What's new

Name meaning?

mach

後輩
22 Nov 2003
Hi all,

Wonder if you can help me?
I'm trying to find out what the name Emi means. I was told that it meant 'smile' but I'm not sure this is right- is there a Japanese name that means smile? (I'm looking for possible baby names and want to be sure I'm not giving my little girl something weird!!)

Thanks for any help...

Mach

As far as I know Emi can mean smile, I think the name would be written 恵美..I'm sure someone else can give a better answer

On the other hand, this "emi"(笑み) does literally refer to smile as well as laugh -- I'm just not aware of it as a name. Another possibility is the name "maemi" with the meaning honest (ma) smile, if anyone knows the kanji involved....

微笑 <-----> びしょう <------ "Bishou" means smile the two characters at the beggining are the kanji for it....I think it's accurate so...yea...there ya go

well....that I'm not 100% sure of, but a couple ppl in chats i talked to didn't see why it couldn't be

Well, Japanese names are by nature strictly defined....so it would be or not, but I'll ask around as well. ;)

Yeah, there are only a couple of kanji used in names. You could name an English character "Fqwhgads" (a la Homestarrunner.com ^^), but it wouldn't necessarily mean anything or sound like a name, just because it's made with English letters.

The closest you'll come to a direct translation might be a couple renderings of "emiko" -- but it still looks like that is exceedingly rare. It just seems too blunt, smile is OK, but who would want there kid to be known as the 'laughing girl' or 'girl of laughter'...

Actually, I am told there are hundreds of girl's names with ツ湘 but still can't find any online examples so I asked for some to be mailed. Too funny :D.

Originally posted by mach
Hi all,

Wonder if you can help me?
I'm trying to find out what the name Emi means. I was told that it meant 'smile' but I'm not sure this is right- is there a Japanese name that means smile? (I'm looking for possible baby names and want to be sure I'm not giving my little girl something weird!!)

Thanks for any help...

Mach
I'm led to believe these three would all be choice names for a girl.

笑美(えみ : Emi, beautiful smile)、笑子(えみこ : Emiko, smiling child)、美笑(みえ : Mie, also beautiful smile):)

Back
Top Bottom