What's new
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

My name in Japanese

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

How did you translate your (first) name into Japanese

• Used Katakana

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Made up your own using Kanji

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Translated phonetically in Kanji

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Don't have a japanese name

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I really don't know much about the whole japanese naming system, but I don't like the way my name translates in Japanese, and I was just checking to see if it is possible to create my own japanese name by putting together common kanji used for names, or should I just go through a list and pick one out? you tell me.

-X-

jspecdan

後輩
Reaction score
depends upon what kind of name you want. you should be known as "kintama"

neko_girl22

先輩
Reaction score
this is my name 香里奈 My husband made it for me when we were dating :inlove:
It has a nice feel to it I'm told. Unlike someone I know who translated her name phonetically and the kanji can also be read as "always drinking". hehe

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Reaction score
I just always use Katakana for mine. I've never really felt the need to use Kanji for my name. In Katakana, my name(Rachel) is written like this:レイチェル, and in Romaji, I would spell it like Recheru, even though I'm told the formal way would be to spell it like Reityeru....hmmmm...

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeisan
or you can go by raichu, like the pokemon :p

I'm sure that would be way cool to my 5 year old if he had a mom that named herself after Raichu... :p

Johnathan

先輩
Reaction score
Translated phonetically in Kanji

People actually do that? I thought my girlfriend was the only one. She told me she "wrote her name in Kanji" a long time ago, and explained. Her name is Amber, and she found a couple ways to write Kanji that matched アンバー and アマバー. But she only did that for fun, she doesn't write it like that. Her and I both use Katakana.

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan
People actually do that? I thought my girlfriend was the only one. She told me she "wrote her name in Kanji" a long time ago, and explained. Her name is Amber, and she found a couple ways to write Kanji that matched アンバー and アマバー. But she only did that for fun, she doesn't write it like that. Her and I both use Katakana.
There are actually several ways to convert Western names into kanji -- based on spelling or meaning per shown in books like this. And of course it's all "just for fun" if you're not a Japanese national. Nothing is going to be officially recognized in North America or Europe that I'm aware of :).

Write Your Name in Kanji: Nobuo Sato: 9784900737358: Amazon.com: Books

Kat

Sesshoumaru Fangirl
Reaction score
I forget where I translated my name. It was a long time ago that I did it. :/

It told me that my name in Japanese is Kyasuri.

Swifty

先輩
Reaction score
Can someone tell me mine?

My name is Dave or David

Thanks I have always been curious ^_^

samuraitora

先輩
Reaction score
Aw. Come on. Raichu...why don't you like it...lol

私の 名前は 日本語で ジョン です。

samuraitora

先輩
Reaction score
I was told that you can get the v sound by putting the " on the u. Can anyone verify this? it is my last name.

Hoover ==>fu-u"a
The nihongo no sensei I had in high school told me that my last name is the fu, followed by a dash, then the u with the ", and an a

Keiichi

Hi
Reaction score
I thought v's were usually translated to b's. So Hoover would be like Fuuba (フーバ).

Johnathan

先輩
Reaction score
ヴ - vu

Add mini e's, a's, i's, o's to make into ve, va, vi, vo, etc. But I think B's are still used a lot more for V's in Katakana.

Keiichi

Hi
Reaction score
Do people use the v's a lot?
I think the only place where I've recalled v used was for Evangelion as E-va-n-ge-ri-o-n

Reaction score
Well let's see. If Visa is translated to Bisa...

Perhaps Dave would translate to Dabe...

Edit In: I'm pretty sure there are no Vs in Katakana. Adding the " mark will change the Hs to Bs.

Swifty

先輩
Reaction score
YAY ^_^ 😄 😄 :p :p

I have a Japanese name ^_^

Thanks for letting me know Master-of -Sorrow

Dauido or Daue ^_^

now only to learn how to pronounce it properly :eek:

Top Bottom