What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Names..

Anannsul

Watashi no shi no hashi
Reaction score
How does one translate their name into Japanese? Is there a way to do that or does it just stay the same?

If names can be translated I would LOVE for mine to be translated.. and also, explained to me how this can be done...

Name: Prescilla

oh, and how would you write that in the characters?

😌

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
You don't translate your name. You transliterate your name.

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
Reaction score
One way would be to take your name and find out what it means.
For example your name, Prescilla, is a diminutive of the latin Prisca perhaps Former,Ancient. Take the meaning and then try and find a Kanji equilvalent to it.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Haha, I'm just thinking of someone running around with the name 昔?

Last edited:

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Mike is quite right; the common practice is to take your (in this case, English) name and reproduce it using Japanese graphemes (kana). Many English phonemes are non-present in Japanese, and so the Japanese equivalents are used.

Technically, none of the syllables in your name are present in Japanese (assuming it's pronounced the way I say it; I'm from California). Because of this, the closest approximants to "Prescilla" would be what Hiroyuki Nagashima wrote: プリシーラ (purishiira). This word has no meaning in Japanese, it is simply the way a Japanese person would pronounce your English name.

Some people do take the meaning of their name and translate it into Kanji (which rarely results in a commonly used name, and very rarely if ever sounds like your real name), and some people even find kanji that corresponds with the Japanese transliterations for their name (such as 有道出人). These names technically have meanings, but are not "real Japanese names" either.

So I guess the question is, which method do you prefer?

Anannsul

Watashi no shi no hashi
Reaction score
oi... @[email protected] I.. think I'll go the kana way.. XD but after hearing these descriptions..
Now I'm not so sure I want to take Japanese language in college... I might fail horribly. T_T
I forgot to add... Thank you everyone for your input and help. ^_^

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
good choice; kana is the most popular way to go, and is also the least confusing when you introduce yourself to Japanese people (though you might have to repeat your name a few times for them to get it right.

Japanese isn't the easiest language to learn, but perserverance goes a long way. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Top Bottom