What's new

name question

staceya

後輩
24 Sep 2009
hello,hello,
i am wondering if anyone knows the history of origins of the last name USUKAWA? or if anyone knows where USUAKAWA-MANJU originated??

any help would be great! thank you.

I thought the "usukawa" of "usukawa manju" referred to 薄皮, literally "thin skin". In other words, the manju is mostly filling, with the outer wrapping being only a thin layer.

There are two rare Japanese family names pronounced "Usukawa":

窶ーPツ静ャ (kanji characters meaning "mortar (for grinding)" and "river")

窶昶?督静ャ (characters for "thin" and "river")

They probably are names associated with geographical locations in Japan, but I have no information on these names.

They have nothing to do with "usukawa-manju" which Mike has described already.

AND, please do not double post, thank you.

Egyptian origins

Stacey...
Please be forewarned that I am an amateur historian taxi driver, not an academic, not a college graduate, so you can disregard what I am about to tell you.
From the 1921 amazing book, An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, by Wallis Budge,
on pages 181 to 183 he lists the amazing meaning of the prefix Usar and User. This was the world famous Osiris, God of All Gods at one time.
I had previously researched the suffix "gawa" as meaning "river", but also interesting on page 183 are the multiple Egyptian entries of Usekht ent Maati, or Usekht Sekht Ananru, or Usekht Shu.... where the prefix, plausibly "Usukan-tee" referred to a religious field or "area". Also, the extremely old name "gaia" - "guy-yah" or "gah-wah" meant mother earth, or probably, "mother ocean", "mother river" where humanity is alleged to have srpung. (We are all born like fish in water, hence "being born from mother ocean")
Note: Gawa is very close to "gan" which usually means, "son of", family of... etc.
The second name Manchu could mean many things, or it could mean the proper name of a King or God. If not a proper name, if you drop the n in Manchu, you almost have Maatchu, Spirit of Truth-Maat, as in the Peruvian... Machu Pichhu. With the n, you could have the God of fertility, Min, or the Hindu/Egyptian Men, Menna, first man of creation.
And from page 282 of Budge's book, you have Mantchit, Mantit, referring to the rising sun.
The fact that you have Osiris absolutely referred to in the first name, and rising sun plausibly in the second name, you have an extremely old reference to the pre-flood Osiris God, and the name most probably refers to a family name, follower of Osiris...
Followers of Osiris of the Rising Sun.
Also note, your User, Usar, Usua, Osiris prefix shares naming commonalities with
Talla-has-see and Hu-sa-tonic, both major references to Allah and Tanis, two ancient sun Gods.
If you would like to see the hieroglyphics, let me know.

Just two things

1)
薄皮饅頭[Usukawa-manjuu] is not a person's name but a name of Japanese sweets.

16acrcl-1.jpg

Manjuu is originally from a Chinese word; Mantou. Wiki explains the etymology of it.
Mantou - Wikipedia

2)
川/河 or "river" is ALWAYS pronounced as kawa as a single word. Gawa is used only when rendaku is occurred.

"-Gawa" came from "kawa" (meaning river), k changed to g simply because it is combined with another word.
One cannot trace its origin from this form "gawa" because 川 alone is never pronounced as "gawa" and "gawa" cannot be used/exist on its own.

Edit: Oops, Toritoribe san beat me! :p

Here we go again...

Folks, etymology is fun because it challenges all of us in our intellects.

I propose that over 5000 years single phonetic sounds or strings of sounds, can have identical meanings, or opposite meanings, within the same geographic areas, or spread out all over the world.

So if you prefer to think that one singular answer explains a single string of phonetics, I do not have the academic prowess to call you wrong.

And certainly if you place all your trust in Wikipedia, you are a more "understanding" person than myself.

So for the moment, I certainly accept your answers as better than mine, but 5000 years is a long time to think one meaning explains all, for every culture, for all geographies.

Example: "Food of the Gods" to the central American indigenous was "Co-Co", chocolate.
"God of all Gods" to some Amerindians was "Kah Kah" in ancient times, i.e., Titicaca, Texcaca, Teshekoku.
Defication to modern day indigenous Amerindians is the slang word "Kah Kah".

Historically speaking, there is typically no single answer.

I recommend looking up the meaning of a word; 窶「窶ー窶堋ッツ静俄?堋オ窶堙拏makeoshimi].;-)

If your rather unique interpretation in your previous post is based on the dictionary you have, and if you place all your trust in it, you are also a "understanding" person as same as most people.:p

The second name Manchu could mean many things, or it could mean the proper name of a King or God.

Before you go to all the work to gallop out to the far end of the topmost branch, you could save yourself a little sweat and toil by first making sure you're climbing the right tree.

"Manju" is a Japanese sweet.

FYI... "Sweet rising sun"

Stacey...

Usagawa Montu

River of Osiris of the Rising Sun Warrior God, a "sweet taste of the rising sun"

Not that anyone cares, and not that you asked, but in my own parallel research of Montauk, Long Island, and Manhattan, and Maine... all the "Menna" prefixes on the East Coast, I came across another Montu reference... with an amazing sun disk shaped like the candy...

http://img340.imageshack.us/i/montu888.jpg/

Montu, Solar and Warrior God, by Taylor Ray Ellison

Egypt: Montu, Solar and Warrior God

"Throughout the world in ancient times, man worshipped the sun. We find monuments to the sun gods all over the world, but in Egypt we really begin to get a feel for just how the sun dominated early theology. In Egypt, at various locations and apparently somewhat independently, the worship of the sun developed with gods of various names. So many of Egypt's deities were associated with the sun in some way that it is difficult to identify them, and their various forms became very complex. Montu, who we generally identify as an ancient war god in Egypt, actually originated in the form of a local solar god in Upper (southern) Egypt, apparently at Hermonthis (City of the Sun). His worship seems to have been exported to Thebes during the 11th Dynasty."

"It should also be noted that Montu had a connection with Egyptian households and was probably considered a protector of the happy home. He was often cited in marriage documents. One document from Deir el-Medina invokes the rage of a husband to his unfaithful wife with, "It is the abomination of Montu!"

Back in 2007, I made a (frankly) weak attempt at trying to show the incredible language similarities with Japanese and Egyptian and Aztec languages. It is still instructive, I believe, however flawed you might validly feel about my opinions.

Japanese, Egyptian, Aztec Connections...?
Japanese, Egyptian, Aztec Connections...?

Usukawa

Thank you all so much for you thoughts and ideas, it has given me ideas about research. Ed, I like your suggestions about reading up on the connections between Egyptian, Aztec and Japanese connections, you have given me some research to do!

Again, thank you all for your replies!

Usukawa

Thank you all for you replies. Ed, I liked the suggestion regarding the connections between Egypt, Aztec and Japanese, you have given me some research to do.

Thank you all again!
Stacey

p.s. In my search to find the origins, I now know only of 2 Usukawa families the immigrated to North America. One originated from Hotaku, Kumamoto and the other 2 from Ishikawa.

Back
Top Bottom