you tricked him by saying you were on birth control. If he has been transferred to another base or discharged from the Navy , it may be more difficult to solve. Good luck.

Contact these guys:

RLSO Japan | U.S. Navy JAG Corps

Tell them your story. You may or may not need to engage a local attorney to file suit against him. If there are legal actions pending, he will be placed on "legal hold" and not allowed to transfer or leave the country until it is resolved. (My ship sometimes lost guys who got held in the Philippines after bar girls filed charges for not marrying them after the guys said "I love you").

thank you for replying.. I tried to call the base all they say they can't help me because I'm civilian :(

Contact these guys:

Tell them your story. You may or may not need to engage a local attorney to file suit against him. If there are legal actions pending, he will be placed on "legal hold" and not allowed to transfer or leave the country until it is resolved. (My ship sometimes lost guys who got held in the Philippines after bar girls filed charges for not marrying them after the guys said "I love you").

i did try to call many times but still the same.... I Wanted to go there but I can't coz I'm 8 months pregnant now and even difficult for me to travel coz it. Takes 2 hours for me to get there.. Hope you could help me what to do...

Contact these guys:

I would try contacting the base chaplain as a start , they deal with issues like this. If you pursue the issue , they will probably ask for a DNA test for proof of fatherhood. He will probably claim you tricked him by saying you were on birth control. If he has been transferred to another base or discharged from the Navy , it may be more difficult to solve. Good luck.[/QUOTE

He will be staying here still 2018 and i can prove that this is his child if he wants to do a DNA test

Did you try the U.S. Embassy? This must be a common issue.

I found a couple of things but it doesn't help if the guy is not cooperating.
http://www.usarj.army.mil/cmdstaffs...f_Wedlock_to_a_US_Citizen_Father_20131219.pdf
http://www.usarj.army.mil/cmdstaffs/sja/assist/Establishing_Paternity_20131219.pdf

I also read that paternity is established at a state level which means you may need to have the legal action taken in the U.S.
Anyway I would try the U.S. Embassy and then find a lawyer experienced with this kind of thing.

The Embassy would just tell her to contact the military.

From
Military Family Law Thirteen Common Questions

The Defense Department considers paternity to be a civil matter for the courts to decide. Commanders will not become involved in disputed cases, other than to refer the servicemember (or the nonsupport complainant) to the civil courts.

She needs a Japanese lawyer to start a suit in a Japanese court.

From
http://www.usarj.army.mil/cmdstaffs/sja/assist/Establishing_Paternity_20131219.pdf
  1. A service member has no legal obligation to provide financial support to a child born out of wedlock unless the mother gets a court order that identifies him as the father and directs payment of financial support.

Very important information
Under Japanese law, there's more to paternity than DNA | The Japan Times

The court can't force a DNA test.

Last edited:
How do you know, did you ask them?

Sure....just like you asked them if they could do anything for her before you suggested it.

If nothing else I would think they would point her to resources such as these.

Which one of those would you say is most pertinent to her situation? Did you unearth an answer to her question from among those links?

I can't understand why you think the Embassy would be helpful. Do you imagine that they are in the chain of command over DoD personnel? Or that they have judicial powers to compel the guy to admit paternity? Or to bring suit in a Japanese court on her behalf?

The guy is in Japan under SOFA status and subject to action in Japanese courts, civil as well as criminal. With a court order establishing paternity and ordering child support, she can apply to the military to have a portion of his military salary sent directly to her.

If the guy isn't stepping up to recognize paternity voluntarily, then she needs to take him to court. Plain and simple....she needs a lawyer.

Sure....just like you asked them if they could do anything for her before you suggested it.
I didn't make a definitive statement about it. You did.

Which one of those would you say is most pertinent to her situation? Did you unearth an answer to her question from among those links?
I don't know and no.

I can't understand why you think the Embassy would be helpful.
Because as I pointed out, they most certainly have encountered this question before and probably have a standard answer about it. (Possibly "this is a SOFA matter, find a lawyer.") And because they have some helpful links to legal resources on their web page.

Do you imagine that they are in the chain of command over DoD personnel? Or that they have judicial powers to compel the guy to admit paternity? Or to bring suit in a Japanese court on her behalf?
No, I did not imagine or think any of these things.

Because as I pointed out, they most certainly have encountered this question before and probably have a standard answer about it. (Possibly "this is a SOFA matter, find a lawyer.") And because they have some helpful links to legal resources on their web page.

So you are of the opinion that the Embassy would do nothing for her except tell her they can do nothing for her and that needs a lawyer...but she should go through all the hassle that accompanies trying to do anything at the U.S. Embassy anyway because they would point her to webpages? Probably give her a nice printout from Let Me Google That For You on official embassy letterhead stationary.

If you did not imagine or think of any way in which the Embassy could actually do anything useful toward resolving her problem beyond doing her Google searches for her then it was a rather useless "pass-the-buck " suggestion to make. Somewhat worse than useless, actually, since it would involve the time, expense, and discomfort of a very pregnant woman in Saitama making a trip to Tokyo and back just to be pointed to the internet anyway.

Which link to legal resources on their webpage did you find contained pertinent information? I don't know if you actually readv any of that list of links or any of the pages the links redirect to. I gave it a quick try and carne up empty-handed. If there were something in there actually useful to her situation and you had actually gone through the links checking for it, I imagine you would have pointed her directly to the useful information you found.

So you are of the opinion that the Embassy would do nothing for her except tell her they can do nothing for her and that needs a lawyer...but she should go through all the hassle that accompanies trying to do anything at the U.S. Embassy anyway because they would point her to webpages? Probably give her a nice printout from Let Me Google That For You on official embassy letterhead stationary.
What hassle? Certainly she can make a phone call. I already stated my opinion which is that the Embassy has most certainly handled this question before and that they may have some helpful information for her. They may very well have nothing helpful to say. No way to tell without asking.

If you did not imagine or think of any way in which the Embassy could actually do anything useful toward resolving her problem beyond doing her Google searches for her then it was a rather useless "pass-the-buck " suggestion to make. Somewhat worse than useless, actually, since it would involve the time, expense, and discomfort of a very pregnant woman in Saitama making a trip to Tokyo and back just to be pointed to the internet anyway.
I never suggested making a trip to Tokyo. It didn't even occur to me since she already said she wasn't up for travel. The logical thing to do would be to call or email them.

Which link to legal resources on their webpage did you find contained pertinent information? I don't know if you actually readv any of that list of links or any of the pages the links redirect to. I gave it a quick try and carne up empty-handed. If there were something in there actually useful to her situation and you had actually gone through the links checking for it, I imagine you would have pointed her directly to the useful information you found.
I saw the links on family law and lawyers and took a peek on the family law and attorney pages. That was enough for me to think the Embassy has some helpful info (links) at least. I didn't notice until just now but there's also a link to this legal assistance center. You were the one telling her to get lawyer. I'm surprised you wouldn't think these pages are helpful.

Have you ever tried calling the embassy?

I'm surprised you think a Japanese woman needs a page linking to pages of information in English when all she needs to do is contact a local Japanese attorney. She has to sue the guy in a Japanese court.

Have you ever tried calling the embassy?
I'm not sure. Certainly not lately.
I'm surprised you think a Japanese woman needs a page linking to pages of information in English when all she needs to do is contact a local Japanese attorney. She has to sue the guy in a Japanese court.
She is asking questions in English on an English web site. All of those links are for Japanese attorneys in Japan. Obviously they can work in Japanese. Those attorneys probably have more experience dealing with international matters than a random lawyer she may find in her neighborhood.

Don't know if the person is still reading this thread, but the Hiragana Times - Japanese Learning Material / Magazine has some advertisements in it with attorneys that deal with international problems, maybe such as hers. If she can go to the library, many have this magazine on their magazine shelf, or she can go to a major book store and purchase it. Normally this magazine sells out quickly so it's best to go to the bookstore around the first of the month.

I'm not sure. Certainly not lately.

She is asking questions in English on an English web site. All of those links are for Japanese attorneys in Japan. Obviously they can work in Japanese. Those attorneys probably have more experience dealing with international matters than a random lawyer she may find in her neighborhood.

hello thank you for your reply... I did some calls and went to Yokosuka base to ask about my situation .. But I failed ... I'm now confined at the hospital I'm 32 weeks pregnant now and been stressed trying how to figure this out.. The hospital won't let me go and need to stay here till I gave birth on December 25th.. Which is the best thing to do?.. Should I just do it by phone calls or after I gave birth?..Do you know any lawyers from here in Japan that usually handle that?? I tried some lawyers here and asked but says don't handle that kind of issues..

Thanks for the reply.. I would not be able to go to the store coz the hospital won't let me out.. I'll be stucked here till December.. I try to call some lawyers here but says they don't handle that kind of issues .. I just feel bad I don't know what to do anymore.. How to start and find help about my case ..

Back
Top Bottom