What's new

Naming my, "music shrine."

Dexter

Registered
15 Aug 2017
I'm a music engineering hobbyist of 5 years, and my music studio has a Japanese Shrine theme. I want to give it a name to put at the entrance of the room, but I don't have enough confidence in my Japanese to make the name myself. Anyone know what I could call the room, and how I could write it in Kanji form? Thank you!! (New member, please no hate!!)

How about 武道館 (Budokan). It's not a shrine of course but it is Japanese with Japanese architectural elements. Plus a rich music history starting with the sacrilegious foreign invasion that led to the breakdown of social order that we see today.

武道館 means "martial arts hall" and is more than just the name of the one multi-use venue you're thinking of. It would be like having a music conservatory and hanging a sign on the front saying "gymnasium".

You could simply call it 造楽宮, read as zogakugu, with the first and last vowel sounds long, and the middle two short.
The three characters, in this name, would have the meanings "make", "music" and "shrine".

That's beautiful, thank you!
You could simply call it 造楽宮, read as zogakugu, with the first and last vowel sounds long, and the middle two short.
The three characters, in this name, would have the meanings "make", "music" and "shrine".

Is 造 also used for "make" in regard to abstract things? I thought it was only for the concrete.

Is 造 also used for "make" in regard to abstract things? I thought it was only for the concrete.
It's not a strict rule. For example, 造語 means to coin a word. Perhaps 作 would be nicer, but "sakugakuguu" doesn't have a nice ring to it, and would be hard for non-Japanese to say.

It's not a strict rule. For example, 造語 means to coin a word. Perhaps 作 would be nicer, but "sakugakuguu" doesn't have a nice ring to it, and would be hard for non-Japanese to say.

Me being at the head of the line on that.

I like the 楽, since it carries a double association with both music and pleasure.

武道館 means "martial arts hall" and is more than just the name of the one multi-use venue you're thinking of. It would be like having a music conservatory and hanging a sign on the front saying "gymnasium".
Only if the Gymnasium was synonymous with an event hall that hosted the world's biggest musical acts.
Virtually the entire country knows what the (Nihon)Budokan is and that it hosts a lot more than martial arts.
But of course your point is something Dexter should take into consideration.

Only if the Gymnasium was synonymous with an event hall that hosted the world's biggest musical acts.
Virtually the entire country knows what the (Nihon)Budokan is and that it hosts a lot more than martial arts.
But of course your point is something Dexter should take into consideration.

The entire country also knows that the country is loaded with 武道館 and refer to their local 武道館 as 武道館 as well. It is a common noun. If you mean it as a proper noun referring to one specific 武道館 in Tokyo, then a viable alternative to the name 日本武道館 might be to read it in the typical gaijin mispronounced manner, "Buddha Con".

A not-so-short list of major 武道館 may be seen at:
https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/武道館

What do you all think of having it finish with 堂?

More Buddhist temple building than Shinto shrine sounding, but if experience is any guide then it is likely the difference between temple and shrine may not be one the OP is aware of or would care about.

Yes, I was thinking 堂 or 院, but backed off because it wasn't "shrine" related. Personally I like 堂.

Notice that the basic meaning of 宮 is palace. Indeed 宮 or 神宮 can be a shrine name, but it's only when the enshrined deity is related to the Japanese imperial family (e.g. 伊勢神宮, 明治神宮) or a historic person (e.g. 天満宮, 東照宮). I recommend using the most common word 神社 instead of 宮. (Just 社 is also used for shrine names, but this kanji can mean "company", too.)

Back
Top Bottom