What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Names

kiyye

後輩
Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking for Japanese names with relevant meanings to some characters. I am a little bit confused, but I think Japanese names are written in kanji? Anyways, I need to know if the following kanji would be appropriate for a character's name:

画金 - It should mean "gold painting" (the character is an artist with hair made of gold) I think the reading is gakin or gekin.

I also need suggestions of names for some other characters: a girl who can breathe underwater - a girl who's hair changes color - a serious girl who loves to write things - a girl who is fluent in a lot of languages - a girl who can float - and a girl who is obsessed with the color pink

Thank you for your help! :)

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
You're not looking for names; you're looking for descriptive terms.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
The way I understood it, the OP is hoping for names (either known names or possibly made-up names) that suggest those characteristics.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
It's quite hard, probably almost impossible to look for/make up names that have such meanings, and at the same time, that sound natural as a name. The OP, are you looking for male given names or female given names, in the first place?

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by this world in which people are named after their abilities/character when they grow up, rather than by the usual method of their parents picking a name they like.

More seriously, most but not all Japanese names are written in kanji. However, it's not uncommon for girls' names to be written in hiragana - for example さくら is relatively popular and works for one of your examples. That doesn't mean that you can stick any two kanji together and it will look like a name, any more than the fact that many girls names in English end in the letter a makes Paranoia a lovely name for a girl.

You could look up what kanji are common in names, and find something that kind of matches: for example 絵 is pretty common in girls' names and would work for your first example (絵美 or something). 金 could be part of the family name.

kiyye

後輩
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for all the replies :D Anyways, I took all your advice into consideration and picked some names. Please let me know what you think of them and whether the meanings are accurate (surname written first):

for the girl who can breathe underwater: 島大(Shimaoo - large island) 慶子(Keiko - happy child)

for the girl who's hair changes color: 宮徳(Miyatoku - shrine virtue) 愛美(Aimi - love beauty)

for the girl who is obsessed with the color pink: 宮徳(Miyatoku - shrine virtue) 愛子(Aiko - Love Child)

for the serious girl who loves to write things (also, does archery): 黒石(Kuroishi - black stone) 真弓(Mayumi - true bow)

for the girl who is fluent in a lot of languages: 松森(Matsumori - Pine Forest) 文子(Fumiko - writing child)

for the girl who can float: 中空気(Nakakuki - middle air) あけみ(Akemi - bright and beutiful)

and for the girl who is an artist with hair made of gold:金山(Kinyama - gold mountian) 絵美(Emi - picture)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
ALL of those names CAN'T have such meanings, I'm afraid. As for surnames, we usually don't think about its meaning. For instance, I don't think of "large island" when I see a name 大島, probably because, unlike given names, the surname is taken over the parent's one automatically.

Top Bottom