What's new

Name Change

annana

Kouhai
Reaction score
I am going to get married and thinking whether I should change my name following my husband's family name. I thought it is a must, but actually I found that's not for Gaijin wives....
I think the name will just follows my home country's passport, right?
So, what if I want to change to a Japanese name? Should I go back to my home country to change it and then tell the ward office to change? Or, I can change it for the use in Japan only?

I am really confused. Hope someone can help!!

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
It's not a must for Japanese wives either. You can choose to change at the time you register your marriage. Or you may do so at some later point. I believe there is a time limit of six months for doing it via a simple procedure at your local city hall. After that period you would have to go through Family Court in order to do it.

How your home country handles it is something you would need to check with your embassy.

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
I don't understand why you think you have to return to your home country. Get married there, decide whether to take your husband's name. Get married here, same story.

As Zorro wrote, you have 6 months after getting married before it becomes difficult in Japan. That's the only real decision you have to make. Now or later, that is.

Talk to people who have taken or not taken their husband's name. Get their opinion. One thing to consider is whose name your children will get. Whatever yours is. Do you want kids with a different last name than your husband?

annana

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thanks all!
I thought Japanese need to keep one family in the same surname, didn't know Japanese wives can choose not to have their names changed....Actually my Japanese friends didn't know they can keep their own last name......

Thank you Glenski for the links! The second one really helps!!!
Which means I need to change my name in my home country too....

We are now living in Hong Kong are going to get marry here then move to Japan later this year.
In this case, I will change my ID and passport here before I move to Japan to make everything align...

The only think I need to concern is my passport and his Hong Kong ID.....
All the stuff need to be done in Japan will be my fiance's task....私は日本語が全然わかりません~ hahahaha~~~