What's new

Name in Japanese

magevampjoe

Sempai
5 Dec 2007
OK, I know that kanji isn't really correct to make an English name, but I decided to do it anyway.

My first name is Joseph, so after a long time checking hundreds of websites for an average meaning (some word it differently) I take the meaning as 'he shall add', which is יוֹסֵף (pronounced yosef like the Germans pronounce it). OK, so for 'he shall add', I have a problem: 'he', I take it in that sentence, refers to God, but it may not, it might mean the owner of the name. I then chose the word 'to increase' in Japanese, 増やす, which yes I know it is a verb

Can anyone else do any better with my name. 'He shall add' is the meaning, but can anyone think of a kanji name that works with that?

It's just a little fun, and I can hopefully learn meanings of kanji from doing this. Once I have got the hang of it, I shall do my friends names etc, and I should be able to learn meanings by names.

Thanks, Joe

The only reading for 増 that I've personally encountered is "masu," and in last names, but Enamdict brought up quite a few other readings, a few of which I've heard before but not anyone I know personally.

増 【ます】 Masu (s) 【ぞう】 Zou (p) 【とくま】 Tokuma (s) 【とくまし】 Tokumashi (s) 【まさる】 Masaru (u) 【まし】 Mashi (p) 【ますさき】 Masusaki (s) 【ますざき】 Masuzaki (s)

There are many names that use that kanji as well. Generally, it seems more common for foreigners to adopt alliterations that sound like their own names, but it's not unheard of to take a name based on its meaning.

How about Josefu?
Your name in hiragana and katakana written as pronounced, Josefu
じょせふ
ジョセフ
But written in kanji as 神加 Shinka - God's addition.

Ah thank you Indiana!

I already knew josefu, as my full name is written 'rofueruru josefu'. (I use joo)

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom