What's new

Naval NCO Hat Inside tag

Jags1

後輩
2 Oct 2018
I appreciate all the folks that looked at the previous photos but, as I didn't get any response as to the meaning of the symbols, I thought it might that the photos weren't the best. I have retaken the photos and hope these will be clearer for review. As stated before, I believe this is a IJN NCO billed cap with the inside tag offering details on when it was made, etc. I think it was made in 1943.
Again, thank you for any translation, or information that you can provide. (Also, if someone can point out the proper orientation of the tag that would be appreciated.)

Attachments

• IMG_2726.JPG
    IMG_2726.JPG
    572.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2727.JPG
    IMG_2727.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2729.JPG
    501.3 KB · Views: 192
Hello,
The two on the far right are oriented correctly. (But its not such a chore to figure them out even if upside down, so no need to stress to much over that).
This is a cap issued to Mr. Heihachirō Naitō, from the Naval Supply station in the city of Kure (in Hiroshima Prefecture). Kure was a major naval port during the war. As you guessed, this was issued in 1945 (Showa 18), in May.

入籍番号 呉山三水二九二六六 Enrollment Number: Kure (some abbreviation military division) #29266
氏名 内藤平八郎 Name: Naitō Heihachirō
交付年月 十八年五月 Issue Date: May 1943

寸法及制作年月 Size and Manufacture Date: (blank)
呉軍需部 (白石)Kure Military Supply: (stamped "Shiraishi", which is the name of the person who issued it, or inspected it).

This is a bit of speculation, but based on information from these two sources:

website - 名前も番号に
book - 海軍の男たち: 士官と下士官兵の物語

I think that the 山三 part of the enrollment number may be an abbreviation of the kanji 徴, which indicates that the soldier is a conscript (徴兵), as opposed to a volunteer. (The volunteer code is 志, which is short for 志願兵.)

And the 水, as one would probably guess, indicates navy.

Edit: It seems that 水 means not just 'navy' in general, but more specifically 'deckhand', or general sailor. There are separate category codes for engineering (機), construction (工), and accounting / paymaster (主).

For future reference, the other base codes besides Kure (呉) are:

横 横須賀 Yokosuka
舞 舞鶴 Maizuru
佐 佐世保 Sasebo

Last edited:
Hello,
The two on the far right are oriented correctly. (But its not such a chore to figure them out even if upside down, so no need to stress to much over that).
This is a cap issued to Mr. Heihachirō Naitō, from the Naval Supply station in the city of Kure (in Hiroshima Prefecture). Kure was a major naval port during the war. As you guessed, this was issued in 1945 (Showa 18), in May.

入籍番号 呉山三水二九二六六 Enrollment Number: Kure (some abbreviation military division) #29266
氏名 内藤平八郎 Name: Naitō Heihachirō
交付年月 十八年五月 Issue Date: May 1943

寸法及制作年月 Size and Manufacture Date: (blank)
呉軍需部 (白石)Kure Military Supply: (stamped "Shiraishi", which is the name of the person who issued it, or inspected it).
Thank you very much for the information.... much appreciated!

This is a bit of speculation, but based on information from these two sources:

website - 名前も番号に
book - 海軍の男たち: 士官と下士官兵の物語

I think that the 山三 part of the enrollment number may be an abbreviation of the kanji 徴, which indicates that the soldier is a conscript (徴兵), as opposed to a volunteer. (The volunteer code is 志, which is short for 志願兵.)

And the 水, as one would probably guess, indicates navy.

Edit: It seems that 水 means not just 'navy' in general, but more specifically 'deckhand', or general sailor. There are separate category codes for engineering (機), construction (工), and accounting / paymaster (主).

For future reference, the other base codes besides Kure (呉) are:

横 横須賀 Yokosuka
舞 舞鶴 Maizuru
佐 佐世保 Sasebo
Great information and very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom