• Made up your own using Kanji

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Translated phonetically in Kanji

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Don't have a japanese name

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
10 Aug 2003
I really don't know much about the whole japanese naming system, but I don't like the way my name translates in Japanese, and I was just checking to see if it is possible to create my own japanese name by putting together common kanji used for names, or should I just go through a list and pick one out? you tell me.

-X-

this is my name 香里奈 My husband made it for me when we were dating :inlove:
It has a nice feel to it I'm told. Unlike someone I know who translated her name phonetically and the kanji can also be read as "always drinking". hehe

I just always use Katakana for mine. I've never really felt the need to use Kanji for my name. In Katakana, my name(Rachel) is written like this:レイチェル, and in Romaji, I would spell it like Recheru, even though I'm told the formal way would be to spell it like Reityeru....hmmmm...

Originally posted by jeisan
or you can go by raichu, like the pokemon :p

I'm sure that would be way cool to my 5 year old if he had a mom that named herself after Raichu... :p

Translated phonetically in Kanji

People actually do that? I thought my girlfriend was the only one. She told me she "wrote her name in Kanji" a long time ago, and explained. Her name is Amber, and she found a couple ways to write Kanji that matched アンバー and アマバー. But she only did that for fun, she doesn't write it like that. Her and I both use Katakana.

Originally posted by Johnathan
People actually do that? I thought my girlfriend was the only one. She told me she "wrote her name in Kanji" a long time ago, and explained. Her name is Amber, and she found a couple ways to write Kanji that matched アンバー and アマバー. But she only did that for fun, she doesn't write it like that. Her and I both use Katakana.
There are actually several ways to convert Western names into kanji -- based on spelling or meaning per shown in books like this. And of course it's all "just for fun" if you're not a Japanese national. Nothing is going to be officially recognized in North America or Europe that I'm aware of :).

Write Your Name in Kanji: Nobuo Sato: 9784900737358: Amazon.com: Books

I forget where I translated my name. It was a long time ago that I did it. :/

It told me that my name in Japanese is Kyasuri.

I was told that you can get the v sound by putting the " on the u. Can anyone verify this? it is my last name.

Hoover ==>fu-u"a
The nihongo no sensei I had in high school told me that my last name is the fu, followed by a dash, then the u with the ", and an a

ヴ - vu

Add mini e's, a's, i's, o's to make into ve, va, vi, vo, etc. But I think B's are still used a lot more for V's in Katakana.

Do people use the v's a lot?
I think the only place where I've recalled v used was for Evangelion as E-va-n-ge-ri-o-n

Well let's see. If Visa is translated to Bisa...

Perhaps Dave would translate to Dabe...

Edit In: I'm pretty sure there are no Vs in Katakana. Adding the " mark will change the Hs to Bs.

YAY ^_^ 😄 😄 :p :p

I have a Japanese name ^_^

Thanks for letting me know Master-of -Sorrow

Dauido or Daue ^_^

now only to learn how to pronounce it properly :eek:

Back
Top Bottom