What's new

My New Restaurant Chain!

Congratulations on your new restaraunt chain. Those burgers look....interesting.

Cant wait to get to Hokkaido and try out those Whale burgers.... better whale than dolphin right? Oh dear who am I kidding... sorry I dont know if I will try one. My Japanese friends always said that whale in their school lunches was great, does sound a lot better than peanut butter sandwiches. Actually I dont even like seafood, which fish would be best likened to whale?

That looks really good!
I would love to try Genghis Khan Burger.

I knew that Hokkaido was an awsome place to have great food, fresh seafood, fresh meat etc, it's a shame that I've never been there.

Looks great mp, but I have to say that I prefer not to eat whale meat... :) due to many reasons......I would choose salad!!

I don't get the whole obsession with whales in Japan and now Whale meat burgers
There are so few of them out there nowadays, now we even want to make them into fast food crap ? :mad:
What are they going to come up with next these geniuses ? Whale fishsticks?
I hope they don't already have them...........

And the great part is that the idea came from an university professor :eek:

i didnt know that whale meat was tasty, i thought they were only used for gum and ink.. hmm dont think that its sanctioned in america, im sure they would have been exploited by now if they were

Mainichi said:
lamb that will be used in its Genghis Khan Burger - an idea proposed by Koichi Sera, 40, an assistant professor at Hokkai Gakuen University.
The attraction of the lamb burger could have the following factors; 1) mad-cow scare driving burgerphiles to alternative meat choices 2) attraction of continental culture, more emphasising the 'grandiose empire building' Mogol history that failed to invade Japan in 1274 and 1281 :samurai: 3) so-called ethnogenesis of the Japanese people in the Baikal-Gobi periphery.

As for the Kujira Burgers, taking a bite off the monsterous whale or its cousin species Godzilla, can also be taken positively by the gourmets because 1) it reinforces the so-called whale eating tradition 2) Captain Abe against Moby Dick as a hero who fought the invincible foe (read in modern history if you will) 3) the new Kujira Burger could make whaling a more lucrative business, giving more legitimacy to the whalers and those who support them.

But who would shy away from taking a bite off the monster ? :liplick: It gives pride back to humans who's suffered from too much inhibition... :smash: but I honestly think they should make the patties more palatable by adding more onion and not frying the whole chunk which looks very greasy to me. Also should be added some sweet mustard sauce, a slice of tomato, and definitely more lettuce ! :liplick:

WTO Mike Moore on Whale Burgers, 2002-06-02

They've been cooking up the whale burger in Geneva all along since some time before June 2002, so it wasn't a new idea after all as. Back door entry disquised as an ingenius discovery of a new way to consume the whale ?

(The professor Koichi Sera, 40, an assistant professor at Hokkai Gakuen University, proposed the Genghis Khan Burger, and Toshihiro Okawa, 37, an employee of a whale meat sales company in Tokyo suggested the whale burger acc. to Mainichi.)

"Head of the World Trade Organisation and former New Zealand Prime Minister Mike Moore has lent his support to the Japanese Whale industry by fronting a 100% Whale Burger campaign. The campaign (was) funded by the Japanese Government."

Mike Moore Throws Weight Behind 100% Whale Burger Campaign
Spinner said:
The campaign, funded by the Japanese Government, is designed to promote the benefits of consuming whale meat to a sceptical international market. The advertisements feature Moore tucking in to a generous ¼ pound slab of whale meat complemented by lettuce, onions and beetroot before delivering the catchphrase "Have a Whale of a Time at your next BBQ, Try a 100% Whale Burger Today !"

Moore, a staunch proponent of using international trade to improve the plight of developing nations was only too happy to lend his support to the campaign. "Small pacific nations shouldn't be turning their back on the potentially lucrative whale trade, they should embrace the opportunity with both arms. Just think, once modified, the many lagoons on pacific islands would be perfect whale farms."
Helping developing nations: is that the primary motive of the whale burger promotion ? I would like to see some solid facts, statistics, and business projection; but if there is no existing market, how can one project anything ? Or is there a specific political agenda to serve, such as that of the fund provider ? :D
"Pacific Nations should be thinking less about creating Whale Santuary's and more about creating whale Safari's, to tap into the lucrative Japanese tourism market."
So is it about selling whale burgers to Japanese tourists in the Pacific region ?
Head of the Japanese Whale Commission Taka Yokoshi is adamant that whale meat is the luxury delicacy of the future. "I have dined on some of the worlds rarest species, Panda Steaks, Black Robin Omelettes, BBQ Panther Ribs you name it, but let me assure you that Whale meat is the finest delicacy of them all, and its about time you round-eyes got into line on this one."
A tad too eager to impress readers with the sublime taste of whale cuisine, some wild animals had to be sacrificed ! Now I know what people at the Japanese Whale Commission are into; trying all the rare species so that the whale species are not the first to go down ? Wait, that just changed with the whale burger. Tax money well spent ! Exactly how much was spent since 2002 (and fro earlier) to promote whale meat consumption ? :rolleyes:
"We Japanese have a right to eat whatever we want. What would you do if we told New Zealanders. 'No More Sunday Lamb Roast Meat'?" You wouldn't like it would you? What we are saying with this campaign is "don't knock it till you try it"."
Of course, but that somehow burns me... The arrogant blurting out brings nightmarish flashbacks about cannibalism in China; Korean and Japanese historians had to plead with the Chinese counterparts to exclude the cannibalistic kyoza during the 2nd Sino-Japanese War as it would be too shocking for the junior high school students of CJK. Why the sudden, defensive, cultural relativity rhetoric; is he trying to be friendly, and then suddenly shifting into assertiveness ?
Yokoshi went on to state that there would be no fear of contracting any BSE type diseases when eating Japanese whale meat as "it has all been 100% scientifically tested."

©Copyright 2004, Spinner
In science, there is no 100%, so we know this is unscientific crap. Suppose a freighter went down with 10,000 heads of cattle, and 10 cows were infected with BSE before being detected, and a couple of Kujiras came along for a meal... what now ? :D
I'd try the stuff anyway, but selling the idea in such crude, uncouth, feigned scientific crap is insulting to say the least. It might have been nice at least for the Whaling Commission to feed the hungry with all that funding for political pitching that only irritates, that is if the recipients were willing to try whale meat in order not to starve. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom